An error occurred while running detection. Cannot install .exe files (SP1, or any other KB) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a strange problem, on the server running Central Admin(Server 1), I cannot install any .exe files, they all go straigh to "An error occurred while running detection" after I accept the license agreements.

SharePoint is in RTM version 14.0.4763.1000. Only on the server NOT running Central Admin(Server 2), a patch is installed (Microsoft Update for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 (KB2560890) 14.0.6106.5009) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2560890 The PatchStatus page shows this update as Missing/Requred on Server 1.

I can install .exe files on Server 2. (I tried with SP1 but canceled).

I've tried to run different .exe files, run as administrator, logged in as different users. (The account to the guy who had this server before me and got DB access, farm admin, SPFarmAdmin, and my personal farm admin account) None seems to work.

PSConfig will not run, because of the missing KB on Server 1.

I'm kind of stuck, and none of the top google/technet hits provided any solution. Hope anyone here got some usefull tips! Thank you!

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:20 PM

Answers

• After a repair of SharePoint, the problem was fixed :)
    • Marked as answer by sindsind Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:54 AM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:54 AM

All replies

• Can you provide a screenshot?

Trevor Seward, MCC

Follow or contact me at...

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 8:28 PM
  • Hope I did not explain to bad, and hope this helps.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:41 AM
  • I get access denied when attempting to view that image.  Can you upload it to http://imgur.com or SkyDrive (and mark it public)?

Trevor Seward, MCC

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:42 AM
  • Wanted to try out SkyDrive, didnt know about the public thing. Its public now, and heres the link in case direct link dont work. (Had to view source to get it :) )

http://sdrv.ms/16Rabuy

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:51 AM
  • Okay cool, can you look in %tmp%?  There should be MSI logs in there that may give better feedback.

Trevor Seward, MCC

Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:53 AM
  • Textfiles with names opatchinstall is beeing created there.

http://pastebin.com/UuNdLFiZ

There exist no msi logfiles. I've checked Event Log, nothing about the install there, but there is only 5GB free space on the system disk, and a warning about it from the Health Analyzer so I've contacted the hosting provider to increase it.

The same error shows when I try to install KB's related to the KB that is missing from the server.

• Edited by sindsind Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:46 AM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 7:22 AM
  • After a repair of SharePoint, the problem was fixed :)
    • Marked as answer by sindsind Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:54 AM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:54 AM
  • Repair of SharePoint fixed my problem too :), though it took a lot of time.

Thursday, September 17, 2015 6:53 PM
  • To avoid the validation check, you must type on command line the next 

package.exe PACKAGE.BYPASS.DETECTION.CHECK=1

with this you'll jump te validation.

Thursday, May 16, 2019 6:35 PM
  • To avoid the validation check, you must type on command line the next 

package.exe PACKAGE.BYPASS.DETECTION.CHECK=1

with this you'll jump te validation.

Never do this. You'll put yourself in an unsupported state.

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

Thursday, May 16, 2019 9:09 PM
  • Please share steps I am facing same while updating Apr2019 CU 
    Friday, July 26, 2019 7:41 PM