none
Hyper-V Failed to Change State Error Code 32788 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone, 

So this issue I've searched long and wide for a resolution and it seems that there are many responses however no 100% fix. 

I'm currently using Windows Server 2016 Datacenter, with 4 Windows 10 VM's attached through Hyper-V. Ultimately I would like to have 2 of the 4 VM's have the Virtual 3dFX add-in card enabled. Everything was working perfectly well when the system wasn't promoted to the domain controller. However, when the system is promoted, the 2 VM's that have the 3dfx add-in, when trying to boot them up, produce the error "Hyper-V Failed to Change State Error Code 32788". 

I've tried: creating a brand new VM after the domain joins with all the basic settings and have narrowed it down to the fact that the VM will boot perfectly fine when the 3dfx card is removed. I've gone through the settings and there was nothing in an error state. I've tried putting the 3dfx settings to the lowest possible, however i dont feel with after joining the domain, that should have any issue. 

Can anyone shed some light on this issue please? 

Thank you in advance! 

Monday, February 18, 2019 7:19 PM

Answers

• It's not clear where the domain controller role is? If installed on host this is not recommended to mix roles like that. Better option would be to stand up a dedicated guest for active directory domain services.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Maafeu Monday, February 18, 2019 10:30 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2019 9:00 PM

All replies

• It's not clear where the domain controller role is? If installed on host this is not recommended to mix roles like that. Better option would be to stand up a dedicated guest for active directory domain services.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Maafeu Monday, February 18, 2019 10:30 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2019 9:00 PM
  • Thanks for that! 

I've gone back to the drawing board and have done just that. 

I'll have the Physical server hosting the VM's that's off the domain completely. I'll push the 3dfx card through to the VM's from there, that should solve the problem for the two other VM's that will be using the 3dfx addon. One of the VM's will be the DC that will act as DHCP and DNS as well. 

Many thanks! 

Monday, February 18, 2019 10:30 PM
  • You're welcome. Sounds like a better plan. Best to not install roles other than Hyper-V on the host.

Monday, February 18, 2019 10:41 PM