NEW DC name change RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everybody, 

I had just setup a new 2012R2 DC when the next day I realized that it had the wrong name. I changed the name without thinking about it through the GUI. Everything looks good when I run a DCdiag look at DNS and check event logs. 

Question: Can I get away with renaming through the GUI or is this going to cause issues further down the road? How would you recommend proceeding? 

Thanks!

Monday, March 2, 2020 8:51 PM

Answers

• Should be Ok, Other options are to demote , rename, promo it again. Also steps here can be used.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc816601%28v%3dws.10%29

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 2, 2020 8:56 PM
  • Hi,
    As others said, you could change the name of a domain controller, however, it is generally suggested to be done including:
    New hardware is purchased to replace an existing domain controller.
    Domain controllers are decommissioned or promoted and renamed to maintain a naming convention.
    Domain controllers are moved or placed in sites.

And after you rename your domain controller, you must manually update the File Replication Service (FRS) or Distributed File System (DFS) Replication member object. This object must be updated with the new domain controller name so that the domain controller can replicate SYSVOL. Because the FRS or DFS Replication member object is not updated with the domain controller name automatically during the domain controller rename, we recommend that you rename your server before you promote it to domain controller status.

Best Regards,

Vicky

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Smartbody Tuesday, March 3, 2020 1:57 PM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2020 9:07 AM

All replies

• Should be Ok, Other options are to demote , rename, promo it again. Also steps here can be used.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc816601%28v%3dws.10%29

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 2, 2020 8:56 PM
  • Hi,
    As others said, you could change the name of a domain controller, however, it is generally suggested to be done including:
    New hardware is purchased to replace an existing domain controller.
    Domain controllers are decommissioned or promoted and renamed to maintain a naming convention.
    Domain controllers are moved or placed in sites.

And after you rename your domain controller, you must manually update the File Replication Service (FRS) or Distributed File System (DFS) Replication member object. This object must be updated with the new domain controller name so that the domain controller can replicate SYSVOL. Because the FRS or DFS Replication member object is not updated with the domain controller name automatically during the domain controller rename, we recommend that you rename your server before you promote it to domain controller status.

Best Regards,

Vicky

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Smartbody Tuesday, March 3, 2020 1:57 PM
    Tuesday, March 3, 2020 9:07 AM
  • Hi,<o:p></o:p>

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved.<o:p></o:p>

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.<o:p></o:p>

Have a nice day!

Vicky<o:p></o:p>

Wednesday, March 4, 2020 2:40 AM