none
Disk error - but which physical drive is it ?

Question

• Hi - I'm occasionally seeing in Sever Manager > Events > ID 153 - "The IO operation at logical block address 10028 for Disk 6 was retried"
    I have a boot-drive (obviously), and a Storage Space consisting of 4 drives setup as a 2-way mirror

In CompMgmt, I can (only) see:
    Disk4 - System Reserved & (C:)
    Disk5 - Storage Space (D:)

How can I find out which physical drive is Drive 6 ?

-Tom

Friday, October 12, 2012 1:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Tom,

From the above I can see that you have 5 physical disks (disk numbers 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4) and a storage space (disk number 5)

The SS consists of the disks 0 to 3 and disk 4 is your system disk.

Disk 6 is for sure an external storage device that is currently not connected or enabled, otherwise it would show up here.

Luc.

Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:34 PM

All replies

• Storage Spaces includes a Control Panel applet which will help you out, but (to be honest) if you have 4 identical drives you may have to simply disconnect one at a time. (This will not harm your data.) Repeat as needed until Disk 6 goes away. :)

You could also read up on Storage Spaces; there's some good information on Technet, and I recommend this blog post as well.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Friday, October 12, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Perhaps I didn't explain fully - the stumbling-block, is that (even in the SS applet), I can't see anything called "Disk 6"

I'll have a look at the links you cite, and also see if I can pull the info using PowerShell

Friday, October 12, 2012 7:34 PM
  • This info should be in the registry.

Have a look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Disk\Enum.

Luc.

Saturday, October 13, 2012 12:12 PM
  • Hi Luc - this is what I've got:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\disk\Enum]
    "0"="SCSI\\Disk&Ven_WDC&Prod_WD10EACS-65D6B0\\4&314aa983&0&000000"
    "1"="SCSI\\Disk&Ven_WDC&Prod_WD10EACS-65D6B0\\4&314aa983&0&010000"
    "2"="SCSI\\Disk&Ven_WDC&Prod_WD10EACS-65D6B0\\4&314aa983&0&020000"
    "3"="SCSI\\Disk&Ven_&Prod_ST31000340AS\\4&314aa983&0&030000"
    "4"="SCSI\\Disk&Ven_ATA&Prod_FUJITSU_MJA2500B\\5&23edb610&0&000100"
    "5"="STORAGE\\Disk\\{d8cabde7-ccd9-11e1-bbc5-441ea13ee209}"
    "Count"=dword:00000006
    "NextInstance"=dword:00000006

Looking at the details of Event 153 (there were 40 of them all within 1 minute), it actually shows : "\Device\Harddisk6\DR8"
    I've Google'd this and (some) hits point to it possibly being a USB device - perhaps a USB stick ?
    (My drives are all SATA, and hang off an IBM BR10i SAS controller)

Anyway, there have been no further errors
    -Tom

Saturday, October 13, 2012 3:28 PM
  • Hi Tom,

From the above I can see that you have 5 physical disks (disk numbers 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4) and a storage space (disk number 5)

The SS consists of the disks 0 to 3 and disk 4 is your system disk.

Disk 6 is for sure an external storage device that is currently not connected or enabled, otherwise it would show up here.

Luc.

Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Thanks Luc - just to double-check,

I plugged-in a USB stick, and checked [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\disk\Enum] again, and
    "6"="USBSTOR\\Disk&Ven_Kingston&Prod_DataTraveler_2.0&Rev_PMAP\\5B71188D83FC&0" had been added 

I also ran CompMgmt/DiskMgmt again, and sure enough the USB stick was showing as "Disk 6"

-Tom

Saturday, October 13, 2012 8:00 PM
  • I am getting exactly the same errors in my event log every time Windows Server Backup initiates a backup. I am running a single boot disk (mirrored) which is disk 0 and a remote iSCSI backup disk (which is disk 1). The errors I get refer to a disk 2. Presumably I must have plugged a USB stick in at some time. BUT I feel that this is a bug that should be addressed by MS (I spend a while trying to work out whether one of the disks of the mirror was faulty - which isn't simple on 2012 Core). How does it know that there was a disk 2 when in the normal state such a disk does not show in the registry or server manager or anywhere else? Should it not ignore disks that are not active?

Mark

MarkU

Saturday, December 29, 2012 4:26 PM
  • Windows Server Backup causes IO retry on non-present disk.

Each time Windows Server Backup ran I would see "The IO operation at logical block address xxxxx for Disk 2 was retried" in the event log. But the system does not have a "Disk 2". The fix was to remove all non-present (ghost) disk devices.

From an elevated command prompt:

:> set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
      :> devmgmt.msc

In Device Manager:

View -> Show hidden devices.
      Expand "Disk drives".
      Uninstall any non-present (gray) disk.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:27 PM
  • Windows Server Backup causes IO retry on non-present disk.

Each time Windows Server Backup ran I would see "The IO operation at logical block address xxxxx for Disk 2 was retried" in the event log. But the system does not have a "Disk 2". The fix was to remove all non-present (ghost) disk devices.

From an elevated command prompt:

:> set DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
      :> devmgmt.msc

In Device Manager:

View -> Show hidden devices.
      Expand "Disk drives".
      Uninstall any non-present (gray) disk.

Sounds like this would be normal behavior then for situations where backup drives are cycled (one on premise, one off-site). Since you have to have all drives present to setup Windows Backup, the system assumes they are always there. Seems like a bug, IMO. But then again, the requirement to have all drives present to reconfigure backup is a bigger issue that makes even less sense.
    Wednesday, February 05, 2014 8:35 PM