none
DFSR replication can't be used on a ReFS volume? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an existing Server 2008 R2 machine with a set of DFSR folders. I can add NTFS volumes on the Server 8 beta machine to this DFS group just fine.

However, for a volume that is formatted on the Server 8 beta machine as ReFS, when using the "New Member Wizard" (on the Server 8 beta machine) to add it to the existing DFSR group, I get the error "E:\Files is not on an NTFS volume. Replication can only occur on NTFS volumes".

This must be a bug, no? How we will be able to migrate to ReFS, if ReFS data volumes can't be added to DFSR replication groups?

Monday, May 21, 2012 11:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I successfully added a folder on an ReFS volume to a replication group (on a Windows 2008 R2 system). Thus it should be supported but there is an issue on Windows Server 8 beta as it provided an incorrect error. I'm still testing on it. Meanwhile please also test to add the same shared folder on a non-Windows 8 system if available.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:25 AM
  • I get the same error when running the "New Member Wizard" from the Windows 2008 R2 machine. It shows me the shares on the Server 8 beta machine, but it doesn't allow me to select a shared folder on a volume that is formatted with ReFS (and pre-seeded with a copy of the files).

I can add replication to shares that are on Windows 8 / NTFS volumes just fine. It's just ReFS volumes that cause the error.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:43 PM
  • Additional info : I was able to add the ReFS volume to a new DFSR group (not using the new member wizard, but using the new DFSR group wizard). But it gave the same warning that the Server 8 beta volume was not on an NTFS volume.

Then, running a diagnostic report sometime later, I get the error:

The replicated folder Users has an invalid local path.

Description: DFS Replication cannot replicate the replicated folder Users because the local path E:\Users is not the fully qualified path name of an existing, accessible local folder. This replicated folder is not replicating to or from this server. Event ID: 6404

So ReFS doesn't look supported on Windows 8 beta for DFSR.

Saturday, May 26, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Hi David,

Thank you for your testing.

I tried again with Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 8 and this time I get the same result as yours. On Windows 2008 R2, though the folder target is added, replication will not work with an error "path <path> is not the fully qualified path name of an existing, accessible local folder". On Windows 8 I cannot add the folder target with the same error in your first post "Repication can only occur on NTFS volumes".

Thus it seems that ReFS is not supported in DFSR at least in current version. I will try to confirm with related department to see if it is a temp limit.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:19 AM
  • Hi David,

Thx much for your query. For Windows Server 2012, Dfs replication is not supported on ReFS volumes.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:13 PM
  • Thanks. This should probably be made clearer. I don't this documented anywhere.

Also, this dramatically reduces the usefulness of ReFS for now. I assume it will be added at some point in the future (maybe Server 2012 R2?).

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:21 PM
  • As Manish reports, you need to locate any folders that you want to replicate on volumes formatted with the NTFS file system. DFS Replication does not support the Resilient File System (ReFS) or the FAT file system. DFS Replication also does not support replicating content stored on Cluster Shared Volumes.

I hope that this helps - for more information on DFS Namespaces and DFS Replication in Windows Server 2012, please see DFS Namespaces and DFS Replication Overview.

Jason Gerend - Writer, Windows Server Information Experience

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 11:34 PM
  • What's the word for Windows Server 2016's implementation of these technologies? Is Windows server 2016's DFS replication supported for use with Windows Server 2016's implementation of ReFs? Is this documented anywhere?

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 3:34 PM
  • I just tested DFS namespace with replication on server 2016 with ReFs. It allows addition of shared folders on ReFs volumes, however replication will not work.

Error Message in Diagnostic report:

DFS Replication cannot replicate the replicated folder "FolderName" because the local path "Local path" is not the fully qualified path name of an existing accessible local folder. This replicated folder is not replicating to or from this server. Event ID:6404

• Edited by Sam-tech Tuesday, August 14, 2018 2:31 AM m
    Tuesday, August 14, 2018 2:28 AM
  • This is the kind of BS that frustrates me to NO END with Microsoft and why I continue to recommend alternatives to their products whenever possible. The least they could do is include a simple message stating that ReFS is not supported when running the Wizard.  We've wasted several hours of Engineering time on this now at our own expense. WHY would ReFS not be supported at this point and why would you even allow the wizard to select a share on an ReFS volume.

RUN from ReFS - IT is a disaster waiting to happen. I've got my hip new DFS-N running in the latest "Server 2008 mode" (That is an entire Decade folks...). Excellent.

-Scott

Monday, October 1, 2018 8:00 PM
  • 2019 and MS can't be bothered to code DFS replication into ReFS. WTF, MS, get off your lazy butts and do work. Work that doesn't require patches and patches for patches. You have entirely lost your way.
    Friday, February 8, 2019 11:43 PM