none
How to get accelerated OpenGL during a RDC? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a collocated (remote hosted) Windows Server 2008 R2 with an engineering class 3D graphics card (Nvidia Quadra FX3700) with some OpenGL based data visualization programs attempting to access the graphics card's output. One program generates a bunch of data, and a second one graphs the data using OpenGL, but the OpenGL is above the version 1.1 present in the "Generic GDI Driver" that appears at present.

I know the graphics card supports at least OpenGL 3.x...

What Server Roles and Features are needed and their configuration to enable accelerated OpenGL in these applications?

From the standpoint of an Apache Server hosting a web application which also calls these graphics programs, is that an entirely different topic, situation? (I would like to solve both situations.)

Thursday, May 3, 2012 10:10 PM

Answers

• Remote Desktop Virtualization Host not Session Host (formerly Terminal Server) will give you OpenGL....but only version 1.1 at best.  If you want true OpenGL support I suggest getting Citrix XenDesktop (not XenApp) but it needs a newer generation Nvidia Quadro/Tesla card than what you have.  Reason for the newer cards is they have a virtualization extension Nvidia's CUDA uses to expose OpenGL in XenDesktop.  Windows 8 Remote Desktop still has same OpenGL limitation.
    Monday, May 7, 2012 3:24 PM