none
wbadmin start backup -include question RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to backup 2 local drives (c: and d:) to a 3rd local drive (f:). I use the following command:

wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:f: -include:c:,d:

I always receive "The file 'c: d:' is invalid"

I have tried -incude:c:, d: as well as a number of other combinations of ", ' to no avail.

I can backup a single volume (c: OR d:) with the command "wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:f: -include:c:

Can someone please help me with what I am hoping is a simple solution?

Thanks

Monday, March 28, 2011 7:30 PM

Answers

• OK. I figured it out. When I surround the comma by ' characters it worked. Example:

wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:f: -include:c:','d:

Strange though, since all Microsoft docs simply state comma delimited. Still confused by the fact I must do something special with the comma.

• Marked as answer by Danny Tykon Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:15 PM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

It seems that the comma isn’t recognized correctly. Ensure that you type the comma in the half-angle mode.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that the comma isn’t recognized correctly. Ensure that you type the comma in the half-angle mode.

Best Regards

Dale

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:17 AM
  • My apologies. "Half-angle mode". What is that? I'm hitting the good old fashioned comma key on the keyboard.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 2:48 PM
  • OK. I figured it out. When I surround the comma by ' characters it worked. Example:

wbadmin start backup -backuptarget:f: -include:c:','d:

Strange though, since all Microsoft docs simply state comma delimited. Still confused by the fact I must do something special with the comma.

• Marked as answer by Danny Tykon Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:15 PM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Does anyone know what the moderator meant on his reply when he said "half-angle mode"? I think if I can figure this out it might solve other problems I am having using the powershell. Thanks!!!
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Many comma delimited commands in powershell don't want a space between them, or it'll parse a new command.  -include:c:,d:,e: is what is meant to be used, rather than putting spaces after the commas.
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 3:53 PM
  • I tried it without spaces and still got the same messasge. In fact I used your example include above and it still threw an error. The only way I was able to get it to work is sorround the , with ' characters. I'm still curious to know what the moderator meant by half-angle mode.
    Saturday, April 2, 2011 3:56 PM
  • The only way I could see that happening, is if your comma isn't the ASCII command that the app is expecting, like a foreign language comma, a non-english keyboard, or something similar.  Odd.
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 10:15 PM