none
No replication after disk crash RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Forest  with many domain. On one domain server, a disk crashed. This disk was replaced and now this domain cannot replicate.

I have event ID 2108, 1084, 1699, 474. As I can see NTDS.DIT is corrupted. I have tried to create a second domain controller but when I do a dcpromo, this error appear :

The operation failed because:

Active Directory could not replicate the directory partition CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=test,DC=dom from the remote domain controller ns101.test.dom.

"While accessing the hard disk, a disk operation failed even after retries."

How can I fix this or mount a new domain controller without loss ?

Thank you.

Monday, May 17, 2010 4:04 PM

Answers

• Hello,

you can try it to use ADMT, would be nice to hear if that works with a broken ntds.dit file.

And keep in mind that it is recommended to have at least 2 DC/DNS/DC per domain for failover and redundancy reason. And a second DC WILL NOT prevent you to run backups at least of the system state, which contains all AD related data, on a regular intervall.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 10:59 AM

All replies

• Hello,

please describe some more details about the crashed DC, was that the only one in the domain?

Was that a DC of the root domain holding any of the FSMO roles, check with "netdom query fsmo" without the quotes on a functioning DC?

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Hello,

The server bko03.ml.com is under Windows 2003 SP2 Enterprise. It is the only one DC on this domain. The forest DC ptx00.com is in good health.

So I cannot depromote this server.

For the FSMO roles for this server :

Domain role owner            ptx00.com

PDC role                          ptx00.com

RID pool manager            bko03.ml.com

Infrastructure owner         bko03.ml.com

Thank you

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Hello,

i am missing the schema master FSMO.

How did you restore bko03.ml.com after adding the new disk?

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:22 AM
  • Hello,

i am missing the schema master FSMO.

Sorry : schema master FSMO : bko03.ml.com

How did you restore bko03.ml.com after adding the new disk?

The main story is that in this country there are many power failure. It started by a power failure , UPS took over but it was quickly exhausted and server turn off brutaly.

When we restarted server, physical disk has been on failure, it has been replaced. I think that when server went off, read write operation on raid was on progress. The result is corruption of NTDS.DIT

Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:21 AM
  • Hello,

but how did you restore the DC from backup or image? Or did you add a new disk into a kind of RAID, if yes which RAID version is used?

Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:55 AM
  • Hello,

Yes, it was a new disk in RAID 5. In normal condition, it is invisible for the system.

After lauching a CHKDSK, no disk error appear. Now all disks are good.

Thanks.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:34 PM
  • Hello,

as the ntds.dit seems to be broken the only option is to use the latest backup and restore the DC.

Check this article also but without an existing second DC in the domain:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837932

Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:45 PM
  • Unfortunately, the last backup was done in 2008 !!

I have already follow your kb without success.

It seems that my last chance is to create a new domain and transfert all data with admt.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 1:51 PM
  • Hello,

you can try it to use ADMT, would be nice to hear if that works with a broken ntds.dit file.

And keep in mind that it is recommended to have at least 2 DC/DNS/DC per domain for failover and redundancy reason. And a second DC WILL NOT prevent you to run backups at least of the system state, which contains all AD related data, on a regular intervall.

Friday, May 21, 2010 10:59 AM