Unable to Connect to Virtual Disk Service.

Question

• When I run the Disk Management Snap on the local server i get an error
    message  in the status bar: Unable to Connect to Virtual Disk Service.
    In the System event log, there are four message in this order:

Service started. (Source = Virtual Disk Service)
    Service stopped. (Source = Virtual Disk Service)
    The Virtual Disk service entered the running state. (Source = Service
    Control Manager)
    The Virtual Disk service entered the stopped state. (Source = Service
    Control Manager)

so there are no errors.

the Virtual Disk service is configured to be started manually. however, if i change it to autmatic or start it myseld at boot, the service is then stopped when i run the Disk Manager.

the environment is Windows 2008  R2 Standard (build 7100). It is in its own
    workgroup. It has 8GM RAM, 4 SATA drives (2 are mirrored 512GB, 1TB and 1
    1.5TB)
    the only roles are Hyper-V and Backup and File Services
    The guest OS is SBS2008 and is the domain controller

Thursday, September 03, 2009 11:19 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for posting here.

Based on the experience, if there is something wrong with the physical disks that are attached on a Windows Server 2008 R2, the VDS could be failed to connect to the disks.

For a test purpose, I would like suggest you detach the other storage disks with remaining only OS disk on that computer. And then, please test to open Disk Management console to see if you can connect to Virtual Disk Service properly.

If the issue still exists, we may need to collect some information to analyze the issue.

As Disk Management snap-in work closely with Virtual Disk Service, We may enable VDS registry key on the problematic server to capture the VDS log file for the analysis.

a.         Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

b.         Locate the following subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vds

c.          Right-click the vds subkey, point to New, and then click Key.

d.         Name the new key DebugLog.

e.          Right-click the new DebugLog key, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

f.           Name the new value Level.

Double-click the new Level value, Set the value to 15 (hex 0xF) to on the Value data text box, and then click OK.

g.         The $VDS$.log file is created in the %Systemroot%\System32 folder.

Meanwhile, please also try using Process monitor to capture the process when you can reproduce the issue.

Steps: 

1. Download process monitor from the link given here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx 

2. Run the process monitor on the problematic server 

3. Start Process Monitor. You will see File/Registry activity is being captured.

Press Ctrl+E to stop logging data.

Press Ctrl+X to clear the currently captured data.

Under Process Monitor, press Ctrl+E to start gathering data. 

4. Now try to reproduce the issue.

Try to Open Disk Management console to reproduce the issue with error message "Unable to Connect to Virtual Disk Service" 

5. Under Process Monitor, Press Ctrl+E to stop capturing. 

6. Please save the captured data from Process Monitor to a file (File->Save)  

7. Press Ctrl + L to launch the Process Monitor filter.

You may send the process monitor file and $VDS$.log to tfwst@microsoft.com

I appreciate your time and efforts. Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Edited by David Shen Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Friday, October 09, 2009 8:23 AM
    Friday, September 04, 2009 4:35 AM
  • I resolved the problem by uninstalling Mcaffee Antivirus. Once i did that i was able to see all my disks in the disk manager
    • Marked as answer by biconix Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:58 AM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:58 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting here.

Based on the experience, if there is something wrong with the physical disks that are attached on a Windows Server 2008 R2, the VDS could be failed to connect to the disks.

For a test purpose, I would like suggest you detach the other storage disks with remaining only OS disk on that computer. And then, please test to open Disk Management console to see if you can connect to Virtual Disk Service properly.

If the issue still exists, we may need to collect some information to analyze the issue.

As Disk Management snap-in work closely with Virtual Disk Service, We may enable VDS registry key on the problematic server to capture the VDS log file for the analysis.

a.         Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

b.         Locate the following subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\vds

c.          Right-click the vds subkey, point to New, and then click Key.

d.         Name the new key DebugLog.

e.          Right-click the new DebugLog key, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.

f.           Name the new value Level.

Double-click the new Level value, Set the value to 15 (hex 0xF) to on the Value data text box, and then click OK.

g.         The $VDS$.log file is created in the %Systemroot%\System32 folder.

Meanwhile, please also try using Process monitor to capture the process when you can reproduce the issue.

Steps: 

1. Download process monitor from the link given here

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx 

2. Run the process monitor on the problematic server 

3. Start Process Monitor. You will see File/Registry activity is being captured.

Press Ctrl+E to stop logging data.

Press Ctrl+X to clear the currently captured data.

Under Process Monitor, press Ctrl+E to start gathering data. 

4. Now try to reproduce the issue.

Try to Open Disk Management console to reproduce the issue with error message "Unable to Connect to Virtual Disk Service" 

5. Under Process Monitor, Press Ctrl+E to stop capturing. 

6. Please save the captured data from Process Monitor to a file (File->Save)  

7. Press Ctrl + L to launch the Process Monitor filter.

You may send the process monitor file and $VDS$.log to tfwst@microsoft.com

I appreciate your time and efforts. Thanks.

• Edited by David Shen Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Friday, October 09, 2009 8:23 AM
    Friday, September 04, 2009 4:35 AM
  • Hi,

I’d like to check how things are going. Did you have the chance to try the troubleshooting steps? If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Tuesday, September 08, 2009 1:55 AM
  • I have sent the files to address mentioned
    Tuesday, September 08, 2009 6:50 PM
  • i think i am seeing a pattern here
    the Win2k8 server has a hyper-v role. whenever the guest OS is running I cannot open the disk manager, nor Windows Server Backup
    it looks like Hyper-v may have a role
    m
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 8:24 AM
  • Hi biconix,

Based on the research, it seems the issue is more related to the VM on Hyper-V.

As you mentioned that whenever the guest OS is running, you cannot open the disk manager nor Windows server backup.

Personally, I guess there may be due to some VM settings of the OS, which relate to the disk level.

To troubleshoot it, can you please open the Hyper-V manager console to check VM settings?

Does any IDE controller or SCSI controller connect to a physical hard disk on the host machine? If yes, for test purpose, please remove the pass-through disk in VM, and then reboot the VM, and test on the host to see if the issue will be re-occurs.

For the information about pass-through disk:

Configuring Pass-through Disks in Hyper-V
    http://blogs.technet.com/askcore/archive/2008/10/24/configuring-pass-through-disks-in-hyper-v.aspx

Hope this can be helpful.

Wednesday, September 09, 2009 9:08 AM
  • there are three VHDs and a DVD (which is connected to an ISO image)
    one of the VHDs is being used as the backup drive
    Wednesday, September 09, 2009 2:06 PM
  • Hi biconix,

Thank you for your reply.

To isolate this issue, we have built a test environment to try reproducing this issue. However, we can connect to virtual disk service on a Windows Server 2008 R2 RTM with VM running on its Hyper-V.

As you mention, one of the VHDs is being used as the backup drive, can you tell us what has been backup in this VHD?

Can you please check where these VHDs reside? Do they reside on the local machine or remoter location? Meanwhile, for test purpose, please remove this VHD from the VM temporally and then check to see if you can open Disk management and connect to virtual disk service successfully.

As the problematic server is Windows Server 2008 R2 RC version (build 7100), to isolate the potential influence of it, please consider upgrade it Windows Server 2008 RTM.

You may register to download a trial software via the following link.

Download the Windows Server 2008 R2 Trial Software

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd459137.aspx

Thursday, September 10, 2009 3:25 AM
  • i am backing the enitire guest system (SBS2008) in the VHD. I removed the USB drive and am now using an IDE drive on the host as the backup drive. the backup VHD is on the IDE drive.
    All the drives reside on the local machine (there is only one machine)

I have upgraded the host OS to the RTM and there is no difference.

As far as the test, I stopped the guest and removed the Backup VHD. I had to reboot the host as well so that the disk manager would run.
    When the host booted I verified that the DM manager worked. it did.

I then started the Guest OS and tried the DM again. I still got the same error: Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 2:54 PM
  • Hi biconix,

Thanks for your update.

It seems the issue is more related to Hyper-v. To isolate the issue, please test to launch another VM on the problematic server, and then turn off the VM which holds the backup VHD file. You may check if the issue still continues, we can isolate if the issue is due to the configuration of that specific VM or all the VMs.

Meanwhile, can you please verify that the Integration service has been installed on the VM?

Friday, September 11, 2009 4:12 AM
  • i shut down the SBS2008 guest and rebooted teh host server
    i was able to access the DM
    i then started up an XP VM. while the VM was running I was able to access teh DM
    when I stopped the XP guest, I was no longer abe to access the VM

all the Integration Services are enabled

I don't think it is the backup vhd. it is not differetnt than any of the other VHDs. also the fact that it didn't work after the XP VM was stopped means that it is probably not related to to it
    Friday, September 11, 2009 12:53 PM
  • Hi biconix,

Can you please boot the host computer with clean boot and then perform the test?

Steps: Clean Boot 

1. Click Start->Run...->type msconfig and press Enter

2. Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable All third party Services.

3. Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items

4. Click OK and choose Restart

Steps: change the Virtual Disk service running mode

1. Open Service.msc

2. Click on Virtual Disk

3. On the General Tab, in the Startup type dropdown list, select Automatic

4. Click Start to start the virtual disk service.

5. Please also verify that Virtual Disk service is Lon on as Local System account.

Then test to see if you can launch disk management successfully.

Hope it helps.

Monday, September 14, 2009 6:10 AM
  • sorry for the delay in the reply.
    i am still experiencing the same problem.

Friday, October 09, 2009 12:02 PM
  • Looks like I'm having the same problem.
    Win2008R2 machine which is hyperV host and library machine (and DC).

Getting 'Unable to connect to VDS' ...
    And in the event log:
    Unexpected failure. Error code: 7A@0200001E

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 3:08 PM
  • I had Mcafee ASAP installed on the server. when i removed it, the problem went away. so it could be that there was some conflict. i am not sure if it was the virus canner or firewall that was causing the problem
    i hope this helps
    m

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Hi, I have the same problem with Virtual Disk service. I can't get access to local disks through My computer, but I can explore all disk through network or cmd. It's very important to solve this issue for me because backup software (ShadowProtect) and antivirus AVG unable to work correctly.
    During my tests I found that this problem appears unexpected, not exactly after reboot.

We have Dell T610 with 2 RAIDS (5 and 10). Server 2008 R2 6.1.7600 with Hyper-V role. Also attached USB HP RDX 320.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:43 AM
  • I resolved the problem by uninstalling Mcaffee Antivirus. Once i did that i was able to see all my disks in the disk manager
    • Marked as answer by biconix Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:58 AM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 4:58 AM