none
The provider failed while storing notifications from the driver. The Virtual Disk Service should be restarted. hr=80042505

Question

• The following is a new error I just discovered in our Event Viewer:

"The provider failed while storing notifications from the driver. The Virtual Disk Service should be restarted. hr=80042505"

Is this a "real" problem? (Two events within 30 secs of each other)

What is this reffering to?

Also I tried the intergrated "View Log Online Help" and the following are my results:

Events and Errors Message Center

Results for: Microsoft product: Windows Operating System; Version: 6.0.6000.16386; ID: 10; Event Source: VDS Dynamic Provider

No results were found for your query. Please see Search Help for suggestions.

I thought I saw a Channel 9 video discussing enchancements to close the gap between events in the Event Viewer and researching what they mean...

Regards, Mike DePouw
    Monday, September 22, 2008 2:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

If I don't misunderstand, you noticed the following event Log on the problematic Windows Server 2008 operation system.

Log Name: System

Source: VDS Dynamic Provider

Date: Date

Time: Time

Event ID: 10

Description: The provider failed while storing notifications from the driver. The Virtual Disk Service should be restarted. hr=80042505

Please note: This event is logged every time that we shut down and then restart the operating system.

Cause:

This problem occurs if the Virtual Disk service is started. The Virtual Disk service is a "demand start" service that runs only if something has called it to be run. Therefore, the start type of the Virtual Disk service in Services.msc is "MANUAL."

This issue occurs because the Virtual Disk service stops the Virtual Disk providers when it shuts down. When this occurs, the Virtual Disk service unregisters for driver notifications. Then, the service stops the notification processing thread. Because the process occurs in this order, the notification processing thread may call back in to the driver after the provider has unregistered for notifications with the driver. In this case, an event is logged.

Resolution:

To resolve this issue if you have an application, an accessory, or a service that experiences a failed Virtual Disk start, restart the Virtual Disk service.

Please follow the steps:

1.  Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click Cmd.exe, click Run as administrator , and then click Continue. 

2.  Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

Net Stop "Virtual Disk" 

3.  Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

Net Start "Virtual Disk" 

Please note: Even if the Virtual Disk service has been restarted once, the issue may still occur after you restart the operating system.

Event ID 10 may be logged on a computer that is running a clean installation of Windows Vista SP1 or Windows Server 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948275

Hope it helps.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike DePouw Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, September 29, 2008 2:06 AM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:06 AM
  • Hi Mike,

According to the description:

"When the service shuts down it stops the providers. When the dynamic provider unloads, it unregisters for driver notification, then stops the notification processing thread. Because of this order, it is possible that the notification processing thread could call back into the driver, after the provider has unregistered for notifications with the driver. In this case we log an event."

Sequence:

1.When VDS shuts down, it stops providers.

2.When provider unloads, it first unregisters driver notification and then stops the notification processing thread.

3.Because notification processing thread may still working when the driver notification has been unregistered, you may receive the event error when notification process thread needs to call back into a driver.

As a result, the notification processing thread is a thread from dynamic provider.

David Shen - MSFT
    Friday, September 26, 2008 3:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

If I don't misunderstand, you noticed the following event Log on the problematic Windows Server 2008 operation system.

Log Name: System

Source: VDS Dynamic Provider

Date: Date

Time: Time

Event ID: 10

Description: The provider failed while storing notifications from the driver. The Virtual Disk Service should be restarted. hr=80042505

Please note: This event is logged every time that we shut down and then restart the operating system.

Cause:

This problem occurs if the Virtual Disk service is started. The Virtual Disk service is a "demand start" service that runs only if something has called it to be run. Therefore, the start type of the Virtual Disk service in Services.msc is "MANUAL."

This issue occurs because the Virtual Disk service stops the Virtual Disk providers when it shuts down. When this occurs, the Virtual Disk service unregisters for driver notifications. Then, the service stops the notification processing thread. Because the process occurs in this order, the notification processing thread may call back in to the driver after the provider has unregistered for notifications with the driver. In this case, an event is logged.

Resolution:

To resolve this issue if you have an application, an accessory, or a service that experiences a failed Virtual Disk start, restart the Virtual Disk service.

Please follow the steps:

1.  Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click Cmd.exe, click Run as administrator , and then click Continue. 

2.  Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

Net Stop "Virtual Disk" 

3.  Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

Net Start "Virtual Disk" 

Please note: Even if the Virtual Disk service has been restarted once, the issue may still occur after you restart the operating system.

Event ID 10 may be logged on a computer that is running a clean installation of Windows Vista SP1 or Windows Server 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948275

Hope it helps.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Thursday, September 25, 2008 11:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike DePouw Thursday, September 25, 2008 2:20 PM
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:06 AM
  • Hi David,

Thanks for the info. 

So which notification processing thread called back into the provider?
    Regards, Mike DePouw
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:02 AM
  • Hi Mike,

According to the description:

"When the service shuts down it stops the providers. When the dynamic provider unloads, it unregisters for driver notification, then stops the notification processing thread. Because of this order, it is possible that the notification processing thread could call back into the driver, after the provider has unregistered for notifications with the driver. In this case we log an event."

Sequence:

1.When VDS shuts down, it stops providers.

2.When provider unloads, it first unregisters driver notification and then stops the notification processing thread.

3.Because notification processing thread may still working when the driver notification has been unregistered, you may receive the event error when notification process thread needs to call back into a driver.

As a result, the notification processing thread is a thread from dynamic provider.

David Shen - MSFT
    Friday, September 26, 2008 3:59 AM
  • I am having this problem while trying to access the Disk Management interface from an MMC:

Server -  running 2008 core
    Client  -  running 2008 Server STD
    Hardware - 2 promise raid cards SX4300

Firewalls ( both configured, as well as shut-off )

I am getting 'Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service' and a popup that says: 'RPC service unavailable'
    and then the Virtual Disk Service stops

I have tried to restart it on the Core install ( net start "virtual disk" ) and through the MMC on a client mahine - not sure why it's not working , but I am also getting the error ID 10 from Virtual Disk Service.

Please help ?!?!?

MB

EDIT !! - Nevermind ! I disabled the firewall on the 'client' again, and it seems to be working !! - thanks y'all !
    • Edited by martianablex Tuesday, April 21, 2009 5:10 PM fixed
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 2:48 PM
  • Hi Martianablex,
    I have the same problem, did you fix it?
    Thank you.
    Cristiano
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:46 AM
  • Hi Martianablex,
    I just fixed the problem enabling the Remore Volume Manager rules, Remote Service Management rules and Remote administration rules on the Windows 2008 Server client (in your description) firewall inbound rules.
    Probably you need enable only the Remore Volume Manager rules, please let me know if you will do something.
    Best Regards,
    Cristiano
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 10:56 AM