none
Error when running Group Policy Modeling

Question

• I am attempting to run the Group Policy Modeling wizard against a specific computer and user (or their respective OUs) in my domain. In the wizard, I specify this computer and user, and specify no other options. When the wizard completes, the following message appears in the "Summary" and "Settings" tabs:

An error occurred while generating report:
    The given key was not present in the dictionary.

I get this error whether I run the wizard on the domain controller itself (Server 2008 SP2) or on my Windows 7 client with the RSAT. It seems to be specific to certain OUs, but I haven't been able to narrow down if it's a specific GPO that is causing it yet. Any ideas what might be causing this?

Friday, May 27, 2011 7:24 PM

Answers

• To finally answer this question :-D

This happens when you add GPP Registry items through the registry wizard. Running this wizard creates a registry item that only has the registry key in it and no value. Delete this item and you're fine.

BTW: Obviously this is a bug, and we already reported it to PSS. But I doubt they will fix it for Win7 - there's almost no impact in the above workaround...

regards, Martin

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!

Monday, August 6, 2012 10:56 AM
  • Hi,

This error is due to a faulty regsitry item in the XML file associated with the Group Policy registry settings.

Checkout the below link on Microsoft KB article for more information,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2692409/en-us

Regards,
    Gopi
    JiJi Technologies

Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please run the following commands and check the result.

cd %windir%\system32

regsvr32 /n /I userenv.dll

cd wbem

mofcomp scersop.mof

gpupdate /force

gpresult

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, May 30, 2011 8:50 AM
  • Hi Arthur_Li,

Am I supposed to be running these commands on the client or the domain controller? Either way, when I ran regsvr32 /n /I userenv.dll, I got the following:

RegSvr32

The module "userenv.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllInstall was not found.

Make sure that "userenv.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

[OK]

I thought it might be because I'm running x64 so I tried it from %windir%\SysWOW64 and got the same result.

Anyway, I just discovered a couple relevant events in the Application log on the DC:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Group Policy Power Options
    Event ID: 8196
    Description:

The client-side extension caught the unhandled exception 'handle class' inside: 'Access violation (0xc0000005) occurred at 0xf712f22e; the memory at 0x000010b8 could not be read.' See trace file for more details.

Log Name: Application
    Source: Group Policy Power Options
    Date: 01/06/2011 10:41:30 AM
    Event ID: 8196
    Description:

The client-side extension caught the unhandled exception 'simulated execution of package to apply policy' inside: 'Access violation (0xc0000005) occurred at 0xeae4f22e; the memory at 0x000010b8 could not be read.' See trace file for more details.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to use Replace or Upgrade actions to create a new GPO and check the result.

For the similar issue, please refer to the following thread:

Power Management via Group Policy Preferences worked - now it doesn't seem to work on some machines

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-ZA/winserverGP/thread/ea87c444-d86a-4d49-93b9-9abd0343dc14

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:35 AM
  • The "Group Policy Power Options" error turned out to be a red herring. (There is probably an issue that needs to be looked into there, but I'll save that for another question.) I ran the GP modeling wizard against another GPO with no Group Policy Power Options settings and got the same "The given key was not present in the dictionary" error.
    Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Has there been a resolution to this issue? I am getting the same error message on both my workstation and the DC.

thanks

Friday, July 29, 2011 3:10 PM
  • I am able to run the command line gpresult and get the computer scope, when I run the GP modelling wizard I get the error message:

An error occurred while generating report:
    The given key was not present in the dictionary.

when running from either my workstation or the DC. My workstation is Win7 SP1 x64, the DC is Windows Server 2008 SP2 x86.

• Proposed as answer by LarryS56 Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:56 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by LarryS56 Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:56 PM
    Friday, July 29, 2011 4:40 PM
  • Arthur_Li or any one at Microsoft, can you respond to this thread? I ran the commands referenced above on both the client and the server and am still getting the same results on the client and the server. I REALLY need to be able to run group policy modelling to validate changes!!

I ran several different group policy modelling scenarios:

1 - my workstation pointed to any DC - result - failed

2 - my workstation pointed to site1DC - result - failed

3 - my site DC pointed to any DC - result - failed

4 - my site DC pointed to site2DC - result - it generated a GP "summary" page with error but failed to generate a "settings" or "query" page

I am thinking this is some sort of .Net associated error?

thanks

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any answer to this problem, I have the same issue in my environment.  I think it may have been introduced through an update in the last months, now I cant excute an RSOP with USER content on any DC or member server or workstation in the forest.

Regards,

JF Lemire

Monday, October 3, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Just update Silverlight on your DC
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:50 PM
  • I've just run into this issue as well. Seems to have appeared today. I don't understand and really need to use the modelling to check some win 7 rollout settings.

have windows 7 x64 and 2008R2 servers, running the group policy modelling tool from my windows 7 workstation. 

Friday, July 27, 2012 7:08 AM
  • To finally answer this question :-D

This happens when you add GPP Registry items through the registry wizard. Running this wizard creates a registry item that only has the registry key in it and no value. Delete this item and you're fine.

BTW: Obviously this is a bug, and we already reported it to PSS. But I doubt they will fix it for Win7 - there's almost no impact in the above workaround...

regards, Martin

Wenn meine Antwort hilfreich war, freue ich mich über eine Bewertung! If my answer was helpful, I'm glad about a rating!

Monday, August 6, 2012 10:56 AM
  • Can you please clarify what you mean by "through the registry wizard"?  Am unfamiliar with any other registry wizard than the tool regedit (which isn't a wizard).  But perhaps you are meaning something else involved with GPP configuration that I am familiar.  Since the tool (wizard) is needed to delete the blank key (and the correct location in the hive), knowing what it is exactly is critically important.

BTW - thanks for posting this information

Dale Unroe

Monday, August 6, 2012 11:31 AM
  • When creating registry items in Group Policy Preferences, you have 3
    choices:

- Registry Item
    - Collection Item
    - Registry Wizard.

The first one just creates a single registry item.
    The second creates a folder you can use to group registry items.
    And the last lets you browse the real registry and create an item
    according to your selection. This last one is the culprit.

regards, Martin

Monday, August 6, 2012 12:12 PM
  • Martin Binder's solution worked for me. I deleted the GP Preferences Registry Wizard's modifications and put them back in as Registry Items. After that, Group Policy Modeling worked just fine.

Thursday, July 24, 2014 1:00 AM
  • Hi,

This error is due to a faulty regsitry item in the XML file associated with the Group Policy registry settings.

Checkout the below link on Microsoft KB article for more information,
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2692409/en-us

Regards,
    Gopi
    JiJi Technologies

Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:52 AM