Windows 7 and Group Policy Printer deployment RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am in the process of changing over to GPP's as well as beginning the testing phase for a Windows 7 deployment which will happen in late summer/fall and cannot seem to get Printers Deployed through Group policy at all.

I have tried VB scripts, the old style Group Policy Printer deployment method, as well as the Preference Mode deployment method for users and computers. I get the following errors in the event log and in the new "group policy results" wizard. Print Server is Win 2003 R2 SP2 32 bit. These same policies run fine on Windows XP clients via any of the methods I mentioned.

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Group Policy Printers
    Date:          2/1/2010 1:04:07 PM
    Event ID:      4098
    Task Category: (2)
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      Test4-Win7.mydomain.local
    Description:
    The user '21C18_HP5550' preference item in the 'OPS-Preference Test {42BA27ED-4C38-4B08-818E-FDC1E8D97222}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070bcb The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded.' This error was suppressed.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Group Policy Printers" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="34305">4098</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>2</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-02-01T18:04:07.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1210</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>Test4-Win7.mydomain.local</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>user</Data>
        <Data>21C18_HP5550</Data>
        <Data>OPS-Preference Test {42BA27ED-4C38-4B08-818E-FDC1E8D97222}</Data>
        <Data>0x80070bcb The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded.</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Shared Printer (Name: \\FS1\21C18_HP5550)hide
    The following settings have applied to this object. Within this category, settings nearest the top of the report are the prevailing settings when resolving conflicts.
    21C18_HP5550hide
    Winning GPO OPS-Preference Test
    Result: Failure (Error Code: 0x80070bcb)
    Generalhide
    Action Replace
    Properties
    Share Path \\FS1\21C18_HP5550
    Set this printer as default printer False
    Local Port

Some more info: I can install the printers manually by going to \\%servername%\%printer% and right click/connect. This works without fail. At first after doing some research I thought this was a driver issue, but it appears not to be, as I have tried many different drivers.
    • Changed type Troy12n Friday, February 5, 2010 7:55 PM resolved
    Monday, February 1, 2010 6:19 PM

All replies

• Does the user you were logging in as have administrator access to the server... ? Looks like a driver issue... or does the Printer server have the correct driver loaded for the server?
    Alan Burchill http://www.grouppolicy.biz
    Monday, February 1, 2010 9:42 PM
  • The error code does indeed confirm that at least from the CSE's point of view the driver can't be downloaded. If you take the last four hexadecimal digits (the first four are just indicating the provider), convert that to decimal, then punch it into the following command, you can see as much:

Conversion: 0x0BCB = 3019
    Command: net helpmsg 3019
    Output: The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded.

I know that's not offering a massive insight into why it's happening, but I figured it still may be worth clarifying which track to pursue.

Cheers,
    Lain
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:08 AM
  • Does the user you were logging in as have administrator access to the server... ? Looks like a driver issue... or does the Printer server have the correct driver loaded for the server?
    Sorry, I had to leave early yesterday. Yes, the user account I am testing with at this point is a memeber of the domain administrators group, so is an admin on the print server as well as the PC. But really that should not matter should it?
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 2:37 PM
  • The error code does indeed confirm that at least from the CSE's point of view the driver can't be downloaded. If you take the last four hexadecimal digits (the first four are just indicating the provider), convert that to decimal, then punch it into the following command, you can see as much:

Conversion: 0x0BCB = 3019
    Command: net helpmsg 3019
    Output: The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded.

I know that's not offering a massive insight into why it's happening, but I figured it still may be worth clarifying which track to pursue.

Yes, that makes zero sense, as I can connect to the printer manually and install the printer/driver by going \\printserver, locating the printer and right click connecting. Which is the same process as what Group Policy is doing, correct? In doing my research before I posted, everything I found based on that error code indicated what you mentioned, that is why I tried just about every print driver under the sun, including the HP universal driver, but none of them work. I was thinking maybe I have to do some sort of registry tweak like I had to do to get my scripts to work (below example)

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLinkedConnections=1

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 2:48 PM
  • Troy,

Are you using the "Group Policy Loopback" policy on the computers mapping the shared printers? We had a similar issue until we implemented Loopback (set to merge). We have shared printer connections deployed to our windows 7 clients in group policy (user).
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 5:35 AM
  • No, I'm not using loopback, that should not be necessary with the preference mode policies.
    Thursday, February 4, 2010 3:51 PM
  • Hi Troy,

Did you follow the steps described in the articles below to deploy printer via GPP?

http://www.msserveradmin.com/the-one-reason-you-should-use-group-policy-preferences/

In addition, you may also enable the policy processing under the path [Computer Configuration | Policies | Administrative Templates | System | Group Policy | Printers preference extension policy procesing] for client computers.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
    Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 7:42 AM
  • Hi Troy,

Did you follow the steps described in the articles below to deploy printer via GPP?

http://www.msserveradmin.com/the-one-reason-you-should-use-group-policy-preferences/

In addition, you may also enable the policy processing under the path [Computer Configuration | Policies | Administrative Templates | System | Group Policy | Printers preference extension policy procesing] for client computers.

I had not read that blog before, but there was nothing in there that I did not already know. I am fully aware of what GP loopback mode does, and I do not need to do loopback to accomplish what I want. In fact as I said before, I have this set up and working flawlessly for my XP clients. I have not found any indication that I need to enable loopback for GPP printer deployment to function for Win7 clients. Another thing that is kind of silly, is you cannot set up preference mode printers which are shared printers, just local printers and IP printers, seems kind of silly they overlooked that.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Ok, just for shits and giggles, I tried this with deploying the printer via "computer" side GPP in the GPO and get similiar errors

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Group Policy Printers
    Date:          2/5/2010 1:43:53 PM
    Event ID:      4098
    Task Category: (2)
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      Test4-Win7.mydomain.local
    Description:
    The computer '172.27.121.33' preference item in the 'OPS-Preference Test {42BA27ED-4C38-4B08-818E-FDC1E8D97222}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070bcb The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded.' This error was suppressed.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Group Policy Printers" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="34305">4098</EventID>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>2</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-02-05T18:43:53.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1407</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>Test4-Win7.mydomain.local</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>computer</Data>
        <Data>172.27.121.33</Data>
        <Data>OPS-Preference Test {42BA27ED-4C38-4B08-818E-FDC1E8D97222}</Data>
        <Data>0x80070bcb The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded.</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>
    Friday, February 5, 2010 6:47 PM
  • Ok, so after about a week of off and on troubleshooting myself and posting here for info, I finally found my answer. If pushing out printers via group policy, in order for the drivers to load, you have to have the following setting enabled inside your GPO. Either (or both)

computer\policies\admin templates\printers\point and print restrictions DISABLED

user\policies\admin templates\control panel\printers\point and print restrictions DISABLED

I am not entirely sure if you need both halves disabled or not, but I went ahead and did it, it's not going to hurt anything.

Apparently there was also a policy for Vista in a different path, but since we never did Vista, this was unknown to me. XP ignores this setting, which explains why it worked on XP and not on Win 7.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Hi,

I've also just come across the same issue when testing Windows 7 in our environment.

It appears it is the computer setting that needs to be set even though all our printers are deployed per user.

Cheers,
    Bobby
    Friday, February 5, 2010 9:41 PM
  • I've also just come across the same issue when testing Windows 7 in our environment.

It appears it is the computer setting that needs to be set even though all our printers are deployed per user.

It's amazing the lack of information out there regarding this stuff. It just goes to show you how few people in enterprises are actually USING Windows 7 and Vista.  I am also amazed when I read webforums and people post about hundreds of users down because they did something stupid. DOES NO ONE TEST ANYTHING???

I am struggling now with my next problem. Volume activation 2.0. What wonderful wisdom Microsoft has a complete scam going where you HAVE TO buy OEM licenses when you buy PC's, and then if you want to use a KMS server, you have to re-buy your licenses through the volume license program if you dont have an EA. What a joke...
    Monday, February 8, 2010 8:43 PM
  • I have been looking for the solution to this.  Anyway, I am deploying mine based on user login.  I don't find the setting that you reference above under the computer setting.  I changed the one under the user setting, but that didn't solve my issue.  I am running Windows Server 2003 R2 32bit.

Can you give me a better description where that setting is?  or any other ideas?

I didn't have a "policies" section.

Friday, February 12, 2010 7:02 PM
  • This fixed it for me... i was haveing the same error pushing out GPP printers to users and setting just the

user\policies\admin templates\control panel\printers\point and print restrictions DISABLED

fixed the problem.

Saturday, April 3, 2010 5:03 PM
  • I know I'm a little late to the party, but I have this exact error. I've done everything that you said and still no go. My situation is a little bit different as I've had this working before and now nothing.

My current situation is a Server 2003 R2 x86 print server with a 2008 R2 x64 domain controller at the 2008 R2 Schema. All XP machines are getting the printers and the 7 machines are not.

We just recently put in all 2008 R2 DCs and replaced are old 2003 R2 DCs about a month ago and then raised it to the 2008 R2 Schema. Before that, I had absolutely no problem deploying printers to Win7 clients. I only had about 3 or 4 of them for testing purposes, but deploying printers to those machines was the easiest that I've ever done. Now that we have decided to roll out Win7 to everyone, I can't get the computers to get the printers. I would have never imagined that upgrading DC from 2003 to 2008 R2 and updating the Schema would cause this.

Any help you guys can give or just a punching bag with Microsoft's logo on it will help............

Friday, April 23, 2010 8:21 PM
  • I have the solution for you.  Windows 7 reads the Point and Print Restrictions policy from COMPUTER.

COMPUTER\policies\admin templates\printers\point and print restrictions

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Friday, April 23, 2010 11:09 PM
    Answerer
  • I had the same exact issue. It took me a while to find the answer and I think I did. Here is what I found:

1. To test it go to you local GPO (type gpedit.msc in the search box)

2. Go to Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Printers

3. Find a policy named "Extend Point and Print connections to search Windows Update" and Enable it

4. Then run gpupdate /force in the command prompt and see if all of your printers are installed on this computer via your GPP

5. If this works for you, then just Enable this policy at the GPO level so it is applied to everyone and it should work. It worked for us.

Good luck!!! :-)

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:50 PM
  • Sorry for the lateness in this, the forum didn't notify me when someone replied. I have tried all of the above and it is still not working for me. Alan, I've tried the COMPUTER\POLICIES\ADMIN TEMPLATES\PRINTERS\POINT AND PRINT RESTRICTIONS and it does not work for me. I still get the same 0x80070bcb error that I've got before.

Let me restate, I've had this working before with no issues on Windows 7, but it has not worked after the domain was upgraded to 2008 R2 DCs and then the domain level was put to 2008 R2. You think it would work better after that, but nope, still doesn't. My WinXP machines work great, I can deploy, change and remove printers all I want with no issues. Just not Windows 7.

Any other help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 1:25 PM
  • this is the error

C:\>winerror 0x0bcb
      3019 ERROR_PRINTER_DRIVER_DOWNLOAD_NEEDED <--> No NTSTATUS matched

If the WIndows 7 machine is 64bit AND there is not a 64bit driver installed on the 32bit print server that uses the same name as the 32bit print driver name, then I'd expect this.

Since it has worked or Windows 7 clients are 32bit, I have no idea.  Since this feature was added by the group policy team and not the print team, I'll see if someone there has any idea about this issue.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team; Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here: http://support.microsoft.com/search/Default.aspx?adv=1
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 5:40 PM
    Answerer
  • My exact error is "Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code 0x80070bcb. The specified printer device was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded. This error was suppressed."

Just like the rest of the people, if I went to the print server and right clicked and said connect I could install it after the UAC window would pop up. Now, are the drivers the latest driver out there....no. But I was able to deploy them on my computer running Win7 x86 about 2 months ago without any issues. My issues only started after promoting the domain to 2008 R2 level.

Today I've been testing it out with a 2008 R2 print server and so far it is working without any issues. Now, I don't see why I would need the latest server OS to get the printer deployment working again unless Microsoft just wanted some extra money, but it is working. I probably spent a week or more trying to get the 2003 R2 print server working to no prevail through GP.

I will keep testing the GP printer deployment with the new print server, but I really wish I found the reason it stopped working on the old one.

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 6:51 PM
  • The UAC window indicates the Point and Print Restrictions policy is not configured, or enabled to display the prompts that will stop Group Preferences Printer stuff from working.

Once you correct the policy configuration, I would expect the printer connections.  When using any driver that included in Server 2008 or 2008 R2, the drivers are signed packages and the client is not prompted for driver downloads.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 9:03 PM
    Answerer
  • I do have Point & Print Restrictions disabled completely and it still doesn't work.

Alan you bring up something I haven't though of "When using any driver that included in Server 2008 or 2008 R2, the drivers are signed packages and the client is not prompted for driver downloads."

Is it not working because I'm not using the drivers included in 2008 R2? I need to deploy copiers and those drivers are more than the standard drivers since they do so much more.

Also, say I do use the driver included in 2008 R2, where do I find the x86 driver? They must be the same driver otherwise you can't deploy the x86 driver. Are they kept in the OS somewhere?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:10 PM
  • You would need to push these from a Windows 7 machine with admin access to the print server.

If you are getting the prompt for driver downloads, you are disabling the wrong policy or the domain policy is not getting applied to the machines.

When using a print driver that is included in 2008 R2, Window 7 client machines that have the same driver set will install from the local driver store rather than the print server.

Vista will be stuck since the driver is not inbox. 

Add a printer that uses inbox  HP Color LaserJet 9500 PCL 6 as one of the GPP printers.  That should be installed on Vista and Windows 7 32bit client machines.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 7:01 PM
    Answerer
  • It is not "Point and Print restictions that you need to worry about. It is  "Extend Point a Print connection......" needs to be enabled and I can guarantee you it will work. When this policy is enabled it allows your computer to automatically/silently download the required print driver from Windows Updates  and install it on your computers with no problems.  Just read my reply earlier..... I have suggested it to one of my friends that is IT in another company and it had worked for them too...
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 9:09 PM
  • Am 29.05.2010 23:09, schrieb tina_fofa:
    > It is *"Extend Point a Print connection......"* needs to be *enabled*

There is no need to extend the search to Windows Update, if you use
    a functional driver. Usally the problem is, the driver is not signed.

Bigger problem in that:
    Possibly, the client will find and use a driver that is no tested in
    my environment, because all other uses the vendor drivers and not the
    MS ones.

Mark
    --
    Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server - Group Policy

Homepage: www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch
    Discuss : www.freelists.org/list/gpupdate
    Saturday, May 29, 2010 9:16 PM
  • I'm late to the party... I know.

Back me up a step, please.  I do not see "Point and Print Restrictions" in COMPUTER\policies\admin templates\printers\point and print restrictions, I only see them in user\policies\admin templates\control panel\printers\point and print restrictions.

I, too, have the issue where Windows 7 users are prompted to install the driver for printers.  I install printers through logonscript .vbs, but am willing to install via GPP if I can get it to work.

So, if someone can shed light on why I cannot see the Computer Configuration settings, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks.

Thursday, June 17, 2010 6:12 PM
  • I have found the source of my problem:

The templates loaded in the central store were out of date.  Having updated them, I can now see the Point and Print settings for Windows 7.

Case closed!

Friday, June 18, 2010 4:07 PM
  • I have exactly this problem.

I have a Windows Server 2008 (not R2) and want to deploy Printers though Group Policy (from the Server) to Windows 7 Machines. {Deployment is currently working for Windows XP machines, but on the Windows 7 machines i get the following error "The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded"}. I believe this error can be fixed by changing Print and Print Restrictions in Computer Policy.

However, I do not see "Point and Print Restrictions" in COMPUTER\policies\admin templates\printers, I only see them in USER\policies\admin templates\control panel\printers\point and print restrictions.

How EXCALTY do i update the templates in the Central Store on the 2008 Server so that COMPUTER\policies\admin templates\printers\point and print restrictions appear sin the Group Policy UI ?

Many many thanks

Monday, September 6, 2010 4:36 AM
  •  

How EXCALTY do i update the templates in the Central Store on the 2008 Server so that COMPUTER\policies\admin templates\printers\point and print restrictions appear sin the Group Policy UI ?

Many many thanks

Put in your Central Store the files from "C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions" of a Windows 7 computer.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 1:13 PM
  • Has there not been any resolve to this yet?  I have attempted all listed above.  I am able to get two HP printers to deploy with GPO in user preferences mode, but with my Ricoh MP C2500 I get the error about "Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070bcb The specified printer driver was not found on the system and needs to be downloaded.' This error was suppressed."

I have done all the above about updating central store to WIN 7 admx, disabled and enabled those listed changes above in previous reply's.  I have also deleted the GPO, deleted the printers, deleted the drivers, reinstalled drivers, updated drivers, reinstalled printer, search for printer by UNC instead of browsing. 

What is strange is that it works for two of my printers as I stated but fails on the Ricoh.  Both SBS 2008 and the WIN 7 Client are 64 bit. 

This is very frustrating and that could have saved a lot of time just going around and adding the printers manually from each desktop.

-Travis

Travis
    Monday, October 4, 2010 10:45 PM
  • Yes.

When the print driver is package aware on Server 2008 and greater, the print driver will install on the client without any user prompts.  If the print server is 2003 and package aware drivers will be installed using legacy install and will no longer contain the digital signature. 

Is the print server 64bit?  Is there a 64bit print driver installed using the same name as the 32bit driver if the server is 32bit? 

Since you stated you already configured the Computer / Admin Templates / Printers / Point and Print ..., it sounds like the 64bit print driver is not installed on the print server.  If it is not the same name, it is not the same print driver, Ricoh PCL does NOT equal Ricoh PS.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:02 AM
    Answerer
  • Alan,

Thanks for follow up.  The print server is a 64 bit Small Business Server. 

I did some more testing and found it strange that if I used the Deploy with Group Policy option from Print Management I could then select the GPO created for the original printer deployment and it would then deploy it under User\Policy configuration.  Why would it deploy via that Group Policy setting in Printer Managment and not the Preferences method?

Travis
    Tuesday, October 5, 2010 7:08 PM
  • I know GPP will not download the print driver when the Point and Print Restrictions policy are in the Not Configured state.  Deployed Printer client will download the driver since it is aware of spooler policies.  So most likely this Policy is not properly configured.

The Deployed Printer component is a spooler team feature.  The Group Policy Preferences is a group policy team feature.  The client component is different and I do not know how GPP works.  Why both features?  Microsoft purchased the GPP stuff for inclusion in Server 2008 (I'm sure it was more complex than that), and the spooler team had already released printer specific deployment in 2003 R2 as well as Vista.  I'm sure the group that determines product features will figure out the duplication of features some day and make a call on this.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 11:33 PM
    Answerer
  • Try to deploy your printers directly via the printserver - server manager - select printserver - printers

right click on the printer -- select "Deploy with Group Policy"

- click on browse --> find the desired policy

- select if you want to deploy the printer "per computer" or "per user"  and click "add"

after that - gpupdate on the client - and voilà the printers are listed....

• Edited by toepch Sunday, October 24, 2010 10:40 AM type
    Sunday, October 24, 2010 5:17 AM
  • pd_toc, that did it for me.  I ran through everything above and then some.  Your suggestion did the trick!  Thanks!
    Jeff
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Ok, so after about a week of off and on troubleshooting myself and posting here for info, I finally found my answer. If pushing out printers via group policy, in order for the drivers to load, you have to have the following setting enabled inside your GPO. Either (or both)

computer\policies\admin templates\printers\point and print restrictions DISABLED

I am not entirely sure if you need both halves disabled or not, but I went ahead and did it, it's not going to hurt anything.

Apparently there was also a policy for Vista in a different path, but since we never did Vista, this was unknown to me. XP ignores this setting, which explains why it worked on XP and not on Win 7.

HI Troy

in which container?GPO you apply these settings?Domain Controller or Printserver?

thanks

Monday, February 28, 2011 6:56 AM
  • I've done some testing on this with 2003 R2 (schema level 2003 R2) and Windows 7 64-bit.  I've finally come up with repeatable results and some odd ones.

On the 2003 server, I created three printers, all using the HP universal print driver (printer one, printer two, printer three).  From the W7 box, I added the x64 driver to the 2003 print server. 

Next, using RSAT on the W7, I created a group policy and used user preferences to deploy the shared printers.  I shared two of the printers this way, using item level targeting to send the printer to two different users - one printer each.  I didn't add the third printer this way.  The GP is tied to the User OU.  I only created the shared printer, I didn't touch any other GP settings.  At this point, the printers still don't deploy successfully. 

In testing I found that deploying the printers to the GP using Print Management would work, but that just puts an entry in the User\policies section of the GP.  That didn't give the granular control you get with user preferences.  So based on that and much trial and error, I found that if I had deployed the third printer using Print Management and then immediately removed it using Print Management, all of the user preference printers would deploy from that point forward, including any new ones. 

I don't know what's happening there, but once a printer has been deployed using Print Management, you can deploy all you want using user preferences.  To clarify, I only deployed printer three using the Print Management and then immediately un-deployed it.  Printer three was never deployed using user preferences.  In essence, I needed to deploy a dummy printer using Print management and then all of the user preference printers worked.

I can't explain why this works, but I was able to reproduce the results several times.  I used VMs so I could rollback and start fresh for each scenario.  I can provide more details if anyone cares.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Mike,

Have you used a fresh install of the OS or an image ?

" Never panic before reboot ! "
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:37 PM
  • The 2003 and W7 were fresh installs when I started.  I took snapshots of the base installs and then started testing.  I reverted to the base snapshots after each test scenario.
    Wednesday, May 25, 2011 3:40 PM
  • That's easy, Group Policy Preferences never creates the connection because the prompt for driver downloads is supressed as indicated in the event log error in GPP.  Using Deployed Printers installs the driver from the server when the connection is created.  Once you have the driver GPP can create the connection.

Configure your Computer Point and Print restrictions as stated previously.  I do not recommend disabling the policy.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 4:59 PM
    Answerer
  • It does make sense that the driver gets deployed by using the user policy instead of prefs.  Disabling the Point and Print restrictions under the User and Computer policies of the GP works. 

To revise my post above (which still provides a working solution, but adds an odd step) with new information:

1.  Create a Group Policy applied to the User's OU.

2.  Create a shared printer in User\Preferences\Control Panel\Printers.

3.  Disable Point and Print restrictions in User\Policies\Administrative Tools\Control Panel\Printers.

4.  Create a Group Policy applied to the Computer's OU (could also use the previous one and apply it to the Computer's OU too).

5.  Disable Point and Print restrictions in Computer\Policies\Administrative templates\Printers

I tried various combination of this and this turned out to be the only working combination.  Note that I never deployed the printer using Print Management.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 8:08 PM
  • Windows 7 will never honor the user settings, this is only for XP and Vista.   

3.  Disable Point and Print restrictions in User\Policies\Administrative Tools\Control Panel\Printers.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:46 PM
    Answerer
  • You are correct.  Strike #3 from above.  It isn't needed.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:10 PM
  • I just tried using this process: http://theintegrity.co.uk/2010/07/how-to-deploy-printers-with-group-policy-windows-server-2008-7-vista-xp/ and it worked fine! It's one more approach to the same old problem...
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:04 AM
  • Here is a solution for Windows 7 64bit  (32bit works fine with the information persented here). 

I found that I had to add authenticated users -> print permissions on the printer share (2003 R2) in order for GP preferences to successfully deploy a printer to a 64bit machine.  If I use any other group, even Everyone, it does not work. 

I also have point and print restrictions disabled and 64bit drivers installed on the 32bit 2003 print server.

They even work as a basic users on a client computer.

However this breaks your ability to control who can print to a specific printer using AD groups.  I might burn a Microsoft tech call over this to see if I can get MS to offer a fix for it.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 11:48 PM
  • "Extend Point and Print connnection.." was the required GPO change in our environment.

The interesting thing I should point out, is the 3 printers I deployed via GPP do not have drivers available via Windows Update. These drivers both 32-bit and 64-bit are downloaded from vendor site and installed on our printserver.  Yet this GPO change was required to install printers via GPP.

Friday, May 4, 2012 3:28 PM
  • I've been struggling with this problem and finally got it resolved. This is what I did.

1. Created printer in GP: Computer Configuration\Preferences\Control Panel Settings\Printers

2. Disabled following GP: Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Printers\Point and Print Restrictions 

After applying above steps, some printers were automatically applied when users log in. Some printer would not. I checked the Event Logs. In the Application logs I notices warning messages for those printers which did not apply via GP. Error message stated: The computer 'IP address' preference item in the 'GPO Item {xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070706 The print processor is unknown.' This error was suppressed.

3. I went on to the Printer Server and changed Print Processor to winprint for printers which did not apply via GP. Rebooted PC's, and all worked.

Hope this helps someone.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 10:22 PM
  • I too had this problem, and the Computer Config/....Point and Print Restrictions=disabled worked. 

Printer server is 2008r2 64bit, DC is 2008r2 64bit. Test machine is Win7 Pro 64bit.

I had created a single GPO to handle deployment to any Windows 7 machine, disabling the Computer section, and using item level targeting to filter which printer is deployed to each User via AD security group membership. I also applied a WMI filter: "Windows 7 Workstation" to the GPO, then linked it to the domain root and put my Test User account ONLY in the security Filtering box. This did not work.

Leaving the GPP settings the way I created them, I then used the "deploy via group policy" thing on the print server, pointing each printer (12 of them) at the one GPO. This pushed ALL the printers to my test machine, despite the test User account only being in a couple of the AD security groups made for each printer.

So I deleted the "deploy via group policy" stuff from the GPO, enabled the Computer Configuration and added the P&PR=Disabled setting, and it's working perfectly now.

Why does it have to be so hard? When looking at the definition of the P&PR setting, it doesn't even mention Win7 or server 2008. It seems to be specifically for XP, Vista, and 2003.

I will feel better about this solution after we set up a new printer and deploy it. This way there won't be a chance that the "deploy via group policy" stage (establishing a connection and installing drivers) secretly allows the P&PR part to work.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 5:22 PM
  • I am running server 2008 and windows 7.  Through Print management I have deployed 8 network printers (gpo per user).  This same gpo worked sucessfully with the computers running xp.  When a user logs onto our Dell 745 computers, all printers are deployed.  When the same user logs into our hp 4300 workstations it is sporadic.  Interestingly, all 4300 computers were cloned from the same machine.  I isolated it even further, those 4300 workstations that have 2 1 gb ram sticks are not affected but those that have 4 512 ram sticks seem to cause a problem.  Any ideas, I do not think it is the ram that is causing the problem (though it seems that way) but perhaps a slower login with the 512 ram sticks causes this group policy to be not completely installed.  Any ideas out there?  It has taken forever to isolate this problem but this seems to be the issue.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:44 PM