none
Home Drive Intemittent map issue RRS feed

• Question

• Some of our users are having issues where the home drive disappear in the morning.

We have got the folder redirection enabled and the home drive is setup in the active directory.

We had an old server 2008 R2 and migrated the home drive to Server 2019.

I have checked the group policy and there is not conflict. Has anyone come across this issue?

Thanks,

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 1:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In order to narrow down the issue, would you please help collect the information below.

This issue happened after the server migration , right?(if i misunderstand , please let me know)

When did this issue happened, did you check the gpresult on the client?  gpresult /h c:\gpreport.html.

Any shared permissions problem on the new server?

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 17, 2019 3:43 AM
  • Hi Fan,

The issue happened after the migration. GP result ok as the home drive is not through Group Policy but Active dir. The shared permissions seem ok as well.

Thursday, October 17, 2019 9:33 AM
  • Hi,

Would you mind share some screenshots about the permission setting on both Server 2019 and server 2008R2?

In addition, have you tried change the drive letter to see if home drive could be mapped?

Best Regards.

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 18, 2019 8:44 AM
  • Hi,

Welcome to share your current situation.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 10:16 AM
  • Hi William, The permissions are same as the old server and it is happening to only two users. I was thinking why is it only happening to different team users? I haves run gpupdate/force and no joy.
    Monday, October 21, 2019 10:22 AM
  • Hi,

For your current situation , i would recommend you check the following points:

1. Check If there are any changes for the home folder settings from the ADUC

2. Check if can access the file server manually :\\fileserver\sharedfolders

Best Regards,

Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 3:13 AM
  • Hi Fan, There are no changes in AUDC and I can manually map the drive that proves the user has got the permissions. It may be the pc boots up fast ?
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 5:53 AM
  • Hi,

To narrow down the problem , may consider to log the user to other computers ,and check the result.

Also , any related event related in the event viewer?

Best Regards,

Fan

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:12 AM
  • The problem is intermittent . When the user loses the home drive then he restarts the laptop and the drive appears.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2019 8:12 AM
  • Hi,

From what you described , it happened only for specific client, it is not the configuration problem. 

Also , check the the event viewer to see if there are any related events;Change  other users logon to the same computer, if the same things happen again .

I would also suggest you ask for advice from the windows system forum to see any other possible reasons.

Best Regards,

Fan

Thursday, October 24, 2019 2:26 AM
  • It happened again and restarted the user computer and got the home drive back. The event shows:

Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Music" to "%HOMESHARE%\Users\username\My Music".

Redirection options=0x9021.

The following error occurred: "".

Error details: "The specified path is invalid.

Failed to apply policy and redirect folder "Music" to "%HOMESHARE%\Users\username\My Pictures".

Redirection options=0x9021.

The following error occurred: "".

Error details: "The specified path is invalid.

Thursday, October 24, 2019 8:17 AM
  • Hi,

I would recommend you check the following points:

1. Are all the users failed to apply the  folder redirection policy? or only the 2 users?

2. check the result of : gpresult /h c:\gpreport.html 

Best Regards,

Fan

Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:09 AM
  • There are only 2 users and gp policy result shows apply.
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

Would you please check if the folder redirection path of the 2 users are the same with others?

If possible , would please show the screenshot of the result for gpresult /h c:\gpreport.html .(only the details of the folder redirection part)

Tip: If private information is involved in the screenshot, it is recommended to blur sensitive information.

Best Regards,

Fan

Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:30 AM
  • The GP looks ok. Odd thing I noticed that it authenticates on a DC in a different building rather than its local own local dc.
    • Edited by moses004 Friday, October 25, 2019 10:08 AM
    Friday, October 25, 2019 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

Base on your situation , i would recommend you check if it authenticates to different DCs before and after the restart.

We can check that by the command line on the client:

nltest /dsgetdc:domainname

Also , check if the replication in your domain is working properly.

Best Regards,

Fan

Monday, October 28, 2019 2:19 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Fan

Thursday, October 31, 2019 8:40 AM
  • Hi Fan,

The replication is working fine. I got an the result on nltest /dsgetdc:domainname.

Sorry spelling mistake previously. The result shows the Domain name and the IP Address

DC: \\test.domain.com
          Address: \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
         Dom Guid: fcb5a4d7-4dc3-4b03-b34c-0aafb25fb110
         Dom Name: domain.com
      Forest Name: domain.com
    Dc Site Name: Default
    Our Site Name: Default
            Flags: GC DS LDAP KDC TIMESERV WRITABLE DNS_DC DNS_DOMAIN DNS_FOREST CLOSE_SITE FULL_SECRET WS DS_8 DS_9 DS_10
    The command completed successfully

• Edited by moses004 Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:42 AM
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 9:36 AM
  • What I don't understand that all the users are authenticating to a remote dc. Even though that dc name comes after the primary dc if you chose alphabetical order.
    Thursday, October 31, 2019 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

For your situation, i would recommend you make sure that when the the home drive is disappearing and existing, is it authenticating the same DC?  When you find the users are authenticating to a remote DC, the the home drive is good or not?

Then, i would recommend you check that , did all the DCs working well in the local site?

Then , did the sites, subnets configured correctly for the clients ,and DCs (include the remote DC)

Best Regards,

Fan

Friday, November 1, 2019 1:32 AM
  • Hi Fan,

I noticed something when I was trying to access the server using UNC path it came up with a network error

Windows cannot find \\server\shared

Please check the spelling of the name. etc.. it gives me two option either diagnose or cancel.

I click cancel on the error and run the UNC path again and it let me access the folder. Do you think it is related to this issue. The DNS resolution seems ok.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 12:23 PM
  • Hi,

It may related to the issue. Suggest you diagnose it.

Also, you can check the questions mentioned above from the last post:

For your situation, i would recommend you make sure that when the the home drive is disappearing and existing, is it authenticating the same DC?  When you find the users are authenticating to a remote DC, the the home drive is good or not?

Then, i would recommend you check that , did all the DCs working well in the local site?

Then , did the sites, subnets configured correctly for the clients ,and DCs (include the remote DC)

Best Regards,

Fan

Friday, November 15, 2019 1:34 AM