none
No Client Access Licenses Error on Mac RRS feed

• Question

• Have been able to connect to remote desktop without any issue until recently the following error message pops up :

//

There are no Client Access Licenses available for the target remote computer (code LicenseNoLicense(258))

//

I am using a Mac. Any solution for this?

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 8:18 AM

Answers

• I was having the same problem as OP. Version 8.0.38 (Build 27253). The directory listed above does not exist on my system.

Searching the filesystem finds:
    ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.rdc.mac/Data/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft\ Remote\ Desktop/

Deleting all contents of this directory excluding 'logs', as suggested above, resolved the issue.

It also did not delete any of my pre-configured connections which is a bonus.
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to delete the following registry key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSLicensing

Remember to take a backup before modifying the registry.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 15, 2016 9:20 AM
  • I have the same problem, but on the Mac there isn't The registry key, may be.

Thursday, December 15, 2016 1:18 PM
  • This instruction would be helpful if the above user was using a Windows PC, but they stated they are using a Mac to connect. 

I also am seeing the same issue with a Mac trying to connect to a Windows Server.

• Edited by Ezra Ward Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:52 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:51 PM
  • HI erzaward!

Please contact your administrator to verify the number of CALs for your organization.

Thank you.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:55 PM
  • I am the administrator. We have sufficient licensing. I often see this issue on my Windows machines that connect to the server. I use the above method of editing the registry to allow them to connect. 

In this case, I do not know where the license is stored to be able to delete it, as I'm troubleshooting on a Mac at this moment.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 7:59 PM
  • same problem here

//

There are no Client Access Licenses available for the target remote computer (code LicenseNoLicense(258)) //

iMac with Mac OS x Sierra ( RDP to 2012R2 ). 

Microsoft, a solution is urgently necessary

Thursday, December 29, 2016 5:05 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

I will try to report and confirm this behavior with the product team.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 2:48 AM
  • Hi

Anyone found a solution to this problem?
    I've got a user who's having trouble accessing Remote Desktop since last week with this CAL available error.

Monday, January 16, 2017 7:38 AM
  • I confirm that new Version 8.0.37 (Build 27246) of MICROSOFT REMOTE DESKTOP FOR MAC OS X works fine.
    Try to update.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:59 AM
  • this is not working, even 8.0.38 there is no way to make it work

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:05 PM
  • Can you try the following?

Go to “/User/<username>/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Remote Desktop" and delete the folders except "logs".

Let us know if this resolves your issue.

• Proposed as answer by Fisslefink Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:31 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Fisslefink Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:32 AM
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 8:55 PM
  • I was having the same problem as OP. Version 8.0.38 (Build 27253). The directory listed above does not exist on my system.

Searching the filesystem finds:
    ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.rdc.mac/Data/Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft\ Remote\ Desktop/

Deleting all contents of this directory excluding 'logs', as suggested above, resolved the issue.

It also did not delete any of my pre-configured connections which is a bonus.
    Thursday, April 13, 2017 9:42 AM
  • @Captain Sausage Face: THANKS, deleting that folder worked for me on OS X Sierra 10.12.4 and Microsoft Remote Desktop Version 8.0.38 (Build 27253). It also preserved my existing connection profile.
    • Edited by Fisslefink Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:35 AM
    Tuesday, May 16, 2017 5:29 AM
  • Thank you! It also worked for me on macOS High Sierra 10.13. A quick tip if are not able to find the Library folder mentioned above is the following: newest Mac OSs do not show hidden files (such as the Library folder). A quick shortcut to start viewing these files in the Finder is CMD-SHIFT-. (dot). Then you will be able to see the Library folder and all its contents.

• Proposed as answer by emman_amistoso Monday, October 1, 2018 11:44 PM
    Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:21 PM
  • ~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.rdc.mac/Data/Library/Application Support/Microsoft Remote Desktop/
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:09 PM