none
Web Application Proxy 2019 - SharePoint 2016 and Office Online Server sites won't load RRS feed

• Question

• We've just added servers running Windows Server 2019 to our Web Application Proxy farm. 

Both our SharePoint 2016 sites, and Office Online Sever (OOS) published with pass through authentication will not load correctly through WAP 2019, but work fine through WAP 2016.  The sites just sit there trying to load and the developer tools in browser report all GET requests are pending and they never finish.

This issue only affects sites published with pass through authentication.  If ADFS pre-authentication is used the sites work correctly.

We've found some slightly rubbish workarounds:

• If you disable the blob cache on SharePoint 2016 for everything but images (JPG, PNG etc) the site will load correctly
    • Using IIS rewrite to change the HTTP_USER_AGENT header to a mobile user agent the sites will load, although showing the mobile version of the site, which is rubbish but better than nothing. 

We aren't seeing any issues with other sites published with pass through authentication, just SharePoint and OOS.

I've opened a case with MS.

• Edited by DJL Tuesday, April 16, 2019 9:32 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2019 9:31 PM

Answers

• Hi all,

Microsoft have come back with a workaround for the problem.  Setting the following reg key 'fixes' the issue:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\WinHttp\EnableDefaultHttp2 Value: 0

• Proposed as answer by Waterschap de Dommel Monday, July 15, 2019 9:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by DJL Monday, July 15, 2019 11:31 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 8:44 AM

All replies

• We're seeing the exact same type of behavior with a WAP 2019 in front of RDWeb that is preventing icons from loading and the rdp files can't download when configured in passthrough mode. Worked fine behind WAP 2016 and works fine when bypassing WAP 2019. Will be keeping an eye on this and hoping for a fix.
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:13 PM
  • Thanks rgreen, that's useful to know and I've passed your comments to MS support, and the link to this thread.

We're also now seeing the issue with Skype for Business 2019 published through WAP2019, so the current list of known products affected is

• SharePoint 2016
    • Skype for Business 2016 and 2019
    • Office Online Server
    • Remote Desktop web client

Interestingly none of our in house developed ASP.NET C# web apps seem affected by the issue. 

• Edited by DJL Friday, April 19, 2019 9:02 AM
    Friday, April 19, 2019 9:02 AM
  • Hi all,

I can confirm same issue in our environment with Skype for Business Servers 2015 and 2019 and Office Online Server.

Does anyone have any answers?

Monday, April 29, 2019 4:27 PM
  • I believe we have the same issue with Workfolders that are being published by WAP2019. With WAP2016 it works without any issues.
    Sunday, May 12, 2019 6:23 PM
  • Just to say we're still working with Microsoft on this
    Monday, May 13, 2019 10:59 AM
  • We have seen the same issue with SharePoint 2016/2019. The current assessment is that all requests going to /_api/ are affected, likely due to how WAP 2019 handles the Transfer-Encoding: chunked in their corresponding responses.

Fiddler shows for these requests:

X-HTTPPROTOCOL-VIOLATION: [ProtocolViolation] No Connection: close, no Content-Length. No way to tell if the response is complete.

Monday, May 20, 2019 12:43 PM
  • I'm still working on this with Microsoft Support, but it would be helpful if others could open support cases so they can collect as much data as possible.

It'll most likely be a free incident as its a product issue.

Wednesday, June 5, 2019 8:31 AM
  • Thank you! I did, but they "archived" it soon after, pending resolution on your incident probably... Maybe it was a mistake to mention that other people have this issue as well :)
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 7:26 AM
  • Hi, Is there any update to this? It's giving us a headache and is a show-stopper, we cannot move to new WAP because of these issues :/

and like Cris said, they tend to archive the cases when they see it is already being handled in a nother case, like yours DJL

Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:14 PM
  • Microsoft are still working on the issue, but no solution yet.

I sent them another set of logs on Monday and had a follow up email Tuesday saying they are working on it.

Friday, June 28, 2019 2:29 PM
  • Just stumbled on this thread when searching the internet. Extremely happy I found it, thank you! Banging my head against the wall for over a week now over why Skype for business 2019(reverse proxy part) just would not work, while Lync 2013 works fine over the same WAP with exactly the same rules.

Because Skype FB 2019 web part looks so similar, and the WAP rules are really so simple we thought this could not be a WAP problem so we turned the whole Skype(IIS, but everything really) environment inside out. 

I will point Microsoft support to this thread.

Friday, June 28, 2019 2:43 PM
  • Hi all,

Microsoft have come back with a workaround for the problem.  Setting the following reg key 'fixes' the issue:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\WinHttp\EnableDefaultHttp2 Value: 0

• Proposed as answer by Waterschap de Dommel Monday, July 15, 2019 9:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by DJL Monday, July 15, 2019 11:31 AM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 8:44 AM
  • Did the registry change, restarted both WAP services to be sure. Seems to work fine now, Skype web App loads fast(just like on our WAP2012R2 that we had to install "again" because of the above issue). Did no thorough tests, but this seems to do the trick.

Thank you for letting us know DJL!

Monday, July 15, 2019 9:59 AM
  • I've just had a call with Microsoft.

The product team are aware of the issue and a hotfix will be produced, but they have no ETA for that at the moment.

In the mean time they have confirmed the registry key above is fine to use in production until the hotfix arrives.

Monday, July 15, 2019 11:33 AM
  • That is great news! Thanks for that. I will implement the workaround and inform how it works, but it will happen after my vacation, so stay tuned :D

Again, thanks for the update!

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 3:52 PM
  • Thanks for starting this thread and posting the workaround.

For me pre-auth or pass through would not work from WAP server 2019 to exchange 2016 CU13 server 2016

i was banging my head against the wall looking at firewall packet inspection etc

workaround has resolved 

• Edited by leithm Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:30 PM
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 6:30 PM
  • Am confirming the registry fix solved our issues as well.
    Sunday, August 4, 2019 7:24 AM