none
User Account Control for Exchange ActiveSync Policies Broker RRS feed

• Question

• I previously posted the thread linked below in the Window's forum and the Microsoft Support Engineers over there that could not answer it sent me to this forum.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/user-account-control-for-exchange-activesync/f6b3f0a2-9741-4c62-80c1-14d7063a164d?msgId=9a7299e7-aec8-4456-b7b3-58d7732c7f49

User Account Control for Exchange ActiveSync Policies Broker is popping up every time that I login.  I do not have any Exchange accounts  on my Windows 10 side (it's VM Ware).  I did install Office briefly, but have since removed any accounts.

It doesn't matter whether I approve or deny the UAC prompt.  It's there every time I start my Win 10 machine.

Any ideas on getting it to go away?

Thanks,

John

There is no option to "Reset Security Policies" as suggested and shown in the image in the original post's reply.

Secondarily, I was provided instructions to turn off UAC allowing me to just be unaware of programs making changes that trigger user authorization via UAC (with the caveat that it isn't recommended, though it was).

I work in a secure environment and am not going to shut off UAC because of a bug in ActiveSync.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on what I could do to get rid of this thorn?

Thanks,
    John

Friday, May 6, 2016 3:18 PM

All replies

• Any signs of any Office \ Exchange \ ActiveSync in Programs and Features left behind? If so remove them.

Try Autoruns and see if you can locate what is loading it, may help in tracking down the cause, or give the option to remove the entry.

Sunday, May 8, 2016 9:46 PM
  • There are signs of Office, which I have installed but not of Exchange or ActiveSync.

Upon further investigation, it seems tied to Visual Studio 2015.  It comes up also when I close and reopen an instance of Visual Studio.  Not for every instance but the first instance.  It has also come up on system startup.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 2:59 PM
  • Well beyond the Autoruns link to try to track down what is starting the prompt when you login, I guess removing Office and rebooting, then testing would be the way to go. If no prompt re-install Office and hope it stays away.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2016 9:38 PM
  • Hi John Fager,

Have you tried to remove the office product to have a troubleshoot?

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 13, 2016 1:42 AM
  • I'm experiencing the same annoying UAC prompt.  I have office 2016 and Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 installed.  
    Friday, May 13, 2016 12:19 PM
  • I will work on that.  I unmarked the items that you suggested as answers because they are not yet answers.  Answers actually pan out to solve the question.

Even if uninstalling Office and reinstalling is a way to get rid of the UAC prompt, which I doubt because I think that his is tied to Visual Studio, it is not an answer.

This should not be happening and it is a result of poor testing and programming that needs to be looked at by engineers working with those pieces of software.

It takes time to dedicate to constantly removing and reinstalling software every time there is a problem like this, which across all MS software, is frequent.

If it works, and when I get around to it, I'll reply and mark the solution as an answer with the caveat that is a workaround and not a proper solution.

Friday, May 13, 2016 3:36 PM
  • Hi John Fager (VDP Web),

Will reinstalling the office product be helpful?

Since the issue occurred when we boot into the machine, we could try to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot whether there is a third party service conflict.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 16, 2016 2:16 AM
  • This did not help. 

I have uninstalled Office and rebooted.  The issue persists.

I only have 2 startup items, one of which is VMWare Tools Core Service, which I don't dare to risk disabling.  The other is Sticky Notes.

I believe that the issue may be related to something in Visual Studio because it will sometimes popup not only on boot but also when I open Visual Studio.  Services running that it could be:

• Microsoft Online Services Executable
    • Windows Logon Application
    • Windows Start-Up Application
    • Windows Session Manager

I also get a strange error opening Local Security Policies:

dI'm fairly confident that none of the advice proposed as solutions are correct at this point, so any other advice would be appreciated.

Monday, May 16, 2016 3:56 PM
  • Hi John Fager ,

"I believe that the issue may be related to something in Visual Studio "
    Have you tried to uninstall Visual Studio to have a troubleshoot?

Have you referred to my link to perform a clean boot(disable all third party services not only startup items)? Are you using a Microsoft account, work account or local account or have you used an exchange account before?
    According to my research, Exchange ActiveSync Policy could be related to the exchange server. If you are using an exchange account to login, some exchange policies may have been applied to the machine.
    Here is a link for reference:
    Exchange ActiveSync Policy Engine Overview
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn282287%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

"I also get a strange error opening Local Security Policies:"
    Please update to the latest version 10586.318 to have a test. Here is a link for reference of troubleshooting this issue.
    "'Microsoft.Policies.Sensors.WindowsLocationProvider' is already defined" error when you edit a policy in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3077013

Best regards

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 2:00 AM
  • Apologies for the hard edge, but I'm starting to get a bit miffed at these "support" groups.  I've been passed over here after getting very bad advice on the previous forum. Frankly, that advice was dangerous and inappropriate.  This advice is not helpful and certainly does not reflect well on the brand.

I may have this wrong, but I thought that I recalled in the past that uninstalling Visual Studio was a highly risky process that may have severe consequences from removing shared components, causing other issues that can lead to a full OS reinstall to make things play nice again. 

Regardless it is a massive process just to install VS that is out of the question based on time alone.  I'd rather just deal with the annoyance.

As I said, only two items are turned on that can be disabled for a clean boot and I will not risk disabling VM Ware.  It is a virtual image.  The advice doesn't seem reasonable.  I doubt disabling VM Ware or Sticky Notes will help.  Please read my post properly.

Also, per my other post, there are no Exchange accounts or email/Outlook accounts at all.  I've totally uninstalled Office to no avail.

Pointing out the overview of Exchange Active Sync is not helpful to solving a programmatic conflict and does not have actionable information.  The same thing is true of the Local Security Policies.

Is there a way to perhaps escalate this or take some diagnostic information that is normal, clear and well defined?  Otherwise, I guess I'll just let it drop and chalk it up to something I have to just live with.  But it sure doesn't have anything worth proposing as an answer.

Again, I'm sorry for the hard edge, but this "process" of support leaves much to be desired and I really believe that Microsoft offers may great things.  It would do well to improve this side of the company.

Thanks,
    John

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 4:39 AM
  • Also have the same problem. VS 2015 installed. Running Windows 10 Pro. No Exchange anything. To the best of my knowledge, I have never connected to Exchange anything on this machine. And yet I am getting the UAC prompt for Exchange Policy Broker many times a day.

Totally fed up with Windows 10. Totally fed up with the lame postings to what seems to be the only support avenue for mere mortals without access to Enterprise support. I really believe Microsoft used to offer lots of great things. 

What is it? How do I disable it entirely?

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 8:21 PM
  • Hi John Fager (JFM),Robin E Davies ,

Since the issue is related to Visual Studio 2015, we could try to contact the support here.
    Find help with the Visual Studio
    https://www.visualstudio.com/support/support-overview-vs

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 6:42 AM
  • What does "we" mean?  I'm not totally sure that it is a Visual Studio issue and this is the second forum that I have been handed off to.  It's really not cool to just get a link yet again that might lead nowhere.

Are you going to address this with the Visual Studio Team?

Thanks,
    John

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 4:10 PM
  • Hi John Fager (JFM),

Both of you said that the issue could be related to Visual Studio, so I suggested to ask for help from the Visual Studio support. They are more familiar with this product and they may have more resources to help you.

Anyway, I have tried to install Visual Studio 2015 on my machine and I didn`t get a popup. I noticed that Visual Studio notified the users to sign in. Have you signed in the Visual Studio? Have you tried to run Visual Studio as administrator to have a troubleshoot?

Since you didn`t want to uninstall Visual Studio. It is very hard to troubleshoot whether the popup is related to Visual Studio. However, we could try to fix present installation(Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Right click Visual Studio then choose change, repair).

Best regards

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 19, 2016 7:04 AM
  • I've tried logging out and back in to no effect. 

At this point, I guess that I'll just put up with it until it's time to reinstall the whole OS and redo VS and everything else. 

It isn't that I don't want to uninstall and re-install VS.  It's that that isn't reasonable and I don't want to invest time in suggestions that are just throwing spaghetti against the wall to see if it sticks.  It isn't that big of a deal to just dismiss the alert several times per day.

Thanks,
    John

Monday, May 23, 2016 4:02 PM
  • Hello,

I'm having the same issue (UAC popup from "Exchange ActiveSync Policies Broker" every time after I log in).

The popup appears like 30-60 seconds after every login, and then at seemingly random intervals afterwards. (Can be quite annoying when it interrupts another task...)

I have Office 2010 installed, but NOT any Visual Studio.

In the past, I had an Exchange mailbox configured in Outlook 2010, but currently this is no longer the case since I don't use Outlook anymore.

I've also looked for help in the Microsoft Community Windows 10 forums and I was horrified! Apparently, many people are having this issue, and the only thing that the support people tell them is to DISABLE UAC entirely. 

These are some links for reference:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/how-do-i-get-rid-of-a-continual-pop-up-saying/428cb5e5-3e2d-4abc-925d-4aa4549d7860

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/user-account-control-for-exchange-activesync/f6b3f0a2-9741-4c62-80c1-14d7063a164d

http://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/forum/windows_10-start/exchange-active-sync-policies-broker/ef382a49-3431-42fc-9bc7-0fa8685d364c

(Apparently, in the last link, the description of deactivating UAC was removed.)

I agree with John Fager that this is a totally unacceptable practice. But enough of that.

Another thing that might help in finding the cause:

I'm getting the same notifications on my notebook, which also has Windows 10 installed and on which I use the same Microsoft account to log in. So maybe it has something to do with the Microsoft account login?

Is there an easy way to disable the Microsoft account and switch to a local login, without losing any user data?

Edit: Turns out, it is quite easy to switch from a Microsoft account to a local login, and since I've done that, the UAC popup seems to be gone. I'll keep this updated to see if it's the same on the second pc.

Edit2: Now I also changed my Windows account to a local account on the second pc, and the UAC prompt has since then no longer appeared.
    Thursday, June 2, 2016 7:11 AM
  • Not an answer.

Could you explain what "Microsoft contingent staff" means, please.

Sunday, June 12, 2016 5:47 AM
  • After dealing with exactly this too, I think I found something.  I am signing in with a Microsoft account.  I discovered 2 things.

1. When I checked the account settings in Settings->Accounts->Your Email and Accounts there was a verify link waiting to verify the Microsoft account.  It sent me an email with a code and I entered it in the box that appeared when I clicked the link. 
    2. In Settings->Accounts->Sync Your Settings, it was also needing an email verification for it to sync passwords.  This operation was identical to #1.

I have since no longer received this UAC prompt for Exchange ActiveSync Policies Broker.

Saturday, July 9, 2016 5:35 PM
  • I unmarked this as an answer.  It's helpful and one of the links is the thread on the other message board that I started before being told to come to this forum by the moderators there.

The Edit2 is correct in that by using a local account, the UAC goes away.  When using a Microsoft account it reappears.  As such, the issue is an unresolved bug.  I still cannot use a Microsoft account without the UAC issue.

I have no idea why Microsoft staff love marking things as answered when they clearly are not.

There should be a clear way for someone over there to track this issue down, acknowledge it as a bug and provide a solution to resolve the issue.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 2:45 PM
  • This exact problem started today: 
    Several times a day we get the pop up saying 'Exchange activesync policies broker'.
    It doesn't matter whether I approve or deny the UAC prompt.  It's there every time the computer is started and then repeats 5-7 times until it seems to stop (for the day).

Computer is a new Asus Core i7 with Windows 10 and Office 2016.
    We are not connected to any Exchange server or any other server, for that matter.

• When did the issue first occur?
    Answer: Today (February 8, 2017)

• Did you make any recent changes before the issue occur?
    Answer: Nothing has been installed. Nothing has been changed.

• Kindly send us a screenshot...
    Answer: Can´t screenshot, it occupies the entire screen and PrintScreen does not work.

• Other suggestions:
    After this situation started we changed the user account to local, but the problem persists.
    Turning off UAC is inadequate, in our belief. It is not the solution and is dangerous.

Hope Microsoft sends a patch o somebody finds a solution.
    Thank you.
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 10:09 PM

• This exact problem started today: 
    Several times a day we get the pop up saying 'Exchange activesync policies broker'.
    It doesn't matter whether I approve or deny the UAC prompt.  It's there every time the computer is started and then repeats 5-7 times until it seems to stop (for the day).

Computer is a new Asus Core i7 with Windows 10 and Office 2016.
    We are not connected to any Exchange server or any other server, for that matter.

• When did the issue first occur?
    Answer: Today (February 8, 2017)

• Did you make any recent changes before the issue occur?
    Answer: Nothing has been installed. Nothing has been changed.

• Kindly send us a screenshot...
    Answer: Can´t screenshot, it occupies the entire screen and PrintScreen does not work.

• Other suggestions:
    After this situation started we changed the user account to local, but the problem persists.
    Turning off UAC is inadequate, in our belief. It is not the solution and is dangerous.

Hope Microsoft sends a patch o somebody finds a solution.
    Thank you.
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 10:24 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with the "Exchange ActiveSync Policies Broker" UAC notification on a system with Office 2016 and VS2015 installed. I have UAC at the maximum level and am logging in with a Microsoft account. This is clearly a bug within Windows or at least Office/VS (so definitively a Microsoft product), and it's been a pretty long-standing bug as well. Is it really too much to ask for a real fix for this, which is not based on (sorry I have to say that) stupid workarounds like "use a local login" or "lower your UAC setting"?

I mean: Come on! Please tell your developers that somethings causing almost random post-login UAC notifications about "Exchange ActiveSync Policies Broker" changes on many customer systems, and I'm sure someone of them will know what might be causing it. They know their products, they've created them! Trying to get issues like that solved without involving the developers is almost ever fruitless (I'm working in a software QA department, btw.).

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” Sherlock Holmes

Friday, February 10, 2017 7:56 AM
  • Hello,

I have been having this problem for a few weeks.  I'm running Windows 10 and Office 365.  Recently, I received an email from Microsoft that said I needed to reconnect Outlook 2016 to Outlook.com due to internal changes by Microsoft.  I don't use my Outlook that much so I waited for a while then followed the instructions to reconnect, which was successful.  Almost immediately, I started receiving the Exchange activesync policies broker UAC popup.  When I clicked for more information, it showed certificate information that was outdated and expired.  I just clicked "no" and continued.  The popup does not appear on start up, rather it appears shortly after I access a document from Onedrive and reappears randomly thereafter.  It's driving me crazy.

I am not a tekkie, just a normal user who has a Dell laptop with Windows 10 and Office 365.  I was hopeful that Office 365 would be useful, but the updates and headaches from changes are a nightmare.  The new features are useless and the update problems actually degrade the features that I do use. 

Does anyone have a SIMPLE way to fix this UAC popup?  Releasing an upgrade that beats me over the head with a UAC popup with an outdated certificate date range is very bad form.  I'm sorry if I have not described this well.  I'm not a tekkie.  Help.  Thank you.

Saturday, February 11, 2017 9:10 AM
  • I also recently am having this problem, three times today I got this UAC pop up from this Exchange ActiveSync policies Broker. I also have VS but have not updated it. I have been disabling peering my workstation from Redmond use of my network though because 50% of the time my pc is just updating or sharing to other computers. Don't know if you also do that. I am suspecting there is a remote roll-out that is subtle.. Can anyone confirm if this is the case fort this issue?
    Friday, March 3, 2017 8:04 AM
  • I have a machine with this problem as well. Even if it does have something to do with having a Microsoft Account based user, it shouldn't pop up randomly asking for authority. As it is, I had no idea what it was doing so I always deny it the authority to do anything. I'm not giving some random executable administrator authority if I didn't initiate the action myself. This needs a fix from Microsoft.
    Saturday, March 4, 2017 5:20 AM
  • I am also experiencing the same problem with the same symptoms, that is, I get a UAC prompt several times a day for the Exchange Activesync Policies Broker. This started occurring a few days ago and is quite annoying. Please note that I do not have that neither Office or Visual Studio have ever been installed on this computer. Also, as far as I can recall, I have not recently installed any new software applications.

Computer is Acer v5-571p-6609 running Windows 10 Home edition. 

Sunday, March 5, 2017 9:46 PM
  • Good morning.  I just found and (apparently) fixed this same issue.  What I did was go to "manage your "account", selected my account, clicked on manage, change mailbox sync settings, and turned email sync off.  Only have tested it twice now by logging off and back on, but no more UAC prompts.

Good luck!

UPDATE...  No UAC prompts in 6 hours, and I was seeing several a day.

• Edited by GratefulDon Thursday, May 18, 2017 5:45 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Whooshka Saturday, November 11, 2017 1:10 AM
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 12:29 PM
  • Disabling the mailbox sync settings helped me too. The guy who did find that solution should get a Nobel prize.
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:36 PM