none
Windows 7 Backup and Restore image RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have 640GB hard drive which is divided up into 4 partitions. I have Win7 Backup and Restore image running every week to another external drive. What i would like to know is i if I use the backup image to restore my OS, will it remove all other partitions (4) and create just one large drive? Or does it know that it supposed to go where the OS (system) drive was originally installed on? The OS (system) partition is 250GB. My guess is it will only recognize the entire 640GB drive and not individual partitions.

Thanks for your time
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:19 AM

Answers

• Sorry for the delayed response. When you create your system image, you get an checkbox which u will have to check to include your data volumes. If you do not check that option, then only your critical volumes will be selected. If backup of only critical volume is take, only they will be restored while doing your recovery. If you have taken a complete backup, then all your volumes will be restores.

Thanks

Rena

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Monday, September 26, 2011 8:36 AM
  • Sorry for the delayed response. When you create your system image, you get an checkbox which u will have to check to include your data volumes. If you do not check that option, then only your critical volumes will be selected. If backup of only critical volume is take, only they will be restored while doing your recovery. If you have taken a complete backup, then all your volumes will be restores.

Thanks

Rena

yes i was able to check one volume for the system image. thanks 
    Monday, September 26, 2011 8:00 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The restore process will not repartition the hard disk. You need to make sure that the partitions of the destination computer are large enough to save the backed up data in the corresponded partitions of the resource computer.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:33 AM
  • Hi thanks for your reply however i don't think its what i was looking for.

let me try and clear it up a bit... I have an external 2TB HDD which holds my backup images. My Win7 Pro PC has a 640GB which I have divided up into four partitions one, of course, is the system drive which is 250GB. The other three are used for files and so forth. I have win7 Backup and Restore creating an image of my system drive every Monday. Now lets say my Win7 system gets corrupt and I want to restore the image onto that one partition, can this be done on only this partition? or will the restore only see the entire 640GB HDD and reformat it instead, losing ALL 4 other partitions.

Thanks again

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:08 PM
  • Does anyone have an answer for me?
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:06 PM
  • For leaving the data partition untouched, do a System State Restore. You get this option in the Restore UI. This will only restore your System State and leave the non-critical partition untouched. Hope this helps.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:39 PM
  • Thanks Renash but I just wanted to make sure the image restore didn't blow my  other partitions away. I have only selected the C (system) drive to create the image and wanted to make sure the other 3 partitions aren't touched in the restore process.
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:50 PM
  • If all you want is to restore your OS, You need not seven elect System Drive too. Just doing a System State Restore will solve the issue without affecting your other data partition. System State Restore recover the systems Active Directory, System volume (SYSVOL), COM+ class registration database, Windows registry and  Windows boot files.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:55 PM
  • Yes I understand what this does but again, i only wanted to know about the system image restore not the system state restore. I am doing weekly image backups and just wanted to know how this would work.

Thanks

Thursday, September 22, 2011 2:57 PM
  • Maybe I am a bit confused. Let me ask yopu a few more questions

1. You are using Win2K8 R2 or Win7?

2. What kind of backups have you been taking? Full System backup or Volume Backup?

3. What is it that you are trying to recover?

4. Has your partition layout changed?

Friday, September 23, 2011 6:21 AM
  • Sorry for the confusion...

1. You are using Win2K8 R2 or Win7?

I am using Win7

2. What kind of backups have you been taking? Full System backup or Volume Backup?

A full Image backup using Win7 Backup and Restore

3. What is it that you are trying to recover?

I am really not just trying to recover anything in particular just wanted to make sure if i needed to wanted to restore from an image back I would be able to without issues

4. Has your partition layout changed?

No. I have a 650GB HDD divided into four partitions, including C (system drive), which is what i have the image of. You can see my screen shot below.

I have asked this question in another thread under win7 and not window server. I think this was the confusing part. The thread was called "Windows 7 Backup and Restore Image to Partition"

Please let me know if this clears things up any.

Thanks again

Friday, September 23, 2011 9:25 AM

Thanks

Rena

Monday, September 26, 2011 8:36 AM

Thanks

Rena

yes i was able to check one volume for the system image. thanks 
    Monday, September 26, 2011 8:00 PM