Running a batch file from a Performance Alert

Question

• I have a performance alert set up to notify me of low disk space on any of my logical drives.  I also have a batch file the emails me.  I configured the alert to run the batch file when it is triggered, and I have the alert running as a specific local user I created for these types of purposes.  It all works perfectly if the user is a member of the Administrators group.  If I remove the user from that group and add it to any other group, it won't run the batch file.  Some groups allow the alert to be triggered and some don't, but none of them (except Administrators) allows the batch file to be run.  Am I doing something wrong or missing something?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    TW
    Thursday, April 02, 2009 5:28 PM

All replies

• Since no one has answered I figured I'd add to this. I have exactly the same thing set up on my Win2003 servers, using a simple batch file that sends email with blat.exe. The batch file takes command line arguments supplied by the performance alert, so I only have to have one simple batch file for all servers.

I can't see any way to replicate the same thing in 2008. It seems you can only launch tasks, rather than batch files or executables of your choosing. The closest I've been able to get is have have the low disk space Alert log to the Event log, then create a task attached to that event that sends an email. Problem is I don't see a way to have it grab any sort of variables from the Alert, so the emails would be pretty nondescript unless I create a bunch of separate alerts/filters. I can't find any better way, and it's definitely not preferred over 2003's method.

Help!

Thanks.
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 7:43 PM
  • I'm new to this forum.

Is this a Windows Server 2008 R2 issue?  If not, please post this in the more general forums.  You'll get a lot more exposure in a more appropriate forum here:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 11:24 PM