none
Storage spaces crash on Windows Server "8" Beta RRS feed

• Question

• I have the following problem with storage spaces - the system freez after one of the disks in storage pool is full.

To reproduce I created:

1. storage pool from two disks (76Gb + 232Gb),
    2. then simple (or parity) 3Tb virtual disk with thin provisioning (not allocate maximum space on create)
    3. than volume on whole disk. Tried NTFS as well as ReFS

Result in all cases the same after copping around 160 Gb (less in parity case) the copy dialog freeze (once I am waiting all night), on access to new disck explorer not responding, refresh in Server Manager\File and Storage Services\Storage Pools never ending.

On server restart it stops on "Please wait for the System Event Notification Service".

I check the disks (not quik format and chkdsk /B then) no errors on both.

Disks are connected to MB Intel D945GNT, SATA in BIOS in ACPI mode.

Best regards,
    Stanislav Spiridonov

Monday, March 5, 2012 7:11 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I just finished my test. I used a virtual machine in Hyper-v.

1. storage pool from 2x60GB disks.

2. simple 500GB virtual disk with thin provisioning. Mounted as a drive and share a folder in that drive.

3. Create a 15GB VHD file on a Windows 2008 R2 system, copy it repeatly to the shared folder.

The Windows Server 8 Beta system stopped responding when I copy the eighth 15GB file. I got the "no enough space" error on Windows 2008 R2 side.

It seems to be a problem if it will freeze the Windows 8 system. I'm trying to do more tests. And if anyone else who tested the same configuration please follow this post, thank you for your time.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 9, 2012 1:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I made a mistake at first. Now I'm trying to reproduce the issue you provided. Will post my result later.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 6:06 AM
  • Hi,

I just finished my test. I used a virtual machine in Hyper-v.

1. storage pool from 2x60GB disks.

2. simple 500GB virtual disk with thin provisioning. Mounted as a drive and share a folder in that drive.

3. Create a 15GB VHD file on a Windows 2008 R2 system, copy it repeatly to the shared folder.

The Windows Server 8 Beta system stopped responding when I copy the eighth 15GB file. I got the "no enough space" error on Windows 2008 R2 side.

It seems to be a problem if it will freeze the Windows 8 system. I'm trying to do more tests. And if anyone else who tested the same configuration please follow this post, thank you for your time.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 9, 2012 1:22 AM
  • Hi,

In my case the difference in size is important!

The disk subsystem (I think Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller) stops response each time than the smallest (in my case 76Gb) disk is full. Just before freeze and after computer restart (hard reset) Server Manager shows that pool is Ok (green), each disk is Ok, but free space (as I said) on the smallest one is zero byte, after restart.

It issue reproducible in 100% times on my machine (I had  around 7 tries).     

Best regards,
    Stanislav Spiridonov

Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:29 AM
  • Had  the same problem. 

In my case created a 300G disk (pool is 698G) and the copy operation got stuck at about 99% full.  Successfully deleted some items off the disk but the copy operation was still stuck (and using about 25% cpu). 

Killed lots of processes just to see if something was preventing progress.  Tried to cancel the copy.  Still stuck and using cpu.  Eventually killed Windows Explorer after an hour or so.  Tried copy again and it immediately got stick.

Reboot.  Still the same problem.

On the storage spaces control panel the pool and disks showed ok.

BTW, unfortunate that you can not extend a disk that is using the storage pool. 

Sunday, March 11, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Thank you for all the replies. I'm reporting this as a potential bug. If anyone else who encounter similar result please just follow up.

Monday, March 12, 2012 8:46 AM
  • I'm experiencing this too, 1 3TB drive and 2 150GB drives, no error messages, just a really unstable test server. Correct behavior should be to warn somewhere visible that space is low, and give option to cycle in a drive of larger capacity than the one that is full, not just add more storage to the pool. Particularly since the physical bays are now filled, USB was the solution for a temp add but now they're stuck without doing the delete the virtual disk trick.
    Friday, April 6, 2012 7:42 PM
  • I ran into this same situation, doing an XCOPY of files across the network to my storage pool using windows 7.  The xcopy stopped with an error that the network was no longer available.  Could not access the share anymore in explorer.  On the windows 8 server box, click the drive letter and explorer stops responding.  Same with the storage pool management, never stops refreshing.  Could not reboot either and give the 'wait for event service...'.

Had to do a hard restart.

I had 8 2tb drives in my pool, the storage pool management did show over 1tb free but I think it is misreporting the amount of free space.

I added another 4 2tb drives to my pool and it successfully was able to add the drives and it is working again.  I think it is important that all the drives be the same size, this is normal for RAID systems anyway.

I found that using XCOPY to copy a large amount of big files and using the /J (unbuffered copy) helps.  Using windows explorer in windows 7 to copy will either give a network timeout (retry continues the copy) or a replace file dialog will appear with the destination file of 0 bytes.  Hitting to replace does copy the file.

Saturday, April 7, 2012 7:37 AM
  • Same problem here. Server 8 beta, 3x 250GB physical disks in a pool, set up as a 4TB thinly-provisioned parity virtual disk.

Explorer file copy stops responding having copied 464GB (2x 232GB), which is the maximum you would expect to be able to copy without adding more disks. Storage Pools in Server Manager hangs on trying to refresh it. OS responds very sluggishly from this point, will not shut down, needs a hard shut down.

• Edited by David Trounce Friday, May 11, 2012 5:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by sdjamel87 Friday, May 11, 2012 6:02 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 5:24 PM