Windows Server 2016 listed as "Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

we are using the WSUS Server in our company for Win7, Win10 and up to Windows Server 2012.
    Since a week we also connected 2 Windows Server 2016 Standard. But these are listed as "Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition". How can we fix this?

Also on one of the 2016 Server it sometimes shows 4 missing Microsoft Defender Updates (on the WSUS) and then in the next 1-2h they are gone... on the Server itself it always tells me that it is up2date. Is there a way to check what is going on?

On the Server it has the Windows Defender 1.235.1354.0 and on the WSUS it is telling me that it needs:

-Defintionsupdate for Windows Defender KB22676602 (Defintion 1.235.1318.0)
    -Defintionsupdate for Windows Defender KB22676602 (Defintion 1.235.1328.0)
    -Defintionsupdate for Windows Defender KB22676602 (Defintion 1.235.1335.0)
    -Defintionsupdate for Windows Defender KB22676602 (Defintion 1.235.1343.0)

Our WSUS Server is V. 6.3.9600.16384

Thanks in advance.
    Mike

Thursday, January 26, 2017 12:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael,

>Is there any other advantage or new Feature with the WSUS 2016?

WSUS 2016 is the trend with time pass, while at present, server 2012 and server 2012R2 could still handle most of the updates apart from some small issues, such as the display issue. So, if you are not hurry to upgrade the WSUS server, you may still on server 2012R2.

>If I decline the other windows defender versions, will other Server 2016 that have a older windows defender be able to upgrade to the newest ones? Or do they need the versions in between to upgrade?

If you decline them, then others clients can't install them. You may decline the pervious versions and only leave the latest one, so that others need to upgrade to defender may still get the update from WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Michael_87 Wednesday, February 1, 2017 1:59 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael_87,

1. As for windows server 2016 not show correct version in WSUS 2012 R2, I got the same result and seems haven't been a fix. While in WSUS 2016, it is correct:

>Also on one of the 2016 Server it sometimes shows 4 missing Microsoft Defender Updates (on the WSUS) and then in the next 1-2h they are gone... on the Server itself it always tells me that it is up2date. Is there a way to check what is going on?

As for windows defender, if you have installed or update to the latest version, then, you may decline the pervious ones on WSUS server and run Server Cleanup Wizard.

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 27, 2017 7:40 AM
  • Hi Anne,

thanks for the reply. Funny how Microsoft is always behind in updating their older systems to adapt the newer ones... Well, still good to know that my WSUS Server is not outdated.
    Is there any other advantage or new Feature with the WSUS 2016? I do not want to migrate to 2016 just because of this "display error".

For the 2nd question: If I decline the other windows defender versions, will other Server 2016 that have a older windows defender be able to upgrade to the newest ones? Or do they need the versions in between to upgrade?

Regards
    Mike

Friday, January 27, 2017 9:09 AM
  • Hi Michael,

>Is there any other advantage or new Feature with the WSUS 2016?

WSUS 2016 is the trend with time pass, while at present, server 2012 and server 2012R2 could still handle most of the updates apart from some small issues, such as the display issue. So, if you are not hurry to upgrade the WSUS server, you may still on server 2012R2.

>If I decline the other windows defender versions, will other Server 2016 that have a older windows defender be able to upgrade to the newest ones? Or do they need the versions in between to upgrade?

If you decline them, then others clients can't install them. You may decline the pervious versions and only leave the latest one, so that others need to upgrade to defender may still get the update from WSUS server.

Best Regards,

Anne

• Marked as answer by Michael_87 Wednesday, February 1, 2017 1:59 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:40 AM