none
Recursive DNS Query RRS feed

• Question

• I have looked everywhere and I am finding nothing. I would like to find a way to see the results of the recursive DNS query from my computer. I am on an AD domain so I know the query gets sent to my DC for resolution, then if not in cache on the DC it will use root hints (Since I dont have any forwarders specified) to resolve the name. So what I am looking for is a way to see where my DC is forwarding the query to see if it is a DNS server in the same geographical location as my network. Nslookup will show me the end result of the resolved name but I would like to see the recursive process sort of like a tracert for DNS queries. Does anyone have any ideas? I hope this is making sense.

Thanks!

Chad Guiney

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 8:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

To see the process of the recursive DNS query, you can use cmd command: nslookup set d2 to check the details.

> NSlookup

>set d2

> [Name you want to resolve]

You could refer to the following official article as your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/nslookup

Hope this can help you, if you have anything unclear, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Charlie4872 Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:01 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 8:39 AM
  • This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much for the quick response!

Chad Guiney

Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:01 PM
  • Hi,

You're welcome.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Good luck

Ellen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 14, 2019 1:38 AM