none
WSUS console unexpected error when choosing All Computers folder

Question

• WSUS worked fine until a couple of weeks ago, now when I choose the All Computers folder the console will stop with an unexpected error. All other folders are working.

Removing the Microsoft\MMC\wsus file does not solve the issue.
    KB3159706 is installed and POST configured as described in the article.

Detailed error:

The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. If this error persists, 

Try removing the persisted preferences for the console by deleting the wsus file under %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\.

The WSUS administration console has encountered an unexpected error. This may be a transient error; try restarting the administration console. If this error persists, 

Try removing the persisted preferences for the console by deleting the wsus file under %appdata%\Microsoft\MMC\.

System.Xml.XmlException -- 'T', hexadecimal value 0x16, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 611015.

Source
    System.Xml

Stack Trace:
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseNumericCharRefInline(Int32 startPos, Boolean expand, StringBuilder internalSubsetBuilder, Int32& charCount, EntityType& entityType)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseCharRefInline(Int32 startPos, Int32& charCount, EntityType& entityType)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseText(Int32& startPos, Int32& endPos, Int32& outOrChars)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseText()
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
       at System.Xml.XmlReader.ReadStartElement()
       at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ReadStringValue()
       at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ReadTypedPrimitive(XmlQualifiedName type, Boolean elementCanBeType)
       at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderApiRemotingCompressionProxy.Read1_Object(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
       at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderApiRemotingCompressionProxy.Read2_GenericReadableRow(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
       at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderApiRemotingCompressionProxy.Read339_Item()
       at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.ArrayOfObjectSerializer623.Deserialize(XmlSerializationReader reader)
       at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
    ** this exception was nested inside of the following exception **

System.InvalidOperationException -- There is an error in XML document (1, 611015).

Source
    System.Xml

Stack Trace:
       at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
       at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPSearchComputers(String computerTargetScopeXml)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPSearchComputers(String computerTargetScopeXml)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.ComputerTarget.SearchComputerTargets(ComputerTargetScope searchScope, UpdateServer updateServer)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.BulkComputerPropertiesCache.GetAndCacheComputers(ExtendedUpdateScope updateScope, ComputerTargetScope computerTargetScope)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.ComputersListPage.GetListRows()
    The System.Xml.XmlException -- 'T', is not a letter "T" but a smaller symbol looking like a  "T".

Could a computer account be the cause or is the database corrupt ?

Please advise..

Friday, September 09, 2016 12:16 PM

Answers

• Finally solved it myself:

Installed SQL management studio, logon locally as administrator and connect to the database:

\\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query

Then select the SUSDB and find the computer causing the issue:

Select * from dbo.tbComputerTarget 

Find the corresponding TargetID (in my case 1700) and enter:

delete from dbo.tbComputerTarget where TargetID = '1700'

All Computers now working again.

• Marked as answer by henkieeeee Monday, September 12, 2016 2:27 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2016 2:27 PM
  • Hi henkieeeee,

Could you please share the solution how you find the TargetID?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Anne

Create a new query, copy this script and execute:

SELECT DISTINCT
        a.FullDomainName,
        a.IPAddress,
        b.Name as "Group Name",
    c.TargetID
    FROM dbo.tbComputerTarget a, dbo.tbTargetGroup b, dbo.tbTargetInTargetGroup c
    WHERE c.TargetID = a.TargetID AND c.TargetGroupID = b.TargetGroupID
    ORDER BY a.FullDomainName

You should see the TargetID of each machine in the 4th column.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 6:21 PM

All replies

• Hi henkieeeee,

Please check if the following method could work:

1. Decline all unneeded and superseded updates, then run server cleanup wizard to clear them;

2. Reindex WSUS database using the following method:

On WSUS 2012 R2, we may use the following method to reindex WSUS database:

1.Download and install the following tools:

Microsoft Command Line Utilities 11 for SQL Server:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36433

ODBC driver 11 for SQL:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=36434

2. In CMD, direct to SQLCMD.exe path using command:

cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\110\Tools\Binn

3. Cope the script and store it locally:

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/6f8cde49-5c52-4abd-9820-f1d270ddea61#content

4. In CMD, run the following command:

SQLCMD -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query -i <script location>

Feel free to feed back the result after doing that.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 12, 2016 6:35 AM
  • Hi henkieeeee,

Please check if the following method could work:

1. Decline all unneeded and superseded updates, then run server cleanup wizard to clear them;

2. Reindex WSUS database using the following method:

On WSUS 2012 R2, we may use the following method to reindex WSUS database:

1.Download and install the following tools:

Microsoft Command Line Utilities 11 for SQL Server:

ODBC driver 11 for SQL:

2. In CMD, direct to SQLCMD.exe path using command:

cd C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\Client SDK\ODBC\110\Tools\Binn

3. Cope the script and store it locally:

4. In CMD, run the following command:

SQLCMD -E -S np:\\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query -i <script location>

Feel free to feed back the result after doing that.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Hi Anne,

Thanks for your reply, unfortunately the steps did not solve the issue...

I also installed the WSUS console on another server, but same error.

Monday, September 12, 2016 8:36 AM
  • Update: when choosing "Computers with errors" (Overview dashboard) it show the All computers folder with the failed computers, if I choose "No Status" it shows computers, If I choose "Needed or Any" it will crash...
    Monday, September 12, 2016 8:42 AM
  • Update: When searching for computers: searching for servers or pc's, OK, when searching for laptops console crashes again.....seems related to when laptops are queried the console crashes.
    Monday, September 12, 2016 9:37 AM
  • Update: when searching all laptops: names are LAP0001 to LAP1400

searching for LAP will crash

searching LAP01 (all laptops starting with 01) OK, LAP02 till LAP 11, but searching for
    LAP12 will crash, so maybe one or more laptops starting with LAP12 are the source of the issue.

Monday, September 12, 2016 9:49 AM
  • Update: narrowed it down to LAP1264, when searching for it console will crash....now I need to find out how to delete this computer from wsus, through powershell it claims:

"The specified item could not be found in the database."

• Edited by henkieeeee Monday, September 12, 2016 9:57 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2016 9:54 AM
  • Finally solved it myself:

Installed SQL management studio, logon locally as administrator and connect to the database:

\\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query

Then select the SUSDB and find the computer causing the issue:

Select * from dbo.tbComputerTarget 

Find the corresponding TargetID (in my case 1700) and enter:

delete from dbo.tbComputerTarget where TargetID = '1700'

All Computers now working again.

• Marked as answer by henkieeeee Monday, September 12, 2016 2:27 PM
    Monday, September 12, 2016 2:27 PM
  • Hi henkieeeee,

Glad to hear you have already solved the issue by yourself. It's highly appreciated that you share the solution with us. Cheers!

Best Regards,

Anne

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 1:16 AM
  • Hi henkieeeee,

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Anne

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 7:02 AM
  • Hi henkieeeee,

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Anne

Create a new query, copy this script and execute:

SELECT DISTINCT
        a.FullDomainName,
        a.IPAddress,
        b.Name as "Group Name",
    c.TargetID
    FROM dbo.tbComputerTarget a, dbo.tbTargetGroup b, dbo.tbTargetInTargetGroup c
    WHERE c.TargetID = a.TargetID AND c.TargetGroupID = b.TargetGroupID
    ORDER BY a.FullDomainName

You should see the TargetID of each machine in the 4th column.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 6:21 PM
  • Hi EmeraldDush,

Thanks for your sharing, it's nice of you :)

Best Regards,

Anne

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:40 AM
  • Hi, but how to know what computer is corrupted to proceed to delete?
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 5:47 AM
  • I also don t know. Just deleted all clients from the target group. all seemed to be fine again  but after while the target group was damaged again somehow. Still trying to find a solution.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 4:41 PM
  • I was experiencing the exact same error:

System.Xml.XmlException -- '', hexadecimal value 0x16, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 153345.

Source
    System.Xml

Stack Trace:
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseNumericCharRefInline(Int32 startPos, Boolean expand, StringBuilder internalSubsetBuilder, Int32& charCount, EntityType& entityType)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseCharRefInline(Int32 startPos, Int32& charCount, EntityType& entityType)
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseText(Int32& startPos, Int32& endPos, Int32& outOrChars)
       at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializationReader.ReadTypedPrimitive(XmlQualifiedName type, Boolean elementCanBeType)
       at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderApiRemotingCompressionProxy.Read1_Object(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
       at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderApiRemotingCompressionProxy.Read2_GenericReadableRow(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
       at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderApiRemotingCompressionProxy.Read339_Item()
       at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.ArrayOfObjectSerializer623.Deserialize(XmlSerializationReader reader)

System.InvalidOperationException -- There is an error in XML document (1, 153345).

Source
    System.Xml

Stack Trace:
       at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.ApiRemoting.ExecuteSPSearchComputers(String computerTargetScopeXml)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPSearchComputers(String computerTargetScopeXml)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.ComputerTarget.SearchComputerTargets(ComputerTargetScope searchScope, UpdateServer updateServer)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.BulkComputerPropertiesCache.GetAndCacheComputers(ExtendedUpdateScope updateScope, ComputerTargetScope computerTargetScope)

Backstory: In an attempt to fix this, I've redeployed WSUS on Server 2012 R2 and split out Windows 7 and 10 clients to different WSUS computer groups, and found that everything worked fine for a while, until my WSUS 'Windows 7' computer group started crashing with the same error. I then created a second 'Windows 7 - 2' WSUS computer group, tweaked my GPO settings to point to it, and sure enough, it worked for a while and then stopped just as before. However, what I noticed was that my original 'Windows 7' computer group now worked! I spoke with my colleagues and we agreed that it had to be a bad computer record that was breaking the SOAP/XML-parsing WSUS console as it switched computer groups.

I'm excited to say that I was able to fix this issue today! The problem ended up being invalid Dell laptop model/BIOS information, that contained an invalid Unicode character. WSUS automatically gathers model and BIOS system data through WMI calls, and in this case, it stored invalid character data in its SUSDB database.

Here are the steps I followed to identify and fix the offending computer.

* Accessed the WSUS server and intentionally caused the WSUS console to crash by accessing the broken computer group.
    * Hit the Copy error info button to put the data in my clipboard.
    * Installed Notepad++ and pasted the error info (standard Notepad, Wordpad, etc. will not display the invalid character, so this step was required).
     --> The "System.Xml.XmlException -- '[x]', hexadecimal value 0x16" line should properly display an invalid character where the [x] is. In my case, the invalid character was a single symbol that contained the letters SYN.
    * On the WSUS server, I launched the SQL Management Studio Express software as an elevated process (free software from Microsoft).
    * Connected to my WSUS WID database at  \\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query  .
    * Changed a default view setting by going to the Tools > Options > SQL Server Object Explorer settings, then adjusted the 'Value for Edit Top <n> Rows command' from 200 to 0, making the option display all rows.
    * Through trial, error, and some luck, I navigated down within the SUSDB database, to the dbo.tbComputerTargetDetail table, right-clicked it, and selected 'Edit All Rows'.
    * I was then able to click the top left corner of the column/rows to select everything, then copy-pasted it into NotePad++ (and again, Excel, Notepad, Wordpad, etc. didn't suffice here -- it had to be NotePad++ to view the character data).
    * Within NotePad++, I then searched for the for that invalid SYN symbol (your symbol might be different, but I had to use the clipboard to get it into the search box).
    * Located the symbol within my dbo.tbComputerTargetDetail table, and it listed it as follows:
     --> Target ID column: 1312 ... DELL__SYN Unknown BIOS Date: 04/10/15 Ver: A03.00
     --> This is broken Dell model/BIOS information contained an invalid character as part of its model number.
    * Within SQL Management Studio Express, I then right-clicked the dbo.tbComputerTarget table, selected Edit All Rows, and matched the previously mentioned Target ID (1312 in this case was my bad target/record ID from the last step) to a row that showed me the full FQDN of the offending computer on my network, a Dell laptop.
    * To make the fix as clean as possible, I avoided changing anything through the SQL Management Studio Express sofware, as linked records could break things if I tried manually deleting anything.
    * Physically located the Dell laptop, and used Dell Command Update software to update the BIOS to the latest version, and rebooted it.
    * Forced a WSUS client check-in on the laptop by running the following from the command prompt:  WUAUCLT /RESETAUTHORIZATION /DETECTNOW
    * After waiting several minutes for the laptop to compare notes with the WSUS server, I then also ran  WUAUCLT /REPORTNOW  on the laptop.
    * I noticed that the SQL dbo.tbComputerTargetDetail table entry immediately reflected an accurate laptop model and BIOS information for my laptop's Target ID of 1312, eliminating that SYN symbol.
    * More importantly, my WSUS MMC console now works flawlessly, and I can access all computer groups without any problems.

Good luck!

-Sterling
    • Proposed as answer by SterlingT Tuesday, October 25, 2016 2:25 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2016 2:24 AM
  • Many thanks Sterling! That was invaluable!
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 2:53 PM
  • Sterling, I want to first and foremost thank you for your in-depth guide.  I'm not SQL savvy but was able to make my way through your guide.  I have two SYN records, but I'm not able to find whose machines these are.  I have 1400 laptops in this particular table, and the table doesn't list the asset tag or IP address.  How did you find the exact laptop?  I'm so close!
    • Edited by jlachowin Friday, December 16, 2016 2:01 PM
    Friday, December 16, 2016 1:59 PM
  • nevermind, found the asset and IP address info in the dbo.tbComputerTarget table.  Sterling is a genius people.  WSUS console doesn't crash.
    Saturday, December 17, 2016 12:31 AM
  • Lifesaver... Thank you for taking the time to thoroughly share that Sterling.  I will add that I used portable database.net (did get an error on connection though) to connect to the database and was able to just run a select query on dbo.tbComputerTargetDetail  and then copy the data rather than having to use edit.
    Friday, January 13, 2017 10:48 PM
  • Excellent article!

Here is a sql query I used to find the 'corrupt' computers in the SUSDB database: (replace the hex value 0x16 with the hex value you got in the error message):

select * from tbComputerTargetDetail a
    join tbComputerTarget b on b.TargetID = a.TargetID
    where a.ComputerModel like '%' + CHAR(0x16) +'%'

- Tor

Friday, February 03, 2017 12:28 PM
  • Hello, 

I have the same issue, I read the posts and its all clear besdies one thing.

I cant figure out which computer ID is the problematic in my case, my log is veryvery similiar to yours ...

System.Xml.XmlException -- '', hexadecimal value 0x16, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 277496.

Source
    System.Xml

Stack Trace:
       at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)

System.InvalidOperationException -- There is an error in XML document (1, 277496).

Source
    System.Xml

Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.ComputerTargetManager.GetComputerTargets(ComputerTargetScope searchScope)

How can i say, which computer ID is causing the problem ?

thanks,

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 1:33 PM
  • Many thanks, Sterling! It's work!

The NotePad++ can locate the invalid SYN symbol!!

• Edited by kicvincent Friday, September 01, 2017 9:33 AM
    Friday, September 01, 2017 9:30 AM
  • Hi jlachowin,

After copy & paste all the records to Notepad++, walk through all the records between the columns (Computer Brand name) and (Computer model name), you may recognize a special symbol, like below capture. That's the one!

The left-hand side first column is "Target ID". In my case, the Target ID is #84.

• Edited by kicvincent Friday, September 01, 2017 9:50 AM adjust
    Friday, September 01, 2017 9:44 AM
  • Thank you!! You confirmed my suspicion and this fixed worked great. Thanks SterlingT!
    Friday, November 03, 2017 3:13 PM