none
Virtual Disks residing on a Storage Pool Storage Space do not stay attached RRS feed

• Question

• Brand new install of Server 2012 Standard. Plugged in 4 drives from an install of Windows 8 Server Preview. Those drives were part of a storage pool and they had about 10 Virtual Disks that were residing on the Storage Pool. The pool is now available to this new server. I can 'attach' the virtual disks and they work fine until I reboot the machine. The virtual disks become detached again and they show the little yellow triangle warning next to them but there are no errors associated with them. How can I permanently attach them?

Thx

Sunday, September 23, 2012 10:35 PM

Answers

• I got it working but using powershell Set-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName mydiskName -IsManualAttach $False

Thx

• Marked as answer by CostasZ Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:37 PM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:37 PM

All replies

• Someone, please? This is a showstopper. There's no evidence of any malfunction but the virtual disks get detached at every reboot and the associated volumes of course disappear.
    Monday, September 24, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Hi,

Currently I think it will be a workaround to create a startup script to mount the unattached volumes/virutal disks automatically. Please have a look in Event to see if there is any error related to this issue for further analysis.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:18 AM
  • I got it working but using powershell Set-VirtualDisk -FriendlyName mydiskName -IsManualAttach $False

Thx

• Marked as answer by CostasZ Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:37 PM
    Wednesday, September 26, 2012 12:37 PM
  • Thank you, works perfectly also for RTM-to-RTM migrations!
    Tuesday, December 25, 2012 6:21 PM

Thx

I just had this problem with a windows 8 to windows server migration.

The powershell command fixed it.

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Nils v W Saturday, September 14, 2013 5:09 PM
    Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:05 AM
  • I have tried using the Powershell command, but I get errors stating: 

Set-VirtualDisk : The requested object could not be found.

Surely there must be an easier way to permanently set the Storage Space to automount on reboot?

Any ideas why I'm getting this error?  Thanks for all replies!

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 5:17 PM
  • First execute Get-VirtualDisk to get a list of all the virtual disks. It should show the FriendlyName value in the first column.

By right-clicking a virtual disk in Server Manager > File and Storage Services > Volumes > Storage Pools and selecting Properties > Details > Property: IsManualAttach you can see the current value of the IsManualAttach property but there seems to be no way of changing it using the GUI.

Monday, October 21, 2013 8:07 PM
  • When you add a storage pool that was originally created on another server the volumes of that disk are all marked with "IsManualAttach=True" and "IsReadOnly=True" by design. Server Manager GUI does not allow you that change all attributes of volumes, e.g. you can change the volumes to R/W in the GUI but you can't change the IsManualAttach attribute in the GUI, you have to use PS to change this.

This scenario would also apply if you re-install the OS and re-attach a virtual disk to the re-installed/"new" OS.

Hope this helps.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 5:50 AM
  • Open your administrative level PowerShell prompt and type in the following.

Get-VirtualDisk | Where-Object {$_.IsManualAttach –eq $True}

This lists off your virtual disks where the IsManualAttach property is turned on and the disks will not auto-reattach on restart. You can see I have four of them for this demo box I use.

Now run the line again but include the following:

Get-VirtualDisk | Where-Object {$_.IsManualAttach –eq $True} | Set-VirtualDisk –IsManualAttach $False

There won’t be any output, since you are piping the results into the Set-VirtualDisk command which will modify  ALL the IsManualAttach property to false.

StorageSpace will now re-attach my drives correctly, even on restart!

To test this type: 

Get-VirtualDisk | Where-Object {$_.IsManualAttach –eq $False}

- Demetre // BDXBits

• Edited by Demetre J., Thursday, October 9, 2014 9:57 PM
    Thursday, October 9, 2014 9:55 PM