none
Non-Domain PC's accessing a Domain Server

Question

• Hi

I have a new server 2012 set up, and it has a share on it, 3 users have been made and assigned security groups. The folders within the share have been customised so only certain user groups can access them. This all works great.

I have always known that non-Domain pc's can access shares on a Domain Server, all you have to provide when connecting to the server for the first time is the Domain\Username and Password.

Now when does this connection time out? so it would ask again (after a period of not accessing the server)

Or does it only disconnect when you reboot and then ask you again?

Is there a way to manually disconnect so you can log in as a different user? (obviously while testing on one PC i logged in as a lesser user, and now would like to properly log in myself now)

Just to clarify - This is logging into a share from a non-domain PC, with the User details set up on the server

Thanks

Tris

Monday, December 10, 2012 2:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• Connection should not time out.  It disconnects when you log out or power down the client.  In Windows Explorer you can right-click the shared connection and select disconnect.  But, each connection is unique to the individual user, so if you log in, even on the same PC, with a different user, that user would have to connect with their own credentials.

tim

Monday, December 10, 2012 10:38 PM
  • Hi,

In addition, you can manually configure the autodisconnect feature via

net config server /autodisconnect:number

More information:

Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost

Session Time Limits

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:37 AM
  • Hi

I think I have been slightly mistaken, disconnecting a session doesn;t require re-entering a username and apssword, as I managed to manually disconnect them from the server session.

I am hoping when I reboot my mina PC it will ask me again to authenticate when I try to connect to the server.

What I want to be able to do is be re-asked to authenticate when connecting to a server not necessarily the share.

when I first connected to \\Server it asked me for a username and password, obviously I entered the ADUser account I had set up, but on a differnt pc i accessed it through an account with limited access to test the file/folder shares I had set up were working (which they were).

I want to know is there a way to get the computer to reask me for those credentials?
    does it happen on reboot of the PC?
    (I made sure the tick box was not ticked for the computer to remember the credentials)

Thats what I would like to reset as easy as possible please

thanks

Tris

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:29 PM
  • Not sure what you mean when you say that you want to be "re-asked to authenticate when connecting to a server not necessarily the share".  What else would you be accessing the server for, except for access to a shared resource?  Since the clients machines are not part of the domain, the domain is only concerned about domain credentials when you try to access a service on the domain, a service such as a file share or printer share.

You can manually disconnect.  When you log off, it will disconnect.  When you reboot it will disconnect.

There are two boxes to check in the GUI when you make a connection to a file share.  Reconnect at login and Connect using different credentials.  If you uncheck the Reconnect box, the next login will not automatically connect, and the user will have to specifically ask to be connected.  If you uncheck the Connect box, it will try to use the user's current credentials (which would work if the username and password of the domain account are the same as the username and password of the domain account).

But I'm not exactly sure what you want the end user to see.  Do you want them to be automatically connected when they log in, and require them to enter credentials?  If that's what you want, check both boxes.

tim

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:46 PM
  • If you create a user on the workgroup PC with an identical user name and password as the user on the server, you will not be prompted to authenticate. That will fix the reboot credentials having to be re-entered. 

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:32 PM
  • Hi

I think I have it sorted and don;t think I was explaining myself fully.

Situation was this;

The server had a shared folder on it, the subfolders had different user rights

There is no mapping, just direct connecting to the server, BES. so on XP, Start, Run, \\BES
    At that point you are asked for your username and password which is used for any share you access.

My issue was that the XP machine I was on and had used for testing one of the restricted users (important he doesn't have certain access to certain files) is often left on. Which meant it remembered the username and password for accessing \\BES. Obviously once it was rebooted it had to re-ask me for the username and password (same on Windows 7).

What I wanted to know was, is there a way to change the username and password used to access \\bes, without rebooting the workstation, or logging on or off.... would be useful to know how to get it to forget. (Again none of this is using mapped drives)

Obviously rebotting and it forgetting, also indicates that I didn;t tick the 'remember' tick box to allow it to remember the username and password - This leads me to my second question, If I had accidentally selected it to remember is there a way to make it forget?

Hope this helps explain

Tris

Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:23 PM
  • There must be something set up on the BES system to expect such a connection.  When you are connected to the BES server, does any remote connection show in Explorer?  If so, right-click and disconnect.

Curious, if you issue a "net view \\BES" command from a client, what do you see?

tim

Friday, December 14, 2012 1:45 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, Net use command utility can help us.

Net use

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg651155(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, December 14, 2012 3:01 AM