Icons on Desktop in GPO RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

Please help how in Group Policy Settings set icons This Computer and User folder on desktop?

Friday, November 17, 2017 9:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

For your needs, we could create shell object shortcuts under User Configuration –Preferences – Shortcuts.

Here are some screenshots about the settings for your reference:

For user folder, we could select the current user folder on the DC.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 20, 2017 6:32 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my research and test, there is no built-in option to achieve the needs.

But we could display This PC and user folder by modify the following registry value, so we could set the following registry value by Group policy to achieve your needs. Detailed settings as below:

Path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel

Value:

{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} (For this PC)

{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee} (For user home folder)

Value data:

Data=0 (display the icon)      Data=1 (hidden the icon)

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by GrzegorzKwi Thursday, November 23, 2017 11:22 AM
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For your needs, we could create shell object shortcuts under User Configuration –Preferences – Shortcuts.

Here are some screenshots about the settings for your reference:

For user folder, we could select the current user folder on the DC.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

William

Monday, November 20, 2017 6:32 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    William

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 9:13 AM
  • Thanks for help.

I have now this two icons on desktop but its olny icons so I dont have full functionality if I have full icon This Computer.

I try set the same icons as this metod:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027090/windows-show-desktop-icons-in-windows-10

but form GPO

is it possible?

• Edited by GrzegorzKwi Wednesday, November 22, 2017 10:47 AM
    Wednesday, November 22, 2017 10:47 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my research and test, there is no built-in option to achieve the needs.

But we could display This PC and user folder by modify the following registry value, so we could set the following registry value by Group policy to achieve your needs. Detailed settings as below:

Path:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel

Value:

{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D} (For this PC)

{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee} (For user home folder)

Value data:

Data=0 (display the icon)      Data=1 (hidden the icon)

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

William

• Marked as answer by GrzegorzKwi Thursday, November 23, 2017 11:22 AM
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:13 AM
  • Thanks for your answer.

I tested it and its what I need.

This is very helpful for me.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 11:26 AM