none
Remote Desktop Sessions Freeze with 1809 RRS feed

• Question

• RDP sessions freeze randomly.  User Input still gets to the other end, but the client display is frozen except for the cursor.

Best way out is stop that session and start a new RDP session.

This is new behavior that began occurring immediately after the recent update to 1809 in the spring of 2019.

Does this on all 4 of my Win 10 Machines.

• Moved by cloris_sun Monday, April 29, 2019 7:53 AM correct forum
    Sunday, April 28, 2019 10:15 PM

All replies

• You could set the color depth of the remote session to "True Color (24 bit)" and test if it helps.

Monday, April 29, 2019 5:00 AM
  • hi,

0 from your description ,when you remote access from win10 to session host server ,the remote desktop session freeze,is it true?
    1 can you enter winver in command prompt on win10 computer and look the os version and os version number? [for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]

2 can you enter winver in command prompt on session host server and look the os version and os version number? [for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]

3 find one problematical win10 computer, please check the symptom in a clean boot (refer to windows 10 steps) environment if it is possible. Ensure the latest update has been installed to avoid known issue on this test win10
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 5:42 AM
  • Is there any progress on your question?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 12:47 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the reply

0 yes, I use 2 Surface Pros (SP4 and SP6) as RD clients to 2 win10 desktops as RD servers. Freezes occur in any combination thereof.

1 all computers involved are 1809 17763.437

3 Not possible now due to time constraints (need to work) maybe later...

Thursday, May 2, 2019 3:49 PM
  • HI again,

This still occurs, but only 2-10 times a day.  Mostly seems to correlate to times when I am at home connecting to work over the Internet and there is some network congestion.  Never seems to happen when I am using the same client and server when I am at work going over the Intranet.  I mostly just restart the RD session immediately now that I recognize the signature so it doesn't slow me down much.

Thanks.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 3:54 PM
  • Tried that but no joy.
    Friday, May 3, 2019 5:43 PM
  • Hello,

I did not experienced this issue before on windows, however firstly try to test It from antoher client and then try to update your workstation.

Mark it as answer if your question has solved. MCT Regional Lead. x2 MCSE-MCSA Exchange Server & Windows Server

Friday, May 3, 2019 8:07 PM
  • Update 5/5/19,

Thanks for the suggestions, but no positive result from any of them.

Further info.  Last time this happened (just now), I waited through the freeze, only clicking on a few places in Acrobat reader.  When it unfroze after about 20 seconds of my doing nothing but waiting, I saw that the clicks had been recognized on the other end but not displayed to me until the un-freeze.  I then did the same thing that triggered it originally, going forward one particular page in the pdf document I was reading.  And it froze again!

Killed the RDP session and started a new one and it did not repeat.

Conjecture that fits my symptoms:  Something in the downstream channel that updates my client screen becomes unhappy and freezes my screen as the result of something in the downstream data.  When this happens the client display freezes, but the upstream channel keeps functioning.  Once this happens the RDP session may appear to recover, but it is unreliable and needs to be killed to fully clear the problem.

P

Sunday, May 5, 2019 4:52 PM
  • This is not related to Acrobat reader, it does this on many apps.
    Sunday, May 5, 2019 4:54 PM
  • hi,

when the problem happened again .can you write the system time and look if there is any related log .

when the problem happened ,we can write the system current time then  look if there is any log information about current issue on both client win10 and server win10.

event viewer\windows logs\

application

security

system

on both client and  server

Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows – TerminalServices-**** 

Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows – RemoteDesktopServices-****

Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows-remoteapp and desktop connections

Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows-remoteapp and desktop connection management

when you ping target server on your client computer ,is there any difference between normal time and fault  time ?

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 2:26 PM
  • I've been having the same issue since upgrading to 1809 and 1903.

I keep a ping window open at all times to check ms and packet loss, and I've found that almost every single time it freezes, I lose a packet in the ping.

I've tested this with several ISP's in different locations, and found it always seems to correlate with packet loss.

I'm going to see if I can disable UDP over RDP, because UDP has to be re-transmitted manually. I suspect that somewhere along the way that mechanism has broken.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 2:46 PM
  • I have the same problem here, also after upgrading from 1809 to 1903.

And it's seems to be related on what application on the remote machine is running.

When Skype is started it happens more frequently.

BR

Andy

Thursday, June 27, 2019 7:39 AM
  • Driving me nuts. I'm a sysadmin for global company and often work from home and remote into my office PC over a Cisco AnyConnect VPN. All since updating that PC to 1903........grrrrrrrrrr

• Edited by Garret NZ Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:51 AM
    Tuesday, July 9, 2019 8:49 AM
  • I am also experiencing this issue after updating to 1903.

This morning I changed my RDP protocol configuration from Use either UDP or TCP (2) to Use both UDP and TCP (0). I did that by modifying registry value SelectTransport under registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp from 2 to 0 and have not experienced any freezes since then. Note that this setting can be controlled by a group policy (c.f. Microsoft.Policies.TerminalServer::TS_SELECT_TRANSPORT).

For those who want to give it a try, make sure you reboot the remote workstation after applying the registry change.

Simon-Pierre

Friday, July 19, 2019 4:01 PM
  • Actually, changing 'SelectTransport' registry value to '0' didn't make much difference in the long run. However, as suggested on https:: //serverfault.com/questions/945591/rdp-over-udp-failing-on-windows-10-1809-with-reduced-mtu-links?rq=1, changing it to '1' did.
    Thursday, August 1, 2019 5:13 PM