none
Realtek Ethernet Card works under Win 7 but not under Win Server 2008R2

Question

• I have a workstation running Windows 7 that I am trying to convert to Windows Server 2008 R2.  It has the following Network Adapter - Realtek RTL8186/8111 Family PCI-e Gigabit Ethernet (NDIS 6.0) which works fine under Window 7.

When I install Server 2008R2 I get an error with the adapter saying "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".  On the Realtek website it looks like the driver is the same for Win 7 or Server 2008R2 but I downloaded it anyway and re-installed it and the error persists.  The solution on many sites is to install a digitally signed driver, but the one from Realtek is already digitally signed as far as I know.

I have tried unistalling the adapter and having Device Manager scan for new hardware.  It detects the adapter and instals the driver but still I get the above error message.

I have the same problem with my "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" and a bunch of "Other Devices" including my "SM Bus Controller" but I'm only really worried about the network adapter because a Server that can't see the network is not particularly useful.

Any suggestions?

• Moved by Vincent HuModerator Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:58 AM (From:Network Infrastructure Servers)
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 6:50 AM

Answers

• Hello,

please contact Realtek for the driver problem, this do not belong to the Microsoft forums. Thank you for understanding.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:32 AM

All replies

• Hello,

please contact Realtek for the driver problem, this do not belong to the Microsoft forums. Thank you for understanding.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 7:32 AM
  • Hi, I am currently experiencing this same exact problem, with the same installs and hardware you have. I'm very interested to know how you resolved this. 
    Monday, April 02, 2012 2:54 AM