Client Backup Database Cleanup Not Executing RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am having trouble with the cleanup task for the client backup database. On Sunday I got notice from the server the the cleanup task did not execute successfully in >14 days. The history for the task is enabled but does not show any entries. The "last run" date is 3/9/13. I executed the cleanup task manually from the task scheduler, which worked apparently problem free. Upon completion the successful execution appeared in the history. I checked the Event Viewer->Application and Services Log->Microsoft->Windows->Windows Server-> Admin log, which showed event IDs 274 and 275 for the manual executions, but none associated with the Saturday 11:59 PM scheduled execution. The task is enabled. 

Can anyone help me debug why the task is not executing as scheduled?

• Changed type Andy Qi Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:25 AM
    • Changed type Andy Qi Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:26 AM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 1:22 AM

All replies

• Have you seen an alert like "Database has some errors"? if so try repair the database first and dose the automatically backup work?
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 5:38 AM
  • Have you seen an alert like "Database has some errors"? if so try repair the database first and dose the automatically backup work?

No, I have not seen an error like you mention. As I mentioned, I can execute the task manually and it runs successfully to completion. So it does not seem like I have a corrupt client backup database.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 11:23 AM
  • I've got the same issue the Cleanup not running.  Also the ConsistencyChecker is not running either. I can start it manually and it runs fine.

• Edited by working1 Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:52 PM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:38 PM
  • Please upload logs。

Log Collector download link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34821

Or you can find your logs here:

%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows Server\Data

Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:22 AM
  • Did you already attempt a server reboot?

Maybe some process involving Scheduled tasks is hanging or acting improperly due to lack of resources, recently applied upgrades or such and a reboot would fix that.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:28 AM
  • Same problem here with both the Cleanup and ConsistencyChecker tasks. The server was installed in January and both tasks ran weekly (as scheduled) up to and including March 9/10. Since then they haven't run automatically even though enabled. I have successfully started them manually a few times since then.
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:30 AM
  • All,

just saw your responses. Here a few points:

1. The server was rebooted multiple times over the past weeks. So if the state of the machine went weird during one week, it should have been fixed during the next reboot.

2. Just two weeks or so ago, I upgraded the RAM from 4 GB to 12 GB. Since I am not running much software other than stock, this should be plenty sufficient.

3. I did not want to dilute the issue, but, yes, the ConsistencyChecker task has the same problem.

4. Over the next days, I will gather the logs and submit the logs files for analysis, either through connect (if I have access) or one of you. I may wait to Sunday morning to do that to wait for the next missed execution.

Haje

• Edited by Haje Korth Friday, April 12, 2013 1:54 AM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:40 PM
  • Same problem here with both the Cleanup and ConsistencyChecker tasks. The server was installed in January and both tasks ran weekly (as scheduled) up to and including March 9/10. Since then they haven't run automatically even though enabled. I have successfully started them manually a few times since then.
    Is this date by any chance consistent with the release of the last rollup? I installed that immediately upon release.
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 4:42 PM
  • That would have been my next question as well.

Also please check the event logs of the server, if around the time of the task messages point to issues to start the task (or DCOM permissions and similar stuff).

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:39 PM
  • March 9th & 10th don't appear to correspond to the update rollup -- or any other updates. According to my Windows Update history, the rollup was installed on 2/27 and the next batch of updates were installed on 3/12.
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 2:49 AM
  • March 9th & 10th don't appear to correspond to the update rollup -- or any other updates. According to my Windows Update history, the rollup was installed on 2/27 and the next batch of updates were installed on 3/12.
    Since the cleanup task only executes once per week, the 3/12 Patch Tuesday could be related to the failure but, since this is a relatively new server and I have made other configuration changes and installed third-party software, it does not have to be. Learning that others are in the same boat tells me though that there may be common cause. In any case, I am waiting for tomorrow morning to check the execution status and am prepared to submit a bug report if the problem still exists. 
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 8:35 PM
  • Task execution for the Cleanup and ConsistencyChecker tasks failed again to execute overnight. That is the tasks did not event trigger as the history in the screenshot below shows. I am presently running manual executions of these tasks. The Cleanup tasks is presently running and the manual trigger showed up immediately in the history. I will complete manual execution of both tasks and then collect the logs for bugs submission.

Sunday, April 14, 2013 11:27 AM
  • Bug has been submitted on Connect. The ID is 783615. Link is here. Please vote and insert your comments.
    Sunday, April 14, 2013 12:20 PM
  • I have the same problem, last day run was March 9 & 10. 
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:24 AM
  • I just exported and reimported the Microsoft cleanup task. The tasks did not execute on schedule. However, as soon as I modified the start date to 2013-04-01 it magically started scheduling. Go figure...
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 2:14 AM
  • I can confirm that changing the date on the Client Backup Cleanup scheduled task worked for me also.  The server was installed in mid Jan 2013 and the client backup cleanup has never run automatically per its scheduled task.  Every week or so, I receive an alert in the Health Report that the backup client cleanup did not run.  I then run it manually and it completes successfully. A few days ago, I followed your lead and reset the date on the scheduled task to April 1, 2013.  Last night, the scheduled cleanup task ran automatically for the first time.  We'll see if this continues to 'fix' the problem.

Thanks of the tip!

--
    Merv  Porter
    ============================
    Sunday, April 28, 2013 12:51 PM
  • Another confirmation that changing the start date to 4-1-2013 fixed the issue.  Go to properties, edit triggers and change the start date there.
    Sunday, May 5, 2013 12:05 PM
  • For the ones who have (had) the Cleanup issue:  are you also seeing that the Windows Server\ConsistencyChecker task never runs? Is there anything in its History tab? It seems there is an issue with Weekly tasks...

Mark Berry
    MCB Systems

Thursday, May 23, 2013 3:55 PM
  • For the ones who have (had) the Cleanup issue:  are you also seeing that the Windows Server\ConsistencyChecker task never runs? Is there anything in its History tab? It seems there is an issue with Weekly tasks...

Mark Berry
    MCB Systems

Yes, both tasks are affected and I reported both issues in the same connect bug report. Microsoft has acknowledged that this is an issue with task scheduler and they are chasing it down. I have not heard any update in a while.
    Thursday, May 23, 2013 4:42 PM