none
RemoteApp RDS 2019 - windows hang RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

i am testing RDS 2019 and experiencing some "windows" hang and wont disappear again.
    After a some test and changes to some GPO i can make the "window" black or white.
    The problem roselves if this combination is clicked "<ctrl><alt><ende>" 

The problem is similar to this social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/f64d1d8b-b99b-4e22-95be-38da6ed8f33c/remoteapp-rds2019-splash-screens-stuck-on-client?forum=winserverTS.

And i have done as they suggested but no luck.

Is there any fix to this that i might have missed?

Regards

Monday, November 18, 2019 12:44 PM

All replies

• HI
    1 can you enter winver in command prompt on w2019 computer and client computer then look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 2019 standard (os build 17763.503)]
    2 can you enter gpresult /h c:\rdsh.html in cmd on session host server and look what's the policy in below location ?
    Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Windows Components\ Remote Desktop Services\ Remote Desktop Session Host\ Remote Session Environment\
    3 “i am testing RDS 2019 and experiencing some "windows" hang and wont disappear again.”
    was your splash screens always in front of main windows ?
    4 if you only open notepad remoteapp on client computer ,will the same problem happen on notepad remoteapp?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 6:34 AM
  • Hi
    Thanks for the reply.

1. winver shows: Windows Server 2019 Datacenter version 1809 (OS Build 17763.864).

2. Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp Disabled
        Use hardware graphics adapters for all Remote Desktop Services sessions Disabled 

3. the splash screen is always in front of everything except the program its running.
        If the above "computer configuration" is not set the splash screen override everything.

4. I can't recreate it with notepad, calculater etc.

If i test on 2016 i can't recreate the problem it only exist in 2019.

Regards
    Kenneth
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 9:34 AM
  • HI
    5. "I can't recreate it with notepad, calculater etc."
    so this issue only happen on third party software which is installed on rdsh w2019?

6."If i test on 2016 i can't recreate the problem it only exist in 2019."
    what problematical software do you use ?what's version of this software are you using?

7.can you enter winver in command prompt on client computer and look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]
    8.did this issue happen other version win10 client ?
    9.do you have standalone display card installed on rdsh w2019?
     if you can install standalone display card on rdsh w2019 then enable below policy ,
     when you remote access to rdsh w2019 by using mstsc ,will the same problem happen ?
     Use hardware graphics adapters for all Remote Desktop Services sessions.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 3:56 AM
  • Hi

5. Correct, i have not tried another thirdparty software.

6. it's our own thirdparty software.

7. Windows 10 pro Version 1903 build 18362.476

8. I have tried on previous windows 10 also, we are only running windows 10.

9. I have don't have a standalone display card. nor the oppertunity to install one

Regards
    Kenneth

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:20 AM
  • HI
    we can use Process Explorer to find the hang process then create a dump then use WinDBG analyze it.
    Process Explorer v16.30
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer
    How to Manually Generate a Process Dump using Process Explorer
    https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/how-manually-generate-process-dump-using-process-explorer
    Download Debugging Tools for Windows
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/debugger-download-tools

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Sunday, November 24, 2019 7:14 AM
  • Hi

Process Explorer dump/Debugging Tool for windows
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtpPHRoTDxCSagP4Hh9Zs8hukfg?e=LiXhiV

What are we looking for in the files?

Regards
    Kenneth

Monday, November 25, 2019 8:20 AM
  • HI
    There is no dump file in your link.
    there is a video for your reference.
    Analyzing Windows crash dump using WINDBG
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKZ_IaAGVks

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 2:48 AM
  • Hi

Can you see the file here?
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jkJtYWnw_8mQC1g-K0duWfXfTSGvXj09?usp=sharing

I'm sorry but i'm a little lost on the WINDBG

Regards
    Kenneth

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:57 AM
  • HI
    yes,i can see the file but 2 file AttachProcess0091531334.dml and AttachProcess0091531334.debugtar .But they can not be recognized by WinDBG.
    when we use below method
    to create a dump. the dump file extension is .dmp 
    could you upload .dmp file.
    How to Manually Generate a Process Dump using Process Explorer
    https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/how-manually-generate-process-dump-using-process-explorer

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:35 AM
  • Hi

Sorry.
    I have uploaded a .dmp file now

Regards
    kenneth

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:58 AM
  • HI
    10.did you install RDSH ,RDWEB,RDCB,RDgateway on one w2019 server ?
    11.if you run your problematical app on w2019 server local ,will the same problem happen ?
    12.if the end user mstsc to remote access w2019 on win10 computer then run the problematical app in w2019 session,will the problem happen ?
    13.did you mean if your problematical app installed on w2016 session host server,when the end user run this remoteapp on win10 computer ,there will not be such problem?
    14. your issue is caused by 
    win32u.dll like picture .

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:27 AM
  • Hi

10. Its a small environment with 1 broker and 3 Session.

11. The program works fine when im running on local machine (server2019)

12. And through mstsc its running just fine.

13. If i have a server2016 session host there is not this problem.

14. Okay - Any suggestion to why this happends?
    When I look around I can see this might be a MemoryLeak problem.
    I just think this is weird when it runs fine on the local machine.

Thanks for taking the time to help me :)

Regards
    Kenneth

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 11:18 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description you are experiencing RemoteApp z-order issue with the Remote Desktop client connecting Windows Server 2019.  Please open a case with Microsoft CSS so that they can have you collect logs and then work on a hotfix.

-TP

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 11:44 AM
  • Hi

If i open a support case with microsoft i would have to pay 500$ and im not really interested in that.
    Last time i had a case with them they just said it was "by design" that there was some stuff that bugged.

Is it the only possibility?

Regards
    Kenneth

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 1:46 PM
  • HI
    "I have don't have a standalone display card. nor the oppertunity to install one"
    10.if we can not install a standalone display card in production environment ,can we install it on test rds w2019 environment ?
    11.can we try to delopy below policy on session host server 2019 then check if the problem can be solved.
    local computer policy\administrative templates\windows components\remote desktop services\remote desktop session host\remote session environment
    Use advanced RemoteFX graphics for RemoteApp enable
    Use hardware graphics adapters for all Remote Desktop Services sessions enable
    configure compression for remotefx data
    enable optimized to use less memory
    windows server 2019 evaluation
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2019?filetype=ISO

12.we can select "show analytic and debug logs" and enable all related "debug"log then reproduce your issue ,finnally check if there are more log about your issue ?

on other RDS related server (RDSH,RDCB,RDWEB,RDgateway) 

event viewer\windows logs\

application

security

system

remote-desktop-management-service-

Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows – TerminalServices-****

Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows – RemoteDesktopServices-****

Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows-remoteapp and desktop connections

Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs – Microsoft – Windows-remoteapp and desktop connection management

Microsoft-Windows-TerminalServices-Gateway/Operational

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, December 2, 2019 3:01 PM
  • Hi

If i open a support case with microsoft i would have to pay 500$ and im not really interested in that.
    Last time i had a case with them they just said it was "by design" that there was some stuff that bugged.

Is it the only possibility?

Regards
    Kenneth

Hi Kenneth,

If you want the best chance of the issue being fixed then it is what you should do.  The alternative is to wait and maybe other people that are seeing similar issues will open support cases and the fix for them will solve your issue as well.  The downside is even if a fix is developed to solve the similar issue for these other people there is no guarantee it will solve it for you.

Normally you would charge the fee on a credit card and then once it is determined to be a bug they will credit your account.

I understand opening a case and dealing with support can be a pain, but sometimes there aren't any decent ways around it.  In my experience the more people that open cases on an issue that is a bug the more likely and/or faster it will be fixed.

As a workaround, have you tried using the latest Windows Store Remote Desktop app or the new HTML5 web client instead of mstsc.exe?  The end user experience will be different but it may be acceptable for your use case.

-TP

Monday, December 2, 2019 3:35 PM
  • HI

Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Friday, December 6, 2019 6:09 AM
  • Hi

I'm sorry i have not had the time to test this hopefully i can test it next week.

Regards
    Kenneth

Friday, December 6, 2019 7:05 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for the response.

I will try to use the Windows Store Remote Desktop App or the new html5 web client.

Regards
    Kenneth

Friday, December 6, 2019 7:07 AM
  • HI
    "I will try to use the Windows Store Remote Desktop App or the new html5 web client."
    Yes.it is a good idea. I hope everything goes well.
    Remote Desktop HTML5 Web Client on Windows Server 2016 RDS
    http://woshub.com/rds-html5-web-client/

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, December 9, 2019 2:11 AM