none
Best way to create Azure VMs simultaneously? Start-Job? ForEach Parallel? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm trying to create Azure VMs simultaneously from a list. Maybe there is a better way to do this, but I'm trying to do this using a foreach loop and PowerShell jobs. I keep running into issues each way I try.  If I run the script without jobs, it works but I have to wait for each VM to be created before the next one. I'd like to have all VMs created at the same time if possible.

Here's what I have so far:

$func = {

$VMLocalAdminUser = "User"
    $VMLocalAdminSecurePassword = ConvertTo-SecureString "PasswordWhatever" -AsPlainText -Force

$Credential = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential ($VMLocalAdminUser, $VMLocalAdminSecurePassword)

#using this below function to generate a unique name for each VM. I'm sure there's a better way for this.

function get-randomstring {

[CmdletBinding()]
    param ( [int]$length)

$rca = 1..$length | foreach { $ran = Get-Random -Minimum 97 -Maximum 123

[char][byte]$ran }

$rca -join ''

}
    }

foreach ($image in $imagelist)

{

$scriptBlock = {

New-AzureRmVm -Credential $Credential -ResourceGroupName "RG1445" -Name (get-randomstring -length 10).ToUpper -ImageName $image -Location "West US 2" -Size "Standard_DS2_v2" -VirtualNetworkName "ImageMaker" -SubnetName "ImageMakerSubnet" -OpenPorts 3389

}

}

Start-Job -InitializationScript $func -ScriptBlock $scriptBlock

What I get is:

PS C:\ Get-Job | Receive-Job
    WARNING: New-AzureRmVM: A property of the output of this cmdlet will change in an upcoming breaking change release. The StorageAccountType property for a DataDisk will return Standard_LRS and Premium_LRS
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
        + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [New-AzureRmVM], NullReferenceException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Azure.Commands.Compute.NewAzureVMCommand
        + PSComputerName        : localhost

I also tried putting -AsJob on the end of the New-AzureRmVm, but end up with the same error.  I also tried adding Start-Job to the front of the command within the foreach loop and that didn't work either.

Maybe there's a better way to go about all of this. Thanks so much for your help!

Sunday, June 16, 2019 3:20 AM

All replies

• Please post your script correctly using the code posting tool provided.   What you have posted is unreadable.

\_(ツ)_/

Sunday, June 16, 2019 4:51 AM
  • Sorry I didn't know about that feature. I just fixed it and edited my post. Thanks for letting me know. :)
    Sunday, June 16, 2019 11:26 AM
  • Scripts need to be correctly formatted and indented.  If you do this you will see the issues that your script has.  Formatting and indenting will make the error obvious.

PowerShell Style   Guidelines

\_(ツ)_/

Sunday, June 16, 2019 12:47 PM
  • I don't know much about Azure...  One thing though for starters:

foreach ($image in $imagelist)

What is $imagelist?  It's not defined in your code...

I guess also...  Your Start-Job is outside of your foreach loop.  I doubt that's going to work, unless you only have one single $image variable, otherwise it's only the last in $imagelist that will actually be run/used.

Sunday, June 16, 2019 4:56 PM