none
Windows Server 2012 new domain, move users from old "different (single label) domain" RRS feed

• Question

• Have a scenario in which the old domain server: Win 2003 DC is a single label domain - "ourdomain". Goal is to setup Win 2012 DC and move the users to the new properly formatted windows 2012 domain "ourdomain.com". Once I create the new domain if I simply go to the clients work station and disjoin them from old domain and then rejoin to new domain then they will no longer have access to old files and folders created on their workstations. What is the preferred method to accomplish this goal in the least amount of time and least amount of hassle.
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 8:20 PM

Answers

All replies

• Really need some feedback on this one as it's a pressing matter, anyone out there with any input, I inherited this scenario and want to expedite the task. Thanks.

Friday, December 19, 2014 12:34 PM
  • Hi,

I don't think that you can create another domain with same netbios name in the same network, but i might be wrong. Yo ucould just create a new domain with sdifferent proper name then setup a trust and using ADMT tool migrate all resources (users,groups,computers) with sid-history that will preserve righta and access and group membership.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Calin

• Edited by Calin Liviu Monday, December 22, 2014 9:24 AM wording
    Monday, December 22, 2014 9:24 AM
  • That is exactly where I'm headed is to create new domain that is properly formatted, the current domain is single label, so the new domain will definitely be different name. Concern is how problematic is the ADMT tool, error prone? When I join the users machine to the new domain and they login with their credentials will the dox/pix on their local domain machines be there?
    Monday, December 22, 2014 10:47 PM
  • I understand you comment about the domain names being different the wordage I used was example.

To better state the domain was "old" and will be new.com

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 5:12 PM
  • "When I join the users machine to the new domain and they login with their credentials will the dox/pix on their local domain machines be there?"

ADMT does not touch documents, so, yes, the documents will be there.  (I am assuming that when you say 'dox/pix' you are referring to documents.)  The issue is that they will be there with the ACLs using the original domain's SIDs.  AMDT should be mapping the new domain's SIDs to the user files so both SIDs end up there.

The best way to test your results is in a lab.  That way if anything happens, you will not have impacted production in any manner.  Great use for virtualization.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 10:42 PM
  • You're correct I meant documents and pictures, essentially all the personal files from the old domain logon on their machine they created when that machine was joined to old domain.

Is there the potential to just create the new properly formatted domain, create new users, logon to new domain with their machine with new username and then transfer their local files using USMT from their previous domain profile on same machine?

I can easily make a copy of all files to a usb drive from the old "shared files folder" from the old domain controller and place them on the new server, my greater concern is retaining their files on their local machine.

Friday, December 26, 2014 5:44 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response.

For the file migration, you could use robocopy:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145.aspx

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 29, 2014 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

Any update about the issue?

Regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 1:55 AM