none
Server 2016 Standard on Dataserver 2012 r2 licensing RRS feed

• Question

• I have Dataserver 2012 r2 running Hyper-V. I would like to put server 2016 standard on as a virtual machine to run zero clients. The physical server has 6 cores on one processor. How many 2-core licenses do I need for server 2016?
    Monday, September 10, 2018 6:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi!

As the TechNet forums is more about technical questions, I'd suggest you to contact the Microsoft Licensing Center regarding licensing questions, see the link below:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/Licensing/existing-customer/activation-centers.aspx

In addition, there's a similar post here:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/e66f5432-99f3-418a-8cb9-9aeb3c8ec445/licensing-rights-running-2016-vm-on-windows-server-2012-r2-datacenter-edition?forum=winserverhyperv

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by KenR2 Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:49 PM
    Monday, September 10, 2018 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

As Per-core license coming to Windows Server and System Center 2016 this article mentions, each processor will need to be licensed with a minimum of 8 cores, which is 4 two-core packs. Each physical server, including 1 processor server, will need to be licensed with a minimum of 16 cores, which is 8 two-core packs, you can refer to it. The following picture clearly shows some of the relationships:

Of course, you can also go to Windows Server Core Licensing calculator to calculate what you want.

If the above does not solve your problem, at your convenience, you can call the Microsoft License Activation Center to consult.

Best regards,

Hurry

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:56 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?
    Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Hurry

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, September 13, 2018 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

I'm still not sure what the answer is. I have tried contacting the MS licensing Center by phone and email and don't get an answer. They either don't answer or redirect me back to the beginning menu instead of actually connecting me to the proper person. My guess is that a virtual machine is viewed as a physical machine and that I should just get 8 2-core licenses. We are a small library and I could use server 2012 as a virtual machine for free. I would prefer to use server 2016, so it would look like Win 10. We have avoided Win 8.1. I'd rather not spend public funds if it's not necessary.

Thanks for your help!

Ken

Thursday, September 13, 2018 3:34 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Your guess is consistent with the formula link I gave you, and if you need further help, please contact me.

Best regards,

Hurry

• Marked as answer by KenR2 Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:48 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2018 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

Is there anything else I can do to help you on this issue?

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Hurry

Monday, September 17, 2018 7:29 AM
  • "My guess is that a virtual machine is viewed as a physical machine and that I should just get 8 2-core licenses."

No, Microsoft licenses the Windows Server operating system at the physical level.  Windows Server virtualization rights are granted by the license assigned to the physical host.  License the physical host correctly and you are able to run any version of Windows Server that that is granted by the license.  Since you cannot create a virtual machine that uses more resources that are available to the physical host, you will be able to create the correct VMs.

"We are a small library and I could use server 2012 as a virtual machine for free. "

There is no such thing as a "free" virtual machine.  The right to run a virtual machine is granted by a properly licensed physical host.

"I would prefer to use server 2016, so it would look like Win 10"

To run Windows Server 2016 as a virtual machine, you need to assign a Windows Server 2016 license to the physical host.

tim

Monday, September 17, 2018 2:10 PM
  • Hi,
    How things are going there on this issue?
    Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best regards,

Hurry

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 6:54 AM