none
Streaming MKV Videos in Anywhere Access on Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

as some of you might know, streaming of mkv-videos is possible on Server 2012 Essentials' Anywhere Acces if you install a matching codecpack (e.g. shark codec pack).

Now, in Server 2012 R2 Essentials/Essentials Role, it is not possible anymore with the new built-in html 5 player. Does anyone know a solution of how to play MKV-files in Anywhere Access / Remote Web Access in Server 2012 R2?

Thursday, November 7, 2013 1:10 AM

Answers

• I reply to my own Thread. I was able to fix that problem and to play back MKVs on Remote Web Access.

You have to install first 32 bit and then 64 bit Version of Shark's Codec Pack. Don't make any changes in the codec pack settings. Reboot the server and you're done.

• Marked as answer by Andrew Osmount Friday, November 8, 2013 12:48 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 12:48 PM

All replies

• I reply to my own Thread. I was able to fix that problem and to play back MKVs on Remote Web Access.

You have to install first 32 bit and then 64 bit Version of Shark's Codec Pack. Don't make any changes in the codec pack settings. Reboot the server and you're done.

• Marked as answer by Andrew Osmount Friday, November 8, 2013 12:48 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear that you have resolved the issue and thanks for sharing your solution in the forum. This will help others who face the same scenario resolve the issue quickly. If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know. I will be very happy to help.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:27 AM
  • Hello,

i have installed the Codec Pack but when i click on a mkv in the remote access media area there is only possible to download the media.. no chance to stream..

Solution?

Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:37 PM
  • It depends on your Browser.

Check Internet Explorer 11.

Sunday, November 17, 2013 1:55 AM
  • IE11, Firefox, Chrome all the same, only able to download videos ?!
    Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:52 AM
  • Are you streaming from outside your local network?

Than yeah, this seems not to be possible, no matter what file format your video has. I tried a .wmv-file and it still doesn't stream, although it is microsofts native supported container format. Only a download is possbile. No idea, where the problem is, seems to be related to WS2012 R2.

In the meantime you can check, if it works inside your LAN. It should.

Sunday, November 17, 2013 3:11 PM
  • Inside and Outside same problem. I tried mpg, avi, mkv, ts.. only download, download download... :(
    Sunday, November 17, 2013 5:24 PM
  • I can guarantee that it works with IE11 in my local network. That means you may not visit xxx.remotewebaccess.com, you have to visit https://LOCAL_SERVER_IP/remote.

If this still isn't working as it should, i can't help you anymore. Sorry.

Sunday, November 17, 2013 8:45 PM
  • Thank you, but its still not working, i have tried on some clients (Windows 7, Windows 8.1 with IE11 or Firefox)... only able to download :( I think there is a Server Problem, someone can give me a solution? :)
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:55 AM
  • The same here on my 2012 R2 Essentials with media pack. Video Streaming via DLNA works with some video formats on my Panasonic Smart TV and other DLNA player but the support of different video formats on the remote access web is extremely poor. I can only play a few mp4 files with h264 Video and AAC Audio. No way to stream WMV or MKV inside the Web.

The installation of the latest shark enhanced codec packs on the server (32 bit and 64 bit extension) did not change anything.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 2:16 PM
  • Do a reboot after you install the 32bit codec pack and again after you install the 64bit pack. Then use IE11 on a client pc.

MKVs should be recognized by the server and pictured in the remote web access.

Friday, November 22, 2013 1:24 PM