none
error 0x8007003B when transferring files between Win8.1 machine and Win7 machine RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 7 machine that I am using as a server (of sorts).

I am running a Wi-Fi network between machines.

The Win7 machine has 8 3TB External HDD (mostly Buffalo) that I have music and movies (mp4 files) and a couple of drives are for backups.  They are connected using USB3 connectivity.

Everything was working just fine until a few weeks ago when something happened.  I am not sure if any software or updates were installed but now when I try to transfer a movie file (mp4)(2.37GB) from the Win8.1 laptop to the Win& machine I after a while I get an error 0x8007003B error on network.

I have tried performing the transfer using the DNS (\\MEDIA-SERVER\netVideos_B\..) error
    I have also created a mapped drive and get the same result... error

I tried to apply the kb983620 and got a message saying it was not for the Win7 machine.

Does anyone have an ideas or suggestions on how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance
    Phill

SquireDude

Sunday, December 28, 2014 12:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Squire,

The error code 0x8007003B refers to a network problem. Do you see any error, critical or warning event log related to network?

Can you try to transfer the file using IP address instead of DNS and see if that helps?

Thanks,

Umesh.S.K

Sunday, December 28, 2014 3:41 PM
  • Not sure how to get the IP for a drive?  What would the format be and I'll try it?

I have checked the Event Viewer on the Win8 laptop (sending device) and there does not seem to be anything there for this error.

Thanks

SquireDude

Sunday, December 28, 2014 8:14 PM
  • I tried to apply the kb983620 and got a message saying it was not for the Win7 machine.

KB983620 was included in service pack 1 which is probably why it would not install.

Documentation for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932)

You mentioned \\MEDIA-SERVER\netVideos_B\.. here you could try replacing MEDIA-SERVER with actual ip address. You might also try diabling autotuning.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967475

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, December 28, 2014 10:34 PM
  • I have a similar problem using a windows 7 machine as a kind of server, also have a win 7 laptop and a win 8.1 desktop. I'm able to transfer back and forth on the win7 machines with no issues when transferring from win 8 to win 7 I often but not always get an error 0x8007003b: An unexpected network error occured. Any suggestions?
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:02 PM