none
WMS with OpenGL RRS feed

• Question

• I am hoping to support a 4 seat installation of Solidworks on WMS. My test system has an i5 760 cpu with 8 GB on a motherboard with dual pci-e x16 slots. I have tested 3 different video cards so far and none have worked. For two, Solidworks runs but only with software emulation. With the third, I can't even boot up after the drivers are installed. Incidentally, I plan on licensing all 4 seats, so no worries there.

Everything else runs fine.

Is this a hopeless task?

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 8:30 PM

All replies

• Good afternoon.

I was curious if I could get a litlle more information about the issues you are hitting.

If I get this right, with two of the video cards, WMS seems to run just fine but Solidworks is having some issues and is only running in software emulation mode?

Our test team ran some tests on Solidworks and reported some issues during the installation but they were able to get past these by switching the compatibility mode to 'Win XP SP3'. They did not report issues with running the software itself although I'm not sure how in-dept they tested the application.

When running in software emulation, is it mainly just slower or are there other obvious signs?

Thanks,

David

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, August 16, 2010 10:58 PM
  •  

Thanks for your response. I can install without problems. I am now using a 45 day network license  for the educational version. The issue is whether it is or will ever be possible to run the program with hardware acceleration (OpenGL). What I can get is software emulation of OpenGL. Now this is OK for now but presumably is not as fast in rendering 3D images. I am not an expert in this area. All I know is that  under options and then performance, hardware OpenGL cannot be selected. The cards I am using now are Quadro FX 380, which are low level but which do support hardware OpenGL when used in a single computer installation.

Perhaps this is pushing the terminal services model too far.

Milt

Monday, August 23, 2010 5:46 AM