none
Server 2012 Standard - initial setup

Question

• Hi

I have just done a fresh install of Server 2012. Two things I guess I am after.

1. Is there a good guide about the initial set up (there was for SBS2008 on web and in book form that took you through step by step all initial options you should configure). Is there anything for server 2012 standard?

2. I have gone to 1 on the inital tasks from the Dashboard, which is the Local Server.

The plan of the server is to be a file server with security settings for 3 users. I want the advanced control of security and access read/write etc that servers give over just general windows, as well as the ability of the user control. However at the moment I am happy for all my current computers to connect to the server and provide credentials separately rather than the indidivudal computers be controlled by the server (however new computers I may wish to instigate this and join them to 'the domain') This is where my next problem is;

2.1 It seems to have set the server up on a workgroup, shouldn;t this be a domain... the option to change says to 'join' a domain, well there is no domain to join as it would be the creator of the domain (in future I may wish to add more servers) Is there anything I need to do here? or does this get configured as I complete the other tasks and assign the active directory roles, etc?

2.2 The windows Firewall is set to Public:On - surely as this is in my building it should be set to Private:On to all all my PC's to connect to it? I have tried to change this but it doesn't seem to allow me to redesignate the network it is within? how do I do this? or again will this get changed when I assign roles etc?

Thanks

Tris

Saturday, December 08, 2012 12:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Thanks for your help.

I actually meant a book for step by step. I appreciate Standard servers are to be as flexible as possible, but I was looking for someones guide to hyelp me through the typical initial set up stages.

This is my first proper standard server (and i remembered the SBS Diva website  and wondered if there was an equivalent for Standard 2012)

I have figured out the 2.1 and 2.2. These got resolved when Iset up the roles (AD on the server and made it a Domain Controller, my issue was it faced me with the workgroup and firewall issue before it promped me with step 2 installing features LOL.

I am just making a simple server that will be a file server to allow users to log in to the shares and access files (some restricted for different users)

So far I have done the Active Directory install
    File services done automatically by 2012
    Made it a promoted domain controller (it is the only server)

Now I believe all that is left is to make the 3 users and make the shared folder, copy the data and set the security features on the the folders.

If you can think of anything i've missed i'll be very grateful

Thanks

Tris

• Marked as answer by TristanMartin Sunday, December 09, 2012 7:17 PM
    Sunday, December 09, 2012 7:14 PM

All replies

• 2.1 It seems to have set the server up on a workgroup, shouldn;t this be a domain... the option to change says to 'join' a domain, well there is no domain to join as it would be the creator of the domain (in future I may wish to add more servers) Is there anything I need to do here? or does this get configured as I complete the other tasks and assign the active directory roles, etc?

2.2 The windows Firewall is set to Public:On - surely as this is in my building it should be set to Private:On to all all my PC's to connect to it? I have tried to change this but it doesn't seem to allow me to redesignate the network it is within? how do I do this? or again will this get changed when I assign roles etc?

Thanks

Tris

Hello Tristan,

Standard servers do not have the complete configuration step by step wizards that the SBS (sniff, R.I.P). servers had. SBS assumed a one-server-for-all-solution: file share, a mail server, print server, etc. and therefore the Wizard walked you through it all step by step.

In standard server,you will need to to search the web for article that will show you how to accomplish each individual task. 

Ref: 2.1 To promote the Server 2012 to be a domain controller, follow these steps:

http://www.falconitservices.com/support/KB/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=79

Here's how to join a Windows 8 workstation:

http://www.falconitservices.com/support/KB/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=64

Here's how to join Win7 workstations:

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows7/Connect-your-computer-to-a-domain

Ref: 2.2 If you have a hardware firewall, you can just turn off Windows firewall completely. The Public is just a 'zone' that the firewall applies rules to. Can you post back what your network design looks like?

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog

Saturday, December 08, 2012 4:39 PM
  • Hi Thanks for your help.

I actually meant a book for step by step. I appreciate Standard servers are to be as flexible as possible, but I was looking for someones guide to hyelp me through the typical initial set up stages.

This is my first proper standard server (and i remembered the SBS Diva website  and wondered if there was an equivalent for Standard 2012)

I have figured out the 2.1 and 2.2. These got resolved when Iset up the roles (AD on the server and made it a Domain Controller, my issue was it faced me with the workgroup and firewall issue before it promped me with step 2 installing features LOL.

I am just making a simple server that will be a file server to allow users to log in to the shares and access files (some restricted for different users)

So far I have done the Active Directory install
    File services done automatically by 2012
    Made it a promoted domain controller (it is the only server)

Now I believe all that is left is to make the 3 users and make the shared folder, copy the data and set the security features on the the folders.

If you can think of anything i've missed i'll be very grateful

Thanks

Tris

• Marked as answer by TristanMartin Sunday, December 09, 2012 7:17 PM
    Sunday, December 09, 2012 7:14 PM