none
External Hard Drives (and some flash drives) Not Recognized by Server2003

Question

• I recently purchased a new computer (Dell T100 server) and old Server2003 disk (OEM disk on eBay). Installed Server2003 and added File Server role only. My data is located on a Western Digital Passport that is recognized no problem on any other computer in the office (all XP). When I connect it to the server (front or rear, same result), it does not give it a drive letter, and says there are 0 bytes used 0 bytes free. Under Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management it shows: Volume: blank, Layout: Partition, Type: Basic, File System: blank, Status: Healthy. It's as if it does not know how to read the file system.
    What do I need to do to Server2003 to get this drive with my data on it to be read by my new server?
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:22 PM

Answers

• Hahahahaha! Being an employee of Microsoft, I'm sure you would rather do that. But I could buy 10 to 20 hard drives for the price of one license for Server 2008!!!! You are a funny funny man. You also have no concept of what your products cost.

In any case, I'm pretty sure where I stand on this issue, whether or not you want to admit it. I basically have no support for any drive that is not recognized by Server2003. If it works, WOW! Lucky! But if it doesn't, tough luck, too bad, so sad.

I get it. I've been here before with hardware and Window$ products. I *threw away* a pile of printers and scanners with the move to WinXP. History has a nasty habit of repeating itself . . .

• Marked as answer by Samurai7 Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:55 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:54 PM

All replies

• Additional info: I tried many different USB drives, and here are the results:

HP 2GM USB Flash drive: OK
    SanDisk 8GB USB Flash drive: OK
    WD Passport, 320GB: Unrecognized
    Toshiba 60GB in generic USB adapter: Unrecognized
    iLogic 1GB USB Flash drive: Unrecognized

Is this somehow driver related? It seems that the "older" brands (HP, SanDisk) work but the "newer" units do not. Sounds like drivers to me. But where do I get drivers for each of these if they come driverless because support is supposed to be built in?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Hi,

Following is the System Requirements from Western digital’s website.

Windows

• Available USB port
    • Windows 2000/XP/Vista®

My Passport Essential 320GB USB 2.0 Hard Drives(WDMEB3200)

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=426

Yes, generally speaking, if an external drive or flash drive can be recognized by Windows XP, it should work in Windows Server 2003. However, there is no guarantee.

If possible, I recommend that you plug the “unrecognized” drive to some other Windows Server 2003 computers to test whether it works. If the issue continues, I suggest that you contact the vendor or the drive for more details.

By the way, what’s the version of Windows Server 2003 you used? Please update it to the latest service pack to check whether they works.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:00 AM
  • The version of OS running on the server is:
    Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2
    Enterprise Edition
    Service Pack 2, v.4478

I have installed all the latest patches and updates possible using Microsoft Update. The drives that I have tested on it behave exactly the same on an older Dell server (with USB v1.1 hardware). The same drives are recognized/not recognized (as in the above list) and behave exactly the same. The OS is exactly the same one, (same license for the moment, but the older one is being decommisioned as soon as the new server becomes functional) and has the same SP2 v4478. The symptom is following the OS, not the hardware.

I can readily believe that Microsoft does not have the same driver support on an OS that is 6 years old compared to Vista. And that even WinXP (which predates Server2003 by 3 years) has had more updates with more drivers than Server2003. But the manufacturers (Western Digital, Toshiba, iLogic) do not provide drivers because support is supposed to be built in. So do I have to go ask Western Digital which of their Passport products is SPECIFICALLY supported on Server2003 and buy that one?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:14 PM
  • Hi,

I will prefer to buy Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 insted of buy a Windows Server 2003 supported external hard drive.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:23 AM
  • Hahahahaha! Being an employee of Microsoft, I'm sure you would rather do that. But I could buy 10 to 20 hard drives for the price of one license for Server 2008!!!! You are a funny funny man. You also have no concept of what your products cost.

In any case, I'm pretty sure where I stand on this issue, whether or not you want to admit it. I basically have no support for any drive that is not recognized by Server2003. If it works, WOW! Lucky! But if it doesn't, tough luck, too bad, so sad.

I get it. I've been here before with hardware and Window$ products. I *threw away* a pile of printers and scanners with the move to WinXP. History has a nasty habit of repeating itself . . .

• Marked as answer by Samurai7 Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:55 PM
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:54 PM
  • Hi,

Guess this is a late reply - but it worked for me. I was going through all the forums and was able to see the external hard disk drive as RAW device in the device manager. I made the partition active by right click and restarted the server. Again I went to the device manager and assigned a drive letter to the external HDD displayed.

The external HDD started getting displayed as a Local Hard disk and not as a USB drive with the assigned letter. Served the purpose.

PS: I also applied the Fixit from the link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314634/en-us

Raj

• Proposed as answer by hozain_88 Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:33 PM
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:29 AM
  • Raj u r a simple and smart guy.. Thank you very much.
    Tuesday, January 08, 2013 11:04 AM
  • Yes I know this is late but the easiest way to achieve this in Windows Server 2003 WITHOUT having to reboot is. Start>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>

It should show up here simply right click Change Drive letter and paths, Click Add Figure out what you want the drive letter to be and viola without rebooting your drive is usable with all access to all existing data.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:14 PM
  • There are some information about extend system partition for Windows Server 2003. You can get in and learn what you need.

http://www.partition-magic.org/windows-server-2003/extend-system-partition-windows-server-2003.html

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:43 AM
  • Hi,

This worked perfect for me...and very easy..Thanks

Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:35 AM