none
Can I connect directly to a desktop in a pooled vdi collection running on server 2012 using an rdp client? RRS feed

• Question

• I've set up a test server with a pooled vdi collection of Windows 7 desktops.  I am able to use web access to connect to one of the desktops using my test account.  However, if I try to use my local rdp client to connect to testhost.domain.com, it rejects the connection as my test user isn't a member of the remote desktop users group on the server.  "Testhost" is the connection broker, so I had expected that by trying to RDP to that server, I would be redirected to a virtual desktop, similar to how a connection broker in a 2008R2 RDSH farm will redirect incoming connections to a farm member. 

My end goal is to connect to these vdi sessions from a thin client, using the built in rdp client.  Is this possible?  Am I doing something wrong?

Also, what is the minimum version of RDP that could be used to connect to a 2012 connection broker / VDI pool?

Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:16 PM

Answers

• A Windows Server 2012 deployment is designed to be accessed via the RDWeb feed (which is why RDWA is no longer optional when running Remote Desktop Services installation).  A client needs to connect using an .rdp file that has the collection name embedded in it so that Connection Broker knows where to route the incoming connection request.  If you logon to RDWeb or connect using the RemoteApp and Desktop Connections UI (feed URL) then the client is delivered an .rdp file that has the collection name in it already.

The problem with trying to use the RDC client directly is that there is no way to enter the collection name into the UI.  So the Connection Broker interprets this as an attempt to logon directly to the Broker itself and this is not allowed unless you are making an admin connection.  I admit that is not the best error message but that is what it is trying to tell you.

So if you're using a thin client that doesn't know that you are connecting to Windows Server 2012, it won't have a way to specify the collection name.  Windows-based thin clients will work once they are updated, but one of the main problems with non-Windows thin clients trying to connect to Windows Server 2012 is that they have never implemented a way to connect to the RDWeb feed. I hope that they do eventually do this, but I don't know of any currently that are designed this way.

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

• Marked as answer by NeighborGeek Friday, October 26, 2012 1:57 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 12:07 AM

All replies

• A Windows Server 2012 deployment is designed to be accessed via the RDWeb feed (which is why RDWA is no longer optional when running Remote Desktop Services installation).  A client needs to connect using an .rdp file that has the collection name embedded in it so that Connection Broker knows where to route the incoming connection request.  If you logon to RDWeb or connect using the RemoteApp and Desktop Connections UI (feed URL) then the client is delivered an .rdp file that has the collection name in it already.

The problem with trying to use the RDC client directly is that there is no way to enter the collection name into the UI.  So the Connection Broker interprets this as an attempt to logon directly to the Broker itself and this is not allowed unless you are making an admin connection.  I admit that is not the best error message but that is what it is trying to tell you.

So if you're using a thin client that doesn't know that you are connecting to Windows Server 2012, it won't have a way to specify the collection name.  Windows-based thin clients will work once they are updated, but one of the main problems with non-Windows thin clients trying to connect to Windows Server 2012 is that they have never implemented a way to connect to the RDWeb feed. I hope that they do eventually do this, but I don't know of any currently that are designed this way.

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

• Marked as answer by NeighborGeek Friday, October 26, 2012 1:57 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2012 12:07 AM
  • One possibility is to open RDWeb and extract the RDP file.

Start the IE and open your WebAccess.

After logging in, save the page on your pc.

Edit the .aspx file an look for the RDP-URL in your Source-code.

Download the RDP-File.

Hope this helps.

Friday, October 26, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Thanks for the detailed explaination dgeddes.  I'll have to test and see if our older thin clients (Win CE 6 based) can even connect to the vdi collection using the web interface.  I would prefer not to have users see or use the web interface, just because it's different and would take a bit to get them used to it, but if it does work, it might be worth the change. 
    Friday, October 26, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Hi Don,

How about Windows 2016 RDS?  Is it possible to directly logon to Windows 10 instead of logon to RDWeb?

In addition, I noticed that logon to RDWeb is quite slow ~ 30sec to 60sec.

Kelvin Teang

Monday, January 8, 2018 6:15 AM
  • I'd like to know this, or any way to connect to a vdi collection via a linux based (igel) terminal
    Tuesday, April 24, 2018 12:15 PM
  • Just a heads up. I've spoken to the IGEL development team. They have put a feature request in to specify vdi collections within the terminals profile. I'll report back if they manage to do it. It's technically possible, I have all the commands needed to get it working.
    Monday, June 25, 2018 8:05 AM
  • Dev team approved my request and the feature should be coming shortly in their next firmware release.  I believe this will be the first terminal to be able to specifically connect directly to a vdi collection, independant of which user logs in.
    Tuesday, January 15, 2019 11:37 AM
  • Hi has this feature been developed? which firmware release are you referring to? a windows 2016 update?

thanks 

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 2:29 PM
  • Yes, my company was the first to trial it.  Other than using a windows based terminal with the Microsoft RDP connection settings specifying the collection id, the only non windows based terminal is an Igel device.  The firmware was released to us a few months back in beta, but has gone gone into general release.  It's brilliant!

We have over 1,000 dumb terminals and can specify which terminal connects to which vdi collection independant on which user account logs in.  Never believe anyone who says it's impossible!

• Edited by GlenHarrison Wednesday, September 18, 2019 7:09 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 7:09 AM