none
How to Properly Change the LUN for Clustered DFS RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks for this forum and for taking the time to look into my question.

I have a 2-node Failover Cluster with File Services.  I am presently working on moving the underlying storage to a new SAN, so the process entails adding new storage into the cluster, copying my data, and then adding the new disk as storage for the clustered role and creating a share.  This portion of the migration is working just fine.  I am only moving to a new SAN (i.e. new LUN), not changing actual clustered servers.

So, I have a couple of drives that show up in my Failover Cluster Manager as a Distributed File System.  These were set up by another admin.  Last night, I tried to move the data from one of these drives to a new LUN.  Now, as you can imagine, the DFS portion is broken.  Those replicated folders have dropped out of my view from inside of FCM and do not appear to be replicating.

In my scenario, how should I properly migrate these shares that are DFS enabled?  I am assuming that a better approach would be to disable the DFS first BEFORE I copy the data, but I don't really know where to go from there.  I'm decent at Failover Clustering, but a beginner when it comes to DFS.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 2:06 PM