none
Windows Server 2016 Datacenter Backup and Restore Issues with Cluster Shared Volume RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

I am running a Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 2 nodes hyper-converged cluster. I am using Storage Spaces Direct to create a Cluster Shared Volume (1 TB virtual hard drive). In order to be accessible on both nodes, it creates a volume path on the C: Drive where my OS is installed.

CSV: 1 TB

The issue: When I backup my C: Drive (by using Windows Backup or any other backup solution), it runs fine. However, when I am trying to restore C: Drive, it says I don't have sufficient space to restore the image and I need at least 1 TB drive (the 1 TB CSV is seen as "part" of C: Drive).

The question: I know my setup can't use a drive letter, but is there a way to "hide" the CSV when performing OS backups?

Thank you!

• Edited by Infantryman Saturday, August 10, 2019 8:34 PM
    Saturday, August 10, 2019 8:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your question!

If you want to backup your OS, we can ues system state backup or Bare metal backup  instead of backup C drive.

• System state backup: Backs up operating system files, enabling you to recover when a machine starts but you've lost system files and registry. A system state backup includes:

• Domain member: Boot files, COM+ class registration database, registry

• Domain controller: Active Directory (NTDS), boot files, COM+ class registration database, registry, system volume (SYSVOL)

• Machine running cluster services: Additionally backs up cluster server metadata

• Machine running certificate services: Additionally backs up certificate data

• Bare metal backup: Backs up operating system files and all data except user data on critical volumes. By definition a BMR backup includes a system state backup. Provides protection when a machine won't start and you have to recover everything.

For more information, please see here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/dpm/back-up-system-state-and-bare-metal?view=sc-dpm-2019

Hope this can help you, please let me know if you have any question. If reply is helpful, please help me mark it as an answer.

Thanks,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Infantryman Monday, August 12, 2019 7:04 PM
    Monday, August 12, 2019 5:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question!

If you want to backup your OS, we can ues system state backup or Bare metal backup  instead of backup C drive.

• System state backup: Backs up operating system files, enabling you to recover when a machine starts but you've lost system files and registry. A system state backup includes:

• Domain member: Boot files, COM+ class registration database, registry

• Domain controller: Active Directory (NTDS), boot files, COM+ class registration database, registry, system volume (SYSVOL)

• Machine running cluster services: Additionally backs up cluster server metadata

• Machine running certificate services: Additionally backs up certificate data

• Bare metal backup: Backs up operating system files and all data except user data on critical volumes. By definition a BMR backup includes a system state backup. Provides protection when a machine won't start and you have to recover everything.

For more information, please see here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center/dpm/back-up-system-state-and-bare-metal?view=sc-dpm-2019

Hope this can help you, please let me know if you have any question. If reply is helpful, please help me mark it as an answer.

Thanks,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Infantryman Monday, August 12, 2019 7:04 PM
    Monday, August 12, 2019 5:36 AM
  • Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I know where to start from to solve my issue!
    Monday, August 12, 2019 7:05 PM
  • You're welcome!

Have a nice day!

Daniel

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:27 AM