none
SBS 2003 to Windows Server 2012 R2 Foundation Problem (Cannot demote, license problem and shutdowns) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I am installing a new Windows Server 2012R2 Foundation server in an existing SBS 2003 domain (mydomain.local).
    The server could not be installed in migration mode as it was installed automatically using an HP process.

I installed DHCP and DNS on the destination server.

Exchange does not have to be migrated (migrated to Exchange online successfully).

The destination server is now a domain catalog and the source server is a domain controller.

I uninstalled DHCP on the source server and both servers are using the destination server as DNS server. 

I did an adprep /forestprep on the destination server (could not execute it on the SBS 2003 as it is 32bits) and it returns that "Forest-wide information has already been updated".

When I do the command "netdom query FSMO" on both server, the command completes successfully and shows the destination server for all roles, but the command completes only if the source server is up and running.

I disabled IPv6 on the destination server.

Now, the problem is that the SBS 2003 is shutting down every 2 hours (or something like that) and the 2012 destination server is shutting down every few days (happened once already) for licensing reasons (but it is activated successfully).

Also, I cannot demote the source server because it says "The box indicating that this domain is the last controller for the domain "mydomain.local" is unchecked. However, no other Active Directory domain controllers for that domain can be contacted ..."

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Xavier

EDIT: I found event ID 13568 for the File Replication Service on the source server. Adding the "Enable journal wrap automatic restore" value as mentionned in the event id description followed by the "net stop ntfrs" "net start ntfrs" commands seem to have solve the demote problem.

• Edited by vpxav Wednesday, July 8, 2015 11:49 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 10:44 AM

Answers

All replies