[Question] Hyper-V Reference point creation and RCT RRS feed

• Question

• I'm writing a code for backup based on RCT.

I've found that a reference point should be created for the RCT-based incremental backup.

However, when I tried to create reference points, I failed in creation of .rct files.

I've tried to create a reference point using the CreateReferencePoint method of

the Msvm_VirtualSystemReferecenPointService class with the input parameter:

inParams["ReferencePointType"] = 1; // RCT based

But, it did not create .rct file. Instead, a .hrl(Hyper-V Replication Log) file was created.

I've tried the other parameters, such as 0 (Log base) and 2 (Not in the reference manual).

The results were "Error code 32773", which looks "Invalid Parameters."

Please kindly advise me for the troubleshooting.

Thank you in Advance.

Min-Joon Kim.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 8:29 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

Before I told you our hyper-v forum doesn't focus on this topic, I have consulted with my PowerShell colleague and C++ colleague. The all told me this is not a PowerShell\C++ related question.

Since I am really not familiar with code and development related question, I would suggest you have this asked in the following forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=whatforum

This forum will tell you where to go ask questions and redirect you to the right place.

You could mark the useful reply as answer to end up this thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Thursday, February 27, 2020 2:43 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Please understand, our forum mainly focus on troubleshooting hyper-v manager related questions.

Your question is related to write a code for backup based on RCT, which our hyper-v forum doesn't focus on.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 9:23 AM
  • Hello,

Would you kindly guide me the right place ?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Min-Joon Kim.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020 12:39 PM
  • Hi ,

Before I told you our hyper-v forum doesn't focus on this topic, I have consulted with my PowerShell colleague and C++ colleague. The all told me this is not a PowerShell\C++ related question.

Since I am really not familiar with code and development related question, I would suggest you have this asked in the following forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=whatforum

This forum will tell you where to go ask questions and redirect you to the right place.

You could mark the useful reply as answer to end up this thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Candy

Thursday, February 27, 2020 2:43 AM
  • Thank you so much.

Min-Joon Kim.

Thursday, February 27, 2020 8:27 AM
  • You are welcome.

Have a nice day!

Thursday, February 27, 2020 8:35 AM
  • Hi Min-Joon Kim,

Which backup tool did you use? Windows server backup or some third-party backup tools? 

What's the OS version of your server? Server 2016 or other version? 

I found something related , this might can answer your question.

RCT was built-in natively from server 2016. If you are using windows server backup, I would suspect WSB will not create .rct file.

Here is a similar thread discussed before, you might have a look:

Resilient Change Tracking

Many of the cases I've seen is that RCT created by third-party backup software instead of WSB.

So my suspicion is that even if you modify the parameter to RCT based through parameter, the HRL file will still be created if you are using WSB.

For your reference:

VM backup with Hyper-V Changed Block Tracking (CBT)

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, March 2, 2020 10:02 AM
  • Thank you, Candy Luo.

Actually, I'm writing some codes to develop such a 3rd party backup solution.

Thank you for the websites.

Best regards,

Min-Joon Kim.

Monday, March 2, 2020 10:47 AM