Windows backup created a checkpoint but I can't remove or revert. RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows Server backup to capture my hyper-v guests and noticed on the 24th that the backup created a Snapshot (checkpoint).  However normally the word "NOW" is displayed below the checkpoint except it is not.  It just shows: SERVERNAME - backup - (12/24/2014 - 8:04:10 PM) and that's it.  No option to remove it, or revert.

The other strange thing that happened on this date was the backup began keeping copies.  before it was only keeping the latest backup.  That however has stopped as well and I am only getting the latest copy again.  What's up with this?

Friday, January 2, 2015 3:54 PM

Answers

• DigitalMan161,

The following blog gives details on how to deal with such situation.

https://gilgrossblog.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/cant-remove-hyper-v-backup-checkpointsnapshot-from-vm/

Hope it is helpful.

Do let me know in case if you still have issues.

- Anantesh

• Proposed as answer by Anantesh Marandi Friday, January 2, 2015 6:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Elton_Ji Thursday, January 15, 2015 5:54 AM
    Friday, January 2, 2015 6:49 PM
  • Hi sorry for the delay.  Strangely enough, after closing and reopening Hyper-V Management console the snapshot disappeared.  I am still confused however on the number of backup copies.  I noticed that it is not retaining some copies again (instead of just 1).  Is it based on disk space available on the backup device?

Thanks for the feedback.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 4:10 PM

All replies

• By chance do you see a avhd or avhdx file with your virtual machine? Also, if you go into the VM settings do you see your hard disk drives showing that its using the avhd/avhdx files?

I would possibly restart the windows backup service and see if snapshot state changes. Then re-verify the backup configuration to see if it has changed.

Friday, January 2, 2015 4:24 PM
  • DigitalMan161,

The following blog gives details on how to deal with such situation.

https://gilgrossblog.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/cant-remove-hyper-v-backup-checkpointsnapshot-from-vm/

Hope it is helpful.

Do let me know in case if you still have issues.

- Anantesh

• Proposed as answer by Anantesh Marandi Friday, January 2, 2015 6:50 PM
    Friday, January 2, 2015 6:49 PM
  • Hi DigitalMan161,

Was this issue resolved by powershell command "remove-vmsnapshot" ?

Best Regards,

Elton JI

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Monday, January 5, 2015 7:16 AM
  • Hello DigitalMan161,

Was just checking to see if you were able to fix the issue ?

- Anantesh

Monday, January 5, 2015 11:33 PM
  • Hi sorry for the delay.  Strangely enough, after closing and reopening Hyper-V Management console the snapshot disappeared.  I am still confused however on the number of backup copies.  I noticed that it is not retaining some copies again (instead of just 1).  Is it based on disk space available on the backup device?

Thanks for the feedback.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 4:10 PM
  • Hello DigitalMan161,

Yes, it is based on disk space available on the Backup device.

This article would give you more insight on this.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2011/03/14/windows-server-backup-automatic-disk-usage-management.aspx

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

- Anantesh

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 5:13 PM
  • Hi Sir,

I would like to check if you need further assistance .

Best Regards,

Elton JI

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com .

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 5:17 AM