none
Best practice guidelines for building Server Core reference image? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I would like to understand if there any best practice guidelines for building Server Core reference image?

I have build a lot of image for client end server all with GUI, and I have followed Johan Arwidmark guidelines and built it with MDT. I must say Server Core have almost got unnoticed for me, yes I have installed it and looked at it but not more. Now the time have come for us to plan for it. Then the question came to me what about Server Core reference image? Should it be as clean as possible or like I use to build server image Visual C++ runtimes with MDT just select the core image?

I have tried to dig around the net, but havent found what I looking for jet, any advice is welcome..

https://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/578/Building-the-perfect-Windows-Server-2016-reference-image

/SaiTech

Tuesday, June 4, 2019 6:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can deploy it normally as the steps provided by the link.

It applies to the Server Core version.

Core is now less limited because of PowerShell/.NET support, and Core is also less limitied because there are 2 variants:

Still "Core" and the "Minimal Server Interface" where the latter does give you that tiny set of extra options that you probably were missing: Server Manager, MMC, Control Panel (partial). Internet Exlporer is still missing, but normally you don't use that on a Server.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 6, 2019 9:18 AM