none
Product Key for Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate Standard?

Question

• I have recently installed Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate Datacenter, with no issues.  The default key that comes on the ISO works fine for me.  The thing is, the WIM on the ISO contains 4 products -

• Windows Server 8 Beta SERVERSTANDARDCORE
    • Windows Server 8 Beta SERVERSTANDARD
    • Windows Server 8 Beta SERVERDATACENTERCORE
    • Windows Server 8 Beta SERVERDATACENTER

I placed these on my WDS Server, and successfully built using the "Windows Server 8 Beta SERVERSTANDARD" image - however during the build it asked me for a product key.  I skipped this, and it seems to have used the default product key of QGNVK-7K3YK-QV24P-4XRMD-3M9X7 - however this Windows installation will not activate.

Does anybody know where we can find a product key that will allow this server to activate?  I want to use this Operating System in a test environment and I have no idea when it's going to keel over and die because it's not activated.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 6:35 AM

Answers

• The product key included in the media is indeed blocked from activation.

I'm not sure that Standard's capabilities have been announced yet or if the limits are fully imposed and tested at this point, which is likely why this edition is unavailable. If you are in the TAP program you might be able to get a personalized product key through Connect and use Standard edition under NDA. As with any pre-release software, it is subject to change between now and RTM so you will want to re-run your tests at RTM as well.

If you cannot obtain a product key, your best bet is to use the server in the grace period. You can rearm Windows several times if the grace period expires. When the grace period expires, the machine will reboot every hour. Use slmgr.vbs /rearm to reset the grace period once it has expired.

Sysprep will also rearm the machine.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:25 AM

All replies

• Use Dism on the command line to upgrade to Datacenter.

C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /set-edition /?

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.2.8400.0

Image Version: 6.2.8400.0

/Set-Edition:<edition_ID> [/ProductKey:<product_key>]
      [/AcceptEula | /GetEula:<path>]

Use the /Set-Edition option to change an offline Windows image to a
      higher edition.
      You can also use /Set-Edition to change an online Windows Server
      operating system to a higher edition.
      The /ProductKey and /AcceptEula arguments are required for an online
      Windows Server operating system but cannot be used in any other scenario.
      Use the /AcceptEula argument to agree to the license terms for the higher
      edition.
      Use the /GetEula:<path> argument to choose a location to save the Eula, so
      that you can review it.

Use the /Get-TargetEditions option to find the <edition_ID> to use with
      the /Set-Edition option.

Examples:
          DISM.exe /Image:C:\test\offline /Set-Edition:Professional
          DISM.exe /online /Set-Edition:ServerDatacenter
            /ProductKey:12345-67890-12345-67890-12345
            /GetEula:C:\Users\Name\Desktop\Eula.rtf
          DISM.exe /online /Set-Edition:ServerDatacenter
            /ProductKey:12345-67890-12345-67890-12345 /AcceptEula

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Hi,

Windows Server 2012 RC contains 4 ‘products’ in the image, however, the default one are SERVERDATACENTERCORE and SERVERDATACENTER.

By the way, in general speaking, a Windows Server Datacenter Edition has all the features/roles with no limitations. Windows Server 2012 is still in Release Candidate, with Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate SERVERDATACENTERCORE or Windows Server 2012 Release Candidate SERVERDATACENTER, you can test all available features/roles, why did you want to test a standard edition with limitations?

Thursday, June 21, 2012 3:04 AM
  • Hello Vincent.

We're a service provider, and as our customers will be wanting to upgrade to Windows 2012 the day it is released (seriously), I want to ensure that all of their software works on our servers.  It would be better to ensure full compatibility using the most accurate OS in the rare case that a component which is in Datacenter and not in Standard causes (or mitigates) issues.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:12 AM
  • I appreciate your input, but your suggestion does not help me.  I do not have a Product Key for Server Datacenter either, so I am unable to perform the steps you recommended.

We're also sidestepping the actual question here - upgrading to a different edition of Windows isn't the solution I wanted.  I could have just installed Datacenter in the first place.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:19 AM
  • The product key included in the media is indeed blocked from activation.

I'm not sure that Standard's capabilities have been announced yet or if the limits are fully imposed and tested at this point, which is likely why this edition is unavailable. If you are in the TAP program you might be able to get a personalized product key through Connect and use Standard edition under NDA. As with any pre-release software, it is subject to change between now and RTM so you will want to re-run your tests at RTM as well.

If you cannot obtain a product key, your best bet is to use the server in the grace period. You can rearm Windows several times if the grace period expires. When the grace period expires, the machine will reboot every hour. Use slmgr.vbs /rearm to reset the grace period once it has expired.

Sysprep will also rearm the machine.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 7:25 AM
  • Thank you :)

I will use it for as long as I can and rearm if necessary.  Activation isn't important for my actual testing, but it was good to learn that the Activation issue is intentional, and not a fault.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:47 AM