none
Employees Unable to Load Public Website Inside Network, But Site is Up RRS feed

• Question

• My company has taken over the IT for a company and it appears their Windows Server 2012 configuration is a bit messy when it comes to DNS and DHCP. One issue being experienced on site is typing CompanyWebsite.com in their browser, and instead of loading their public website, it either says the site can't be reached or it loads the Microsoft IIS landing page, which makes me think it was going to the server instead of the public domain. I don't have remote access at this time unfortunately, but I'm pretty certain their local domain is CompanyWebsite.com, the same as their public website, which I've read is a no-no. I've heard some peopel avoid this by making their domain CompanyWebsite.Local Instead, but is it too late for that? I didn't set it up, so can I just change the domain name and rejoin all the PCs to the domain? 

Previously, I believe they had a DNS entry that was making their company website still work inside, but it doesn't seem to work anymore. I've tried to make A Host records pointing CompanyWebsite.com to the public IP address, but it still wasn't working, so I don't know if I was making improper entries, if other entries are conflicting, or if there's something else going on.

I can reach the public website by typing the Public IP into their browser, but that's it for now. Another thing I notice is when I load the public website, it says the site is unsecure. I don't know if this might mean that one of their services lapsed and isn't being paid for anymore, or if this is totally irrelevant.

Any recommendations on DNS entries to make, other garbage entries to make sure to delete, or other server options to look for, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks for the help.

Monday, August 5, 2019 6:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in this forum.

It is not recommended that you change the domain name.

I would suggest that you can try to resolve using nslookup CompanyWebsite.com.

Based on your description, when you typed CompanyWebsite.com in the browser, it loaded the Microsoft IIS landing page. Please check if the domain name of IIS and the name of website are the same.

In addition, regarding "I'm pretty certain their local domain is CompanyWebsite.com , the same as their public website.",I found a similar post about internal domain has the same name as external website.

For your reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/4d97325b-ff3a-4f46-ba6e-dc3f4ff978e1/dns-internal-domain-has-same-name-as-external-website?forum=winserverNIS

Best regards,

Abby

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situation.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Abby

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 8, 2019 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best regards,

Abby

Monday, August 12, 2019 10:01 AM