Could two server create a cluster for hyperV failover RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have already deploy two windows 2016 standard server for hyperV and File Sharing purpose. Need I deploy the third server or install failover clustering service on DC.

Another question now I use ISCSI to map san storage. I would like to know I should deploy hyperV virtual fibre channel SANs ?

I find it is little strange for me .

Saturday, February 8, 2020 1:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Domain controllers have their own built-in high availability.  You cannot cluster a domain controller.  Simply have at least two in your environment and they will back up each other.

To address the question in your title, yes, physical servers can be clustered in order to provide failover for virtual machines.  Classic failover clustering requires some form of external, shared storage to be shared/accessed by all nodes of the cluster, such as FC or a separate iSCSI or SMB solution.  Generally there is some form of storage HA provided by the storage vendor to ensure the failure of a single component in the storage environment does not bring down all the storage.  
    Since Windows Server 2016, Microsoft has also created an environment that allows for local storage to be used as the shared storage, but it requires specific hardware and networking configurations.  There are also third-party products that can convert local storage into the shared storage required for a cluster.  

For more information about clustering, start by reading this document - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/failover-clustering/failover-clustering-overview 

It will provide a good background for you.

tim

Saturday, February 8, 2020 2:54 PM
  • While it is possible to cluster domain controllers, this is not recommended. 

Details at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/281662/how-to-use-windows-server-cluster-nodes-as-domain-controllers

hth
    Marcin

Saturday, February 8, 2020 4:35 PM
  • Depends upon what you mean when you 'say cluster domain controllers'.  The nodes can be domain controllers, but the HA comes from Active Directory and not from the cluster, as one cannot install the AD components to cluster shared storage.  It still has to be stored on local disks on the cluster.

"cannot cluster domain controllers for fault tolerance. You can promote computers to be domain controllers, and then you can install the Cluster service on those computers, but there is no method to store Active Directory on any one of the cluster's managed drives. There is no "failover" of Active Directory. Having multiple domain controllers are by the very nature deliver high availability of directory services."

Therefore, I stand by my original statement that you cannot cluster domain controllers.  My definition of clustering is that a role uses cluster resources and can fail over from one node to another.  

tim

Sunday, February 9, 2020 2:29 PM
  • Hi,

>>Need I deploy the third server or install failover clustering service on DC.

You have already deploy two nodes for your cluster, you didn't need to deploy the third server or install failover  cluster on your DC. 

In fact, We do not recommend that you install cluster services or other services on the DC, if you want to add other nodes to your cluster, you should prepare another server as your new cluster node.

For your another question, you can refer to this link about failover cluster hardware and storage requirements:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/failover-clustering/clustering-requirements

Hope this can help you.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact

Monday, February 10, 2020 2:15 AM
  • Now, I deploy two windows 2016 standard server having already installed failover cluster manager. And hyperv VM can successful migrate each other. But deploy another service file server, there is error 

I tried to join the domain using other machines, it is able to join.

• Edited by wonglihuang Monday, February 10, 2020 5:09 AM
    Monday, February 10, 2020 5:06 AM
  • Are you sure you are operating with Windows Server Standard hosting your Active Directory?  There is no limit to the number of computer accounts that can be created in a domain created on Windows Server Standard.

tim

Monday, February 10, 2020 2:53 PM
  • I solve it according to this site

https://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0001536

Tuesday, February 11, 2020 1:50 AM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear the good news!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us and please mark the useful replies as answers.

Really appreciate your cooperation.

Best Regards,

Daniel

• Marked as answer by wonglihuang Friday, February 14, 2020 8:48 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by wonglihuang Friday, February 14, 2020 8:48 AM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2020 3:13 AM
  • Hi,

please mark the useful replies as answers to help other community members with the same questions and quickly find useful answers.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Best Regards,

Daniel

Wednesday, February 12, 2020 6:13 AM