none
Disable Sleep Mode and Enable Hibernate though Group Policy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Experts,

We have domain Windows Server 2012 R2 with domain environment.

For Bitlocker implementation as phase i want to disable sleep mode and enable hibernate for all laptops across the organization and this tasks can be easily achievable through group policy.

I have two different link for configuring on single device which is confusing me which one is correct also i am not able to find the setting to deploy it from group policy.

Link 1

https://www.farbeyondcode.com/Stop-using-sleep-mode-with-Windows-Bitlocker-for-better-security--Learn-how-to-use-hibernate-in-Windows-8--5-3000.html

Link 2

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/Azure/en-US/98128a76-415d-403e-8420-e631be7858d7/gpo-to-change-all-windows-10-sleep-options-to-hibernate?forum=winserverGP

Please help and correct me in this regard.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 7:56 AM

All replies

• i just make changes in preferences

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 8:12 AM
  • What is the OS version of your client computers?

hth
    Marcin

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 12:51 PM
  • Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 10 Pro
    Wednesday, January 24, 2018 6:54 AM
  • On Windows 8.1 Sleep button or option is disabled but when i close the lid it's not going on hibernate and when i press power button it's not going on hibernate.

Please see the client side screen shots.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 7:46 AM
  • Hi,

To enforce the settings, we should configure them under Computer Configuration – Policies – Administrative Templates – System – Power Management.

Detailed settings are similar as Rob said:

Disable Sleep mode:
    Disable policy: Allow standby states(S1-S3) when sleeping (Plugged in/ on battery).

Enable Hibernate time out:
    Enable policy: Specify the system hibernate timeout (plugged in/on battery).

Change the power button action.
    Similar as Rob said, but depends on your needs.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:53 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    William

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:58 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    William

Friday, January 26, 2018 10:13 AM
  • Apologies for not replying.

The Policy is successfully applied but any action of hibernate lid close or power button the drives remain unlock and the above policy is not helping for the password requirement after hibernate.

Friday, January 26, 2018 10:36 AM
  • GP is successfully applied but when i close the lid or press the power button bitlocker drive remains unlock
    Monday, January 29, 2018 5:05 AM
  • Hi,

Since you have submitted another thread with the same query in Group Policy forum, I will keep working with the issue on in Group Policy forum. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/d9aef1fa-c127-4f04-8150-e23a0efb99ca/disable-sleep-mode-and-enable-hibernate-though-group-policy?forum=winserverGP

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

William

Monday, January 29, 2018 6:22 AM