none
Network printers disappear upon reconnect to a disconnected session.

Question

• I am having this weird issue with our printers, we have a 2012 R2 RDS Farm. Its working great expect one issue.

I can add Network Printers (been testing with 7 shared from UNC \\printserver\) and then login at another workstation or thin client and have my session pulled over from one machine to another and all the printers disappear, then after a few moments maybe 1,2 or all the printers will come back. Most time its only two or one. Its also random, could be any combination of printers and models.

I see in the registry under the user that the printer is there in Printers\Connections. I have also ran ProcMon and saw that spooler scans upon reconnect the registry tree but will randomly stop or skip keys. I am not sure what is causing this, but I can replicate it over and over again.

Is there any reason windows as remote desktop server would just upon disconnect or reconnect purge the printers?

Has anyone see this?

I see nothing in the event logs at all for printers, I have used the HP UPD and also the device model print driver, disabled Easy Print you name it. Still an issue.

We are also using Wyse Thin Clients, don't know if that will help.

Thanks!

Monday, June 23, 2014 11:28 PM

Answers

• Dharmesh,

Thanks for the advice, but this is a network printer attached in the session, the redirects from local client are working great. I have a support ticket open and I think we solved it. Upon disconnect of the session it was removing all the network printers, so when a remote desktop session was open on one client and they went to another room and it pulled it over it would auto remove all network printers. Then it would try to add them back but most the time it would lose almost all of them.

The regkey I had to do was this one to fix the issue.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider]
     "RemovePrintersAtLogoff"=dword:00000000

This reg key solves the removing of printers, so far so good.
    I would never have thought a key that talks about At Logoff would also mean disconnected RDP sessions.

Will update this post once I know for sure its resolved.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

Remote Desktop Services provides printer redirection, which routes printing jobs from a server to a printer that is attached to a client computer or to a shared printer that is available to the client computer. When a user establishes a remote session with an RD Session Host server, the redirected printer will be available to applications running in the remote session.
    By default, an RD Session Host server that is running Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 first tries to use the Remote Desktop Services Easy Print driver. If the client computer does not support this driver, the RD Session Host server looks for a matching printer driver installed on the RD Session Host server. You can either install a matching printer driver on the RD Session Host server, or you can create a custom printer mapping file.

Disconnect and reconnect the Remote Desktop Services session:
    To try to resolve this issue, the user should disconnect the Remote Desktop Services session, and then reconnect.

Verify:
    To verify that printer redirection is working properly, establish a remote session with the RD Session Host server and check that the redirected printer is available and is functioning as expected.
    (Quoted from below thread)

Printers disappearing from Remote desktop Session Win 2008 DataCenter R264 bit

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:01 AM
  • Dharmesh,

Thanks for the advice, but this is a network printer attached in the session, the redirects from local client are working great. I have a support ticket open and I think we solved it. Upon disconnect of the session it was removing all the network printers, so when a remote desktop session was open on one client and they went to another room and it pulled it over it would auto remove all network printers. Then it would try to add them back but most the time it would lose almost all of them.

The regkey I had to do was this one to fix the issue.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Providers\Client Side Rendering Print Provider]
     "RemovePrintersAtLogoff"=dword:00000000

This reg key solves the removing of printers, so far so good.
    I would never have thought a key that talks about At Logoff would also mean disconnected RDP sessions.

Will update this post once I know for sure its resolved.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 6:57 PM