none
Get-ADPartitionBackupStatus gallery.technet.microsoft.com script

Question

• Hello,

This may be stretching your good will but... Ian Farr [MSFT] has written a function: Get-ADPartitionBackupStatus.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Get-ADPartitionBackupStatus-d6fc388d

Description:

"For each partition on a domain controller checks the last backup time. Uses AD replication metadata to retrieve last backup information on for all naming contexts on a single DC or a supplied list of DCs. Writes a warning to screen if an NC hasn't been backed up within the supplied number of days ($BackupThreshold).

Can produce a CSV report of the last backup time of each directory partiton with the use of the -CsvOutput switch."

He added a comment to his Q&A:

"Written March 20, 2015
    Ian Farr [MSFT]
    Final word (for now)...

I'm looking at adding functionality to trace the source of the last good backup for a partition. 

If you look at the uuidLastOriginatingDsaInvocationID attribute in the returned metadata, you'll see the DSA invocationID of the directory server that last backed up a partition. Now, this might not necessarily be the current DSA invocationID  - have a look at repadmin /showsig * - so I', planning to try and resolve this bit of invocationID metadata to a DC...

Fun, fun, fun!"

I think it's a great script but I hoped he'd been able to chase down the potential DC that backs up the partition - so far nothing back.

Appreciate this may be stretching the good will of you guys though so no worries if it's not something you're easily able to help with.

Cheers

Function Get-ADPartitionBackupStatus {

##########################################################################################################
    <#
    .SYNOPSIS
        For each partition on a domain controller checks the last backup time.

.DESCRIPTION
        Uses AD replication metadata to retrieve last backup information on for all naming contexts on
        a single DC or a supplied list of DCs.

Writes a warning to screen if an NC hasn't been backed up within the supplied number of days ($BackupThreshold).

Can produce a CSV report of the last backup time of each directory partiton with the use of the
        -CsvOutput switch.

.EXAMPLE
        Get-ADPartitionBackupStatus -DC NINJADC01 -BackupThreshold 2

Writes to screen the details of any naming contexts not backed up within the last two days 
        on the domain controller NINJADC01.

.EXAMPLE
        (Get-ADForest).Domains | 
        ForEach-Object {Get-ADDomainController -Filter * -Server $_} | 
        Get-ADPartitionBackupStatus -CsvOutput

Checks all domain controllers in the forest and writes to screen the details of any naming 
        contexts not backed up within the last seven days. 

Creates a CSV report in the current working directory containing the last backup time of 
        every partition of every domain controller in the forest.

.NOTES
        THIS CODE-SAMPLE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED 
        OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND/OR 
        FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This sample is not supported under any Microsoft standard support program or service. 
        The script is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind. Microsoft further disclaims all
        implied warranties including, without limitation, any implied warranties of merchantability
        or of fitness for a particular purpose. The entire risk arising out of the use or performance
        of the sample and documentation remains with you. In no event shall Microsoft, its authors,
        or anyone else involved in the creation, production, or delivery of the script be liable for 
        any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of business profits, 
        business interruption, loss of business information, or other pecuniary loss) arising out of 
        the use of or inability to use the sample or documentation, even if Microsoft has been advised 
        of the possibility of such damages, rising out of the use of or inability to use the sample script, 
        even if Microsoft has been advised of the possibility of such damages. 

#>
    ##########################################################################################################

#Requires -version 3
    #Requires -modules ActiveDirectory

##Define and validate parameters
        [CmdletBinding()]
        Param(
              #The target domain controller(s)
              [parameter(Mandatory,Position=1,ValueFromPipeline)]
              [ValidateScript({Get-ADDomainController -Identity $_})] 
              $DC,

##The number of days after which we flag that a partition hasn't been backed up
              [parameter(Mandatory = $false,Position=2)]
              [ValidateRange(1,180)] 
              [Int32]$BackupThreshold = 7,

#Whether to create a CSV report
              [switch]
              $CsvOutput
              )

##Begin block
        Begin {

#Obtain a datetime object before which accounts are considered stale
            $DaysAgo = (Get-Date).AddDays(-$BackupThreshold) 

#Check if we need to create a CSV report
            If ($CsvOutput) {

#Specify a CSV report
                $CsvReport = ".\$(Get-Date -Format yyMMddHHmmss)_AD_DC_NC_Backup_Report.csv"

#Add header to CSV Report
                Add-Content -Value "DC_NAME,PARTITION_NAME,BACKUP_DATE" -Path $CsvReport

}   #End of If ($CsvReport)

}   #End of Begin block

##Process block
        Process {

#Nullify the $Partitions variable
            $Partitions = $null

#Get a list of partitions on our DC
            $Partitions = (Get-ADRootDSE -Server $DC).namingContexts

#Check we have partitions
            if ($Partitions) {

#Loop through each partition
                foreach ($Partition in $Partitions) {

#Nullify the $Object variable
                    $Object = $null

#Get the replication metadate for the current partition using a constructed attribute
                    $Object = Get-ADObject -Identity $Partition -Properties msDS-ReplAttributeMetaData -Server $DC -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

#Check we have an object
                    If ($Object) {

#Loop through each object in the metadata
                        $Object."msDS-ReplAttributeMetaData" | ForEach-Object {

#Replace trailing null character
                            $MetaData = [XML]$_.Replace("`0","")

#Loop through the XML nodes
                            $MetaData.DS_REPL_ATTR_META_DATA | ForEach-Object {

#Check for dSASignature attribute
                                If ($_.pszAttributeName -eq "dSASignature") {

#Create a date time object for the time of the last backup
                                     $LastBackup = Get-Date $_.ftimeLastOriginatingChange 

#Check and report on the date of the update
                                    If ($LastBackup -lt $DaysAgo) {

#Write details to console
                                        Write-Warning -Message "$DC - The directory partition $Partition was last backed up on $(($LastBackup).DateTime)"

}   #End of If ($LastBackup -lt $DaysAgo)

#Check if we need to create a CSV report
                                    If ($CsvOutput) {

#Add information to our report
                                        Add-Content -Value "$DC,`"$Partition`",$(($LastBackup).DateTime)" -Path $CsvReport

}   #End of If ($CsvReport)

}   #End of If ($_.pszAttributeName -eq "dSASignature")

}   #End of ForEach-Object 

}   #End of ForEach-Object

}   #End of If ($Object)

}   #End of foreach ($Partition in $Partitions)

}   #End of If ($Partitions)

}   #End of Process block

}   #End of Function Get-ADPartitionBackupStatus

• Edited by David4576 Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:50 PM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:47 PM

All replies

• Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:25 AM
  • Please post Gallery script questions here: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Get-ADPartitionBackupStatus-d6fc388d/view/Discussions#content

\_(ツ)_/

Thanks jrv - sorry I should have said I posted the question there originally, a couple of months ago. I was just thinking as there hasn't been any sign of Ian F there's a chance he's moved on or he isn't checking the site anymore; so I thought I'd post here in case it's something relatively easy or not too much effort. I do appreciate it's a touch much though so no worries if it's something I should leave to the Q&A section of this code.

Thanks

• Edited by David4576 Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:41 AM
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:38 AM
  • You are asking a very broad question which comes down to. "Can someone modify a script for me that I do not understand?"

We do not re-write or customize scripts found on the Internet.  If you ask a specific "scripting" question we can try to answer it.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:43 AM
  • I do have a specific question: this script grabs the last backup time of an Active Directory partition. I'd like to figure out which Domain Controller this backup was taken on. I think you can use the uuidLastOriginatingDsaInvocationID attribute which returns the DSA invocationID metadata of the directory server that last backed up a partition. I'd like to add this to the script so I know which Domain Controller the backup was taken on. 

The author of the script realised this and added a comment to his Q&A section. This was 2 years ago. I've since added a comment but it's been 2 months and I suspect he's moved on.

I know someone else who would find this useful so I thought I'd post this question.

I do understand though that this is stretching your good will so no worries if you'd rather I leave it to the Q&A section.

Thanks

Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:58 AM
  • What command are you trying to modify?  Post your script.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:02 AM
  • I haven't made any more progress than the original script that I posted in the original post.
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 1:06 AM
  • Anyone? :)
    Friday, April 21, 2017 1:37 PM